Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Should a 3yr old w/screaming tantrum stay on plane, or get off?
Dropkick the child on the tarmac! 21 91.30%
Allow her to fly, they are paying passengers too, let the others just deal with it! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Default 3 yr old w/screaming tantrum on plane: Stay or Go??

A couple was flying with their 3 year old child from Boston to Miami. Upon boarding the plane, the child began SCREAMING at the top of her lungs. Her parents could not get her to calm down, and she threw herself on the ground at her mother's feet. They had to wrestle with her to be able to seat belt her into her seat, where her screams became even louder.

Finally, the pilot came back and ultimately decided to remove the family from the plane, give them a refund, and flew them out the next day to their destination.

The family was not happy, and upon returning home, contacted their local paper with the story which was printed. The newspaper received approx 8,000 emails in support of the airline. The parents were truly amazed, as they figured they would get the majority of the support!

Do you think the child & her family should have been allowed to fly, screaming and all? Two footnotes, the passengers all appreciated the pilot removing the family, and the child slept peacefully on the next day's flight...

I say kudos to the pilot!!! Your opinion???

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

When this happenned I posted a link to the article I had read and I for one stated that i thought the airline did the right thing. I haven't flown in 32 years but I sure wouldn't want a screaming child on board. As I recal the child was also crawling under the seats and would not take her seat. I think that wa the deciding factor for the pilot to have the family leave the plane.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

The kid may be a paying passenger, but so is everyone else onboard, and they didn't pay to fly with a screaming kid. If they had asked the others on the flight, I bet a majority would have voted them off. Majority rules, kid goes (even if it's mine!).
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with the pilot. When a child is "out of control" they are disruptive not only to the crew that must concentrate on manning the flight, but also to the other passangers aboard. The airline was "more than fair" in refunding the couple's money and providing them with another flight. Children are a great joy and being a mother and grandmother myself, I realize that there are times when children "have their moments".
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Admiral

a few random, disorganized thoughts....

I guess 6 valiums should do the trick... although 7 might kill her.

We were all children once. Get a life and deal. It's unpleasant, but "It takes a village...."

I take offense to "drop kick the child" actually, facetious or not. A 3-year-old has no idea. It's the airline's FAULT for allowing 3-year olds, and it is a public place. As long as the child is belted, then no more can be asked. Maybe the airline should supply earplugs.

If children (in all their glory) bug you so much, maybe you should fly an "adults only" airline. Oh, Right. they don't exist.....

I have two little ones of my own. They are VERY well behaved, but I have no idea how they will take to flying until I try it. (but then some a$$**** would want to drop-kick them, right?) The change in pressure, confinement for an eternity, and butt-ugly strangers are tough on the little guys.

I know some grown ups who act up on the plane, now that I think of it...
but grown ups are allowed to swill the grape in order to deal....

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Passenger

First off, let me tell you (IMHO) that it isn't always the 3 yr olds that should be 'kicked out onto the tarmac". However, I agree with Jean that any child screaming wildly upon entering any aircraft should be dumped down the food elevator.

I'll share a true story that happened to me on the 10th of January while flying home to LAX from Las Vegas after a very grueling day at the convention center in my power wheelchair. While I will admit my error in judgment to have attempted such a trip by myself, I must also admit that I have a reasonable temperament and while I relished in the punishment of the man I will describe below I would not have wanted to be him. You know the saying ........... "Sucks to be you" : )

As I arrived at the airport an hour early for my flight, I made 'friends' in the gate area with a young mother and her incredibly energetic 2 year old. I also made friends with two Marines wearing fatigues. The child was running wild in the gate area attempting to push, pull or crawl under every bench, wheelchair and luggage cart in an area the size of your local Walmart. The mother, worn out from a long day of travel sat quietly with her stroller, car seat and carry-on luggage sighing occasionally and telling me (and others) that her son would definitely sleep on this flight. I just hoped she had a seat in the rear of the plane.

As usual, they boarded me first so I could get my wheelchair down the gangway and they could get the chair out of the way after I transferred into my seat in the bulkhead. My pre-arranged seat was the aisle seat in row one. As I entered the plane the two flight attendants that assisted me to the aisle as well as the Captain all asked that I sit in the window seat so I would not have to get up to allow others to pass by. I obliged and settled in for the short 45 minute flight.

The next to board the plane was the mother I'd made friends with and her son. They proceeded to the rear of the plane near the last row. The child was still wallowing about and screaming jibberish at the top of his lungs. Needless to say, I was relieved.

The very next man to board the plane was an older man probably in his early to mid 70's. I had not seen him in the gate area prior to boarding. As he entered the plane he looked over at me and immediately proclaimed "Hey, you're in my seat!!". I explained to him that I am paralyzed and that the flight attendants had asked that I change seats to accommodate them. He said "So tell me again why you're in my seat?" I suggested that he sit in my original seat on the aisle or speak to the Captain. Begrudgingly he through himself into the seat next to me (the center seat) and started grumbling under his breath. Finally while wiggling about frustrated that he hadn't bullied me into moving over (which would have been a physical impossibility on my own), he started to outburst phrases like "Well I guess it doesn't matter where we sit". And then he said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard someone say ....... "Well I suppose they'll determine who we are from the Dental Records!". I looked over towards the flight attendants and one of them had heard him and was looking my way. I said to him loudly "Excuse me, what did you say?? ..... Do you know something about this flight that you would like to share with the flight attendants?" The flight attendant gestured the Captain and sent him over to see what was happening. As he approached the two Marines I'd made friends with in the gate area stood at attention two rows behind me and spoke up. One saluted the Captain and told him that he'd overheard the man next to me make a comment in regards to the 'plane going down'. The other Marine suggested to the Captain that he remove the man from the plane and search him. The Captain asked the flight attendant what she'd heard him say and she repeated his comment verbatim. He asked the man to exit the plane. I could see them just out at the end of the gangway. They were having a discussion and the older man was obviously aggravated. The Captain came back on board and told me he didn't feel the man was a threat and asked if I would care if he sat next to me. I told him I wasn't pleased with the idea of sitting next to him for the flight. He gave the man another seat in the back of the plane in the empty seat next to the screaming child who, I might add never stopped screaming on the plane for the entire flight.

Sometimes you just get what you deserve, eh?

Celebrity Cruiselines' "Summit" - Alaska : 14 Days
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, if it takes a village, can we spank their little butts

Now I've done it!
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Admiral

WeLove2Cruise, I love how your story ended! Poetic justice!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I think I would agree that the captain did the right thing regarding the removal of the family from the flight, however I think sometimes we can be too hasty to judge a child, especially a three year old.
There could have very well been something wrong with the child to make it act that way. I remember once we were on vacation with our son and grandsons. One was about three and when we went out to eat one night he was asleep and woke up just before we got to the restaurant. He was whining and after a few minutes started to cry. He wouldn't quit no matter what we did. The next day we found out he had an ear infection.
So, bottom line-- yes kids can be a pain with their crying but sometimes we need to understand that they normaly don't cry for extended periods unless there is a reason. Sometimes if the parents would be a little more tolerant and patient in tyring to find out what the real problem is, it would help a lot.
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Ron, your point is taken, but I'll bet that kid on the plane acted the same way all the time because his permissive parents let him get away with it.
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Weluv2cruise, I am flabberghasted that the older "gentleman" was not detained . That is incredible that someone cpild actually make a comment like that and still fly on the same plane. I have worked around the security of the airports since I am in law enforcement and ANY quip is grounds for detainment and/or fine. I'll stop here before I lose control.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.