Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Old January 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Pack lite for 2007 cruising because......

delete
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Hello Angelgal !
I agree to pack light in that most don't REALLY care how others dressed.
I do however love to dress up in the evenings so I take the black suit. The thing is I look like a Parrot-head all the freaking time and therefor it's fun to look the part of a gent on vacation.
You were on the Valor and the Pride, if I construe correctly ? Last year I was on the Pride's sister the Legend and this year I'm going on the Valor. To you how do the Spirit Class( Pride) and the Conquest class ( Valor) compare ? thanks... 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Yeoman

Hi Thoth, Carnival Pride ship is a lot classier, and the food is better, and the entertainment is better and the music for dancing is better, and finally the Karaoke is better than the Carnival Valor. I don't plan to ever cruise on the Valor unless I get a free cruise on it.lol.

I plan to do a cruise review of the Valor. Check it out. Angel gal
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Yeoman

Experienced travelers say to pack your suitcase and then take half of everything out.

Trying to pack lighter, I have stopped planning to wear a different outfit to dinner each night. If there are two formal nights, I wear the same thing each night but maybe with different accessories. Also, a nice pair of black slacks can be worn with different top for the casual nights.

Also, I have a neat fold-up canvas tote bag that I bought in Alaska that I will not travel without. It folds totally flat and I slide it into the outside zipper compartment of my big suitcase. Sometimes I don't have to use it, but if I do any shopping and need the space, I always have that bag. It is also great for carrying dirty clothes home.

We gals know what a pain it is to struggle with luggage and the less we pack, the better.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM
First Mate

Neutral bottoms (pants and skirts) and colorful tops...that's my forumla! Mix and match is the way to go, and still look caribbean and festive.

Ship's laundry services are generally very reasonably priced and they do an awesome job. I am planning to pack for only one week on my upcoming B2B, and utilize the ship's laundry to get through.

And Pat,
I also have a duffle bag that I shove in the big front pocket of my suitcase. One suitcase, a big carry-on "purse", and the extra duffle in the pocket...that's it for me.

I've never experienced going through customs without luggage. That is the whole point, that you have it with you for them to inspect if need be. You can still get a porter, but they come with you through customs. I've done self-disembark on my last two cruises, so I haven't experienced it the regular way in over a year now...so I could be wrong.

Tracy
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Thoth, Carnival Pride ship is a lot classier, and the food is better, and the entertainment is better and the music for dancing is better, and finally the Karaoke is better than the Carnival Valor. I don't plan to ever cruise on the Valor unless I get a free cruise on it.lol.

I plan to do a cruise review of the Valor. Check it out. Angel gal
Yikess!! Sounds like the Valor might be too large for her own good? I'll find out in May. The largest ship I've ever been on was the Legend which a sister ship to the Pride, both at 88,000 tons. The Valor is 110,000 which is quit a leap.

/ticker.png">
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Yeoman

I have decided to choose the color black for a skirt and evening pants. Choose festive accessories in different colors. For day wear... I wear a short skirt and a cotton blouse and walking shoes for ports. I pack sandals for the beach , and dancing black shoes. I plan to cut out the heavy fashion jewelry and heavy items. I plan to down size the toiletries too. That is how I plan to travel lite. Angel gal
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

I plan to do a cruise review of the Valor. Check it out. Angel gal[/quote]
Yikess!! Sounds like the Valor might be too large for her own good? I'll find out in May. The largest ship I've ever been on was the Legend which a sister ship to the Pride, both at 88,000 tons. The Valor is 110,000 which is quit a leap. [/quote]

Can you imagine going on the new RCCL in a few years at 220,000 tons!!!
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pack lite for 2007 cruising because......

Had the pick up your own luggage treatment when sailing through a Canadian border crossing last year on a bus on the way to the Statendam. Everything was unloaded from the bus and everyone had to pull their bags out and haul them through customs. Wonder if this is a security thing - forcing you to stay with your bag?

Quote:
I couldn't believe that the Carnival Valor made us pick up our luggage before going through customs. That was hard to do since I had two suitcases, one carry on bag and a heavy purse. My cruise-mate had to help me with my luggage. It was a super long walk and long line to get to the customs.
I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD TO DO THAT on any cruise ship.
Cunard: (1)
HAL: (26)
P&O: (1)
Princess: (1)
RCI: (5)
Cunard (1)
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Yeoman

When ships end up in Ensenada, Mexico as their last port..... and you get on a bus to cross the border.... there will be tons of buses lined up and cruisers have to take all their luggage through customs and the bus will be waiting for you on the u.s.a. side. I had that experience after the 9/11 incident. But the u.s.a. customs decided that our bus had won the lottery and all we had to do was take our carry on bags to cross the border to the u.s.a side.
I noticed that some buses were chosen to have all of their luggage taken off their buses. So it was random selection.... this is why the customs guy called it the lottery.
Now here is something nice that customs did for the Handicapped cruisers.... They had a customs guy just go into the bus and ask to check their passports and carry on bags and were allowed to stay on the bus.
When I looked back at the buses I noticed there were like 10 buses or more in line filled with cruisers.
I have decided to never do that again because it is such a hassell.

I guess Canadian customs is also doing the same thing. I truly feel sorry for the old men who have wives who need to pack 5 pieces of old fashion luggage with no wheels. The wives think they look smart with the real leather luggage but the husbands are the ones who end up with bad backs from carrying all that luggage.

I buy cheap lite-weight luggage so it weighs less. The airlines do a great job of messing up expensive or cheap luggage. I end up having to buy new luggage after a while. The cruise lines also mess up and ruin my luggage too.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Here, here on the airlines ruining luggage. Had two expensive roller dive bags destroyed on their flight to a manatee site due to being dropped from some height. Love the ships that come to home ports you can drive to as I cringe when flying all the dive gear of me and my 11 year old.

BTW, the wives are not the biggest baggage carriers - kiddo and I had 4 crew roll aboards and 6 carryons when we went on our last cruise. Hard to hand carry all the cameras, regulators, and etc. if on a plane. Its enough to make you want to ditch SCUBA for submarine trips where gear is not required.

Quote:
When ships end up in Ensenada, Mexico as their last port..... and you get on a bus to cross the border.... there will be tons of buses lined up and cruisers have to take all their luggage through customs and the bus will be waiting for you on the u.s.a. side. I had that experience after the 9/11 incident. But the u.s.a. customs decided that our bus had won the lottery and all we had to do was take our carry on bags to cross the border to the u.s.a side.
I noticed that some buses were chosen to have all of their luggage taken off their buses. So it was random selection.... this is why the customs guy called it the lottery.
Now here is something nice that customs did for the Handicapped cruisers.... They had a customs guy just go into the bus and ask to check their passports and carry on bags and were allowed to stay on the bus.
When I looked back at the buses I noticed there were like 10 buses or more in line filled with cruisers.
I have decided to never do that again because it is such a hassell.

I guess Canadian customs is also doing the same thing. I truly feel sorry for the old men who have wives who need to pack 5 pieces of old fashion luggage with no wheels. The wives think they look smart with the real leather luggage but the husbands are the ones who end up with bad backs from carrying all that luggage.

I buy cheap lite-weight luggage so it weighs less. The airlines do a great job of messing up expensive or cheap luggage. I end up having to buy new luggage after a while. The cruise lines also mess up and ruin my luggage too.
Cunard (1)
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Yeoman

I recently passed up buying a beautiful designer luggage because I felt the luggage would get marked up with scruffy black marks from the airlines.
Plus, I think if the luggage looks expensive... and it did.... someone may want to steal it. It is soooo easy to steal someone's luggage at American airports. At LAX in Los Angeles.... I recently took the wrong piece of luggage home because it looked just like mine. I was too busy cleaning out my purse because I had spilled some liquid in my purse and didn't notice the name tags. It wasn't until I got home when I noticed it was not my luggage. I called the owner because it had his phone number on it.
Continental airlines said they would charge me $38. to deliver my luggage and take his luggage to his home. I said okay because I was too tired to drive back to LAX. I didn't even argue with them that they should have tickets to give to someone as we leave the airports with our luggage. I just wanted my luggage delivered to me. Presently, I have decided to mark it all up with ughy gray duck tape on the luggage so I can tell it is mine. Plus, I need to pay attention to the name tags. I did put some colored ribbons on the top of my luggage but I didn't look for it. I just tought the luggage with the brown checkers was mine.
I have learned my lesson.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Do many of the ships have specific requirements for formal night attire?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeoman

"NO JEANS" for formal nights but some people still get in wearing jeans for formal nights. I have seen them on Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity.
Norwegian is the only one that sticks to the rules of no jeans and no shorts on formal nights.
NO athletic shoes. I never look at peoples feet. BUT... real old ladies can wear athletic shoes because they are safer to walk in. That is allowed.
I have seen women wear tong sandles on formal nights. Tacky but a gal with a pretty dress can get away with it because many gals are wearing the tong sandals on formal nights. That is a given now-a-days.

For guys who don't like to dress up.... you can just wear a shirt or polo shirt with slacks and comfey leather shoes for formal night.

For gals.... a nice church dress or office outfit and you are all set. You can also wear pretty pants or knee lenght shorts that match your outfit.

Most of us Singles love to dress up every night for dinner. On formal nights most gals go all out and wear beautiful gowns.

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WEARING BLACK for formal nights. For example; a man can just wear a black shirt, black slacks and no tie and they will be looking good on formal night. I like silk shirts on guys.

I like to wear a simple black dress with fashion jewelry with a colored wrap to keep myself warm in the air-conditioned restaurant. I always wear flat black shoes. I don't wear hi-heels or tong sandals for dinner.

I PERSONALLY THINK THAT IT IS WRONG FOR THE CRUISE LINES TO BE SOOO OLD FASHION and not allow jeans at formal night or at dinner time. Sometimes they enforce the rules and sometimes they don't.
I prefer not to risk being told that I can't wear jeans at the fancy restaurants so I don't risk wearing jeans.

VTG HOSTED SINGLES are not bothered at all at formal nights because we have our own tables to sit at and we all rush in to get our favorite table. Some singles are in the habit of saving seats for their buddies.
The waiters don't care how we dress. Their goal is to serve us. It is the person who checks you at the door of the restaurant that decides whether sp you can go into the restaurant dressed as you are. But we singles all rush in and they don't have time to look us over.lol.

Do you have any more questions?
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:42 AM
First Mate

If you see guests wearing Hi Wi shirts and jeans at formal dinners it not the fault of the guests but the ship and the cruiseline to enforce the policy.

I have been on a single cruise where I was the only one with a tux and this was a 3 night cruise. I will still bring a tux but only on 7 day and more cruise.

You have to realize most people who cruise never been to a formal event (i.e. gala, socials, etc.) thats why I like to call Carnival the "Walmart" of the sea.

I believe if cruiselines who don't enforce formal dress on formal night should do away with it.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

Yes, it is tacky to be sitting with our beautiful formal outfits and we are sitting with men who are wearing tacky flowered shirts and the women are wearing cotton flowered dresses. They always stand out as looking tacky in their flowered outfits during the whole evening. It's like... can't they afford to buy a lousy black outfit?

Yes, Carnival ships are the Wal-Marts.... but they are the fun ships too.
SOME of their ships have lots of fun things to do as compared to other cruise lines. Remember.... Wal-Marts have great values.lol.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yeoman

I personally love formal nights and think the dress code should be enforced. It is no fun being decked out in sequins, etc. and sitting next to a table of rednecks in jeans and tee shirts. If people do not want to enjoy dressing up for dinner a night or two then they can go to the buffet or order room service and not ruin it for other passengers. I can remember when even on non-formal nights men would wear nice shirts, at least, no jeans or tees, and women would wear dresses or pants suits, no halter tops with their bellies hanging out. Call me old-fashioned, but I think formal nights are about the only thing left from what cruising was meant to be--an elegant vacation experience.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Yeoman

MS. PAT........ You may have just insulted the "RED-NECKS' on this message board.lol. I have seen some really cute red-neck guys wearing tuxs. I can't keep my hands off of them.lol.

I have seen super wealthy men wearing t-shirts and shorts on the Mercury Celebrity ship when I cruised from Hawaii. I heard they were super rich and were allowed to dress in sports clothes for dinner and that included the formal nights. I was happy that their table was not near us. So..... you see... it doesn't really matter where you are from to dress tacky.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
I personally love formal nights and think the dress code should be enforced. It is no fun being decked out in sequins, etc. and sitting next to a table of rednecks in jeans and tee shirts. If people do not want to enjoy dressing up for dinner a night or two then they can go to the buffet or order room service and not ruin it for other passengers. I can remember when even on non-formal nights men would wear nice shirts, at least, no jeans or tees, and women would wear dresses or pants suits, no halter tops with their bellies hanging out. Call me old-fashioned, but I think formal nights are about the only thing left from what cruising was meant to be--an elegant vacation experience.
I'm with you Pat. 8) I have a nice black suit which can pass as a suitable pseudo tux, by simply adding a bow-tie. Last year on the Legend, I felt over-dressed, even on formal nights. On the Valor in May, I'll be dressed well, even if the other guys are wearing denim.

/ticker.png">
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Norwegian is the only one that sticks to the rules of no jeans and no shorts on formal nights.
Gotta disagree with you on this statement Angelgal. NCL doesn't have "required" formal nights since they do the Freestyle Cruising. They do have formal nights on board but it's not mandatory. Also, rumor is thay they will be getting rid of the formal night in the future.

Jeans are allowed in the dining room but still not shorts.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Yeoman

"WOW" Times have changed with NCL since I cruised with them three years ago. They made a big stink that my grand-son was wearing jeans. He had to go back to the cabin to change. It was a regular dinner night too. He is just a little boy and I fought as much as I could but he still had to change.
I love NCL but they are weird about their stupid rules.

It's about time they get rid of the "no jeans" rule. Jeans are super popular all over. I don't even pack jeans just to play it safe.

You must have had a wonderful time for 9 whole days to the Southern Carribean. Angel gal
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Passenger

Quote:
You must have had a wonderful time for 9 whole days to the Southern Carribean. Angel gal
Yes I did. It's sad that it's over but at least I have a couple trips and cruises this year to look forward to.

I highly recommend if anyone has a chance to go to Dominica to visit. I absolutely loved the beauty of this island. Try the Emerald Pool, Twin Falls, and Trafalgar Falls. I'll post a mini review this weekend when I have a chance.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Yeoman

Hi, why don't you post a mini-review as a single guy cruising here on this message board. It is a lot easier to read it than to go looking for it on the cruise section.
I also plan to do my cruise review here on this section of the forums.
I leave soon on March 23rd with VTG Singles. Angel gal/Candie
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill

That upcoming 220,000 ton ship is hard to comprehend. What a monster ! Embarkation and debarkation are going to be something, no doubt . One wonders if will fit into home-port ? Who knows, pax may have to tender in Miami ?

/ticker.png">
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

I am an old sea biscuit and there is no way I will ever cruise on a super duper mega ship. Those ships will not be able to get close to the glaciers in Alaska or near the islands of the caribbean and so forth. The food will probably taste like you are in the Army in a mess hall. I don't get great photos in my mind about the mega giant ships. Angel gal
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Admiral

with the airlines new weigh allowances and now a surcharge if over weigh
i bring less booksand only 1 suit and no sport jacket and no more souviners.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Passenger

[quote="Thoth"]
Quote:

That upcoming 220,000 ton ship is hard to comprehend. What a monster ! Embarkation and debarkation are going to be something, no doubt . One wonders if will fit into home-port ? Who knows, pax may have to tender in Miami ? [/quote

Actually, a lot of the ports are already undergoing changes to allow ships of this size to dock pierside. It will definately be an experience to see these ships in the future.
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Even more so to see the replica ships of Columbus or the Vikings aside one of the megaships.

[quote="BornOnJuly4th"][quote="Thoth"]
Quote:
It will definately be an experience to see these ships in the future.
Cunard (1)
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Yes, it is tacky to be sitting with our beautiful formal outfits and we are sitting with men who are wearing tacky flowered shirts and the women are wearing cotton flowered dresses. They always stand out as looking tacky in their flowered outfits during the whole evening. It's like... can't they afford to buy a lousy black outfit?

Yes, Carnival ships are the Wal-Marts.... but they are the fun ships too.
SOME of their ships have lots of fun things to do as compared to other cruise lines. Remember.... Wal-Marts have great values.lol.
AngelGal,
The couple might have bought their flowered clothing at Walmart. I am from TN, cruising aboard the Valor May 13, and dressing up for the formal nights. Maybe someday, Walmart will start their own cruise line. What would a Walmart ship look like? Rollbacks smily face painted on the stack or the sides, stuffed animal vending machines in the lobby, trailers for cabins on the upper decks, greeters in blue aprons waiting to greet you as you board, sections in pools for peeing, Blimpies on board?