Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Default Teen boards are NASTY!!

I've been popping into the teen boards recently, because I have a teen that goes there and I have to admit I'm shocked.

The adult personal attacks PALE in comparison! There are about 3 or 4 regular posters who do nothing but attack other people. They have yet to contribute to a single conversation except to bash another poster.

I know Jim has his hands full trying to delete posts on *that* board, but I just wonder where all that angry and frustration comes from.

I am very, very close to telling my teen he can't visit the teen board anymore. They were playing the "would you rather" game., where you post something like: "would you rather have waffles or pancakes?" The poster answers the question and then poses one of his/her own. Here's a sample: "Sex or give head?" "Catch your parents having sex, or have them catch you having sex?"

Yikes.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Teen boards are NASTY!!

Dorothy:
If you see a post or thread that is questionable please Hit the "Report This Message" or email.

jimbragg@cruisemates.com
mmastell@cruisemates.com
donnanye@cruisemates.com

We can't be everywhere all the time but do try our best to keep things under control.

The messages in the thread you are referring to have been deleted.

Thanks,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Admiral

I pop in to the Teen Board once in a while to check on the pulse of the teens. It's amazing to me how many of them don't take the time to read their posts before hitting the post button. The spelling, grammar and sentence structure is awful.

The bickering, personal attacks, and alliances do not represent the CM community in my opinion.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Admiral

I think you're right Thomas, the teen board doesn't reflect the rest of the boards.

MIke, I know you guys are doing a good job and I have, in the past, reported a message. Thanks for watching out for our teens.

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
debp

My teen was excited to find the teen board before our first cruise. However, after the foul language, talk of drugs, alcohol, and sex, he gave up and was very dissappointed. Not that my kids are perfect, but I don't know where some of these kids come from. I read their posts before my first cruise and I almost didn't book a cruise because I felt my teens would be exposed to alcohol, sex, and drugs while on board. I am pleased to say that on our Golden sailing we didn't experience any problems. Cruises attract a cross-section of society so I know you will always have all kinds. It is a shame, however, that kids who aren't "cool", like my kids, aren't assertive and experienced enough to drive the "cool" kids away instead of the other way around.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Passenger

I'll tell you what - I would'nt let MY teen on that board! I've never heard such nastiness towards each other. And Thomas, you're right - the spelling and grammer are atrocious.

Caroline
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Teen boards are NASTY!!

They are trying to "out do" each other in their verbal temerity under the cover of internet anonymity!

Just overgrown kids! If I had a choice, I wouldn't let their age and biological develpment advance faster than their wisdom. Hell, I don't want them to grow up at all!

banker
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I'm about ready to pull the plug on my son's involvement on the board and he's NOT happy.

I'm honestly not as worried about the foul language and the talk of sex (I trust his value system and character to weed it out and ignore it) it's more the ugly attacks! He *says* it doesn't bother him, even though he has been the target of several attacks, but I can't imagine it doesn't.

Sigh! Being the mother of a teenager is the most frustrating.

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
kar06

I am just out of my teens (turned 20 a couple months ago) and tried to go on the teen board before my last cruise a year ago - I couldn't believe the immaturity!!! I decided to stick to the reguar boards from then on...
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Dorothy?..I too have visited that board when things are slow elsewhere. I have read many of the posts there and have seen DTP's. I think that young man is just that. A young Man, HEAVY on the man. He does conduct himself in a very mature fashion. I dont think you have anything to worry about. Dont let him read this or his head may be too big to get into his bedroom..He does just fine in my opinion. As for some of the others..It only takes a few to make the whole bunch look bad. I think most try to conduct themselves in a good manor. As for their sentence structure and spelling..they do use a lot of shortcuts in typing. I know Jim has talked his head off to that young group and he does do a great job, but he DOES have his hands full. It's tough being a parent of a teen and I know from experience. But it is tough being a teen in these days and times also.
John ( who really does care about our young people )

Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:34 PM
Terri Ann

Dorothy and all,

It is rough being a parent of a teenager. You are darned if you do and you are darned if you don't. It is a shame that the teen board has certain "elements" that take away from its original purpose of letting teens message each other about their joy of cruising and decent topics. I have noticed that when your son replies to a topic on the "big kids" board his replies have been mature and appropriate. I am sorry he has been personally attacked. He is probably light years ahead of some of the other teens in maturity. I admire that you care about your son and activities and feelings.
Banker is right, they are for the most part "showing off" or showing their a-- just to supposedly "look" mature. I feel for your possibility of pulling the plug. I have been there. Sometimes we have to be the parent "police". It does not make us popular for awhile, but if we do not care, who will? I admire the job the moderators do, they have to be looking at the boards constantly to delete inappropriate messages. Maybe a compromise could be worked out with your son to take a 2 week time-out from the boards and then let him back in to see if things have cooled down as far the attacks are concerned,etc. I also feel for him because there is so little that is out there for them because of their age, not little kids anymore, but not adults yet either. I know it can be frustrating, he will be twenty before you know it and you will wonder where the time went. Sorry for the long post, have a great weekend.

Terri Ann
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Now, if only the parents of these "Supposed Young Adults" (better known as teens) would ACUTALLY READ what their darlings post, I think many of those would have their computer priveleges pulled ASAP. But, there are those parents who don't give a rip either. We as the public have to live with that. That doesn't mean we have to tolerate it though!

Dorothy - your son has always been mature and responsible in his postings...I enjoy reading his posts on the "adult" boards!

Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Good point Lisa,

I'm not there yet (kids 5 and 6) but my observation is that after a certain point, if you try to "limit" teens or "pull" any privileges, or even stop them from associating with certain other teens that we would consider to be a "bad" influence, the teens become even more rebellious, and you lose further chances down the road of guiding them into more responsible lives.

My respect to those of you that have raised fine adults, and my sympathies to those like us that still have to go through it, may God give us the widsom.

banker
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
ESS

Dorothy

Teen behavior suprises you? I worked at a JCC many years ago for two years. As a result of that experience - I decided not to have any children of my own. Best decision I ever made.
At least the obnoxious teen behavior is limited to their own boards. On the ship - there may be no way to avoid such behavior. Perhaps we should count our blessings that we don't have to deal with that kind of behavior here.
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Banker - I agree that forbidden fruit is tempting, very tempting! But, you really need to decide which is more important.......the bad influence and the public personification of that, or maybe facing some initial anger and rebellion and eventual acceptance. I was not, according to my Dad, a "really bad" teen, I did push the limits some but not on the big issues. But, my brother and sister, boy did they push the limits and you should have seen the arguments and tantrums (I'm 7 years older than my sis and 10 years older than my bro)..........but my parents held fast and eventually my siblings did toe the line. And you know what.......today they say they are very grateful for what my parents did!

Old October 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM
rama

Dorothy, the reason Hadley is dissed on the Teen Cruisers board is because he continually floods the room with inane one-phrase comments like:

here we go again

KS we said the smae thing

jim plz kick him off

thank you jim

sory mis spel chek

geez chill out man

oy vey jim this is a fine post

lol thats funny lmao

hey thats cold man

^^ hes cool

think my frinds did

no

yep yep

Those are direct quotes of his annoying and frequent posts. If anybody acted like that in THIS room, they would get the same treatment.
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Admiral

You're right Rama, he DOES post those annoying 1 liners....along with about 90% of the other teens! He's not the only victim of the nastiness - it's a constant with a few of the posters. The only thing a few of the teens ever post is insults or slams against other posters. I just assume they are frustrated and angry - 2 emotions not all that uncommon with teens.

Thanks BigJohn, Lisa and TerriAnn. He's a good kid and I'm proud of him.

As far as the grammar thing - I asked him what was going on. He has really good grammar and is an okay speller. He explained to me that the boards are a place teens like to relax and not have to worry about "school" stuff. I was tempted to lecture about the importance of good communication in all areas and at all times, but decided to let it go.

All this reminds me that I wouldn't be teenager again for all the money in the world!

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:42 PM
rama

Dorothy,

He is singled out because he is the worst. I know as a mom that is hard to hear and yeah it is kind of a Lord of the Flies/Piggy type thing, but Golding understood human nature to a tee.

Yeah we r frustrated and yeah, we r angry (are you going to get drafted to die in Iraq?). Realistic considerations bring out emotions like frustration and anger.

As far as the "grammar thing", why do u care about grammar in a chat room? It seems pointless to me; this is not a job interview. Shouldn't communication be key?
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Yes rama, but effective communication is only possible with consistency,

and consistency is derived from everyone using the correct spelling and grammar.

yew nowe wut I mene !

banker
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
First Mate

If I have to take time to decipher the meaning, it's not worth reading in the first place. Since the language you use is the only evidence we have to evaluate broader questions of your intelligence, character, and self-worth, the effort you make will be reflected in the opinion others hold of you.

Old October 25th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Admiral

And on the boards Rama, the written word is all we have. 100% of my impression of anyone is by their written word. I can't hear your tone of voice, I can't even see the spark (or not) of intelligence in a person's eyes.

If you use bad grammar, then be prepared for someone drawing a conclusion of you that might not be accurate.

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Admiral

mie gramhar iz bad butt i is stil a good gye ain't i dorthy?

bankur

PS - i spel betur than i kount
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Why does it matter how we teens spell if we can understand it? SSHHH! It's actually a conspiracy so the parents won't know what we're saying!
Kerry M.
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Admiral

You is mostest kind and niz, Banker.

Kerry, I don't actually find it easier to read, but many teens do and as long as YOU guys are happy with the way in which you communicate, go for it!

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Hey,
Its teen-host Dan, and wow- I am glad that everyone has found a place to "gripe" about the teen boards! At least it sounds like some of you are aware for the reasons for your gripes. I try to keep it calm and clean, but know that I cant control all the annoying posts.

The teen boards is one of the fastest growing boards on this site- please dont discourage your teens from posting.

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I'm glad I don't have a teen, but if I did I wouldn't let them near your board Dan!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Dan, I know you're doing your best, buddy and many of us really appreciate your efforts, but some of those posters need a swift kick in the.......asinine, aren't they?

I agree that this gripes board might be a better place for MANY of the gripes that are currently clogging up the teen board.

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old October 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM
debp

You know, I went back to the teen board today and read some of the messages. I think I have to apologize for my earlier remarks because it seems that the board is much much better than 6-8 months ago. I was actually impressed with some of the posts this morning discussing the war and election. Although I guess they aren't supposed to post about politics, they seemed honest and from the heart. Kudos to whoever is maintaining this board. I will have my teen take a look again.
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Dartoid

With all due respect, Dorothy, if I poped onto this "Grips" area and found that my mom had written the kind of messages you have written I would be embarrased. This is not to say that I don't love my mom. This is not to say that I would not be proud that she came to my defense but, jeez, I can stand on my own two feet, sort right from wrong. I am familiar with your son and his posts. He takes some grief. I have given him some grief. From time to time everybody gets a little grief. But I think very highly of him, the way he thinks and what he has to say. To refuse to let him visit the site, to make him take a two week time out, in my humble opinion, is hardly the way to help him learn.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:45 PM
rama

Good comments, Dartoid, I agree.

Hadley is Hadley (harmless) and seems like a pretty nice kid actually when he calms down, but the posts that PO me are the righteous old ppl who act like we owe them respect by virtue of their age. Sorry, bullies r bullies whether 16 or 56.

This behavior isn't new. Old ppl in the 50s cried about juvenile delilquency. In the 40s, university heads said teens didn't have the moral fiber to fight Hitler. In 1914, they said youngsters weren't smart enough pass army tests to fight in WWI. In the 19th century, they said teens lacked the morality to understand the issues surrounding the Civil War.
And so it goes . . .

My 2 cents.