Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

Old June 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Beginner

Default first cruise

My partner are going on our first cruise. It's on Celebrity and not gay specific and I'm just wondering if we'll be comfortable. We're both mature and low key and we're just looking to enjoy ourselves and relax. Have any of you encountered much homophobia on cruises? I don't want to be in a position where I'm uncomfortable.
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: first cruise

Great question, because we asked it ourselves 5 years ago when we started on RCCL Rhapsody.

Honestly, we have found the nicest, most accepting people on cruises and on staff. You will just love it.

On our first cruise our tablemates were a Christian couple on their honeymoon (in their mid-40s) by the second night of the cruise, it was as if we were traveling together because we closed down the dining room every night.

I think, too, Celebrity will be like the Princess crowd -- an older, more mature, experienced cruisers.

You'll have a great time, and please feel free to post any other questions!

Oh, and where are you going and on what ship??

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Congratulations on your first cruise!

We have been on two cruises so far (2 more schedule), both of which were "non-gay".

We haven't run into any problems. Passengers and Crew both seem very accepting.

Go have a great time.

Old June 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: first cruise

We're going to Bermuda leaving out of Philadelphia on the ship Horizon. We're from NYC, so this is nice-we don't have to fly to our departure city. Thanks for your warm reply.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Mark and Michael

Citiguy:
Harry has made some good points. The Celebrity line attracts a more refined, worldly, passenger. We were on the Constellation in March and the crew and staff were very accommodating and friendly. Just look at dining as being at a wedding reception; you'll be seated with folks you don't know but you all have the commonality of being at sea on a fun adventure. This is part of the experience. I have a friend who met a straight couple on a cruise twenty years ago and they are still the best of friends! I doubt you'll encounter any uncomfortable situations. Have a great and relaxing cruise!
P.S. make your massage reservations the moment you board to get your preferred time.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM
GJMSIII

Hi,
I think you'll have a wonderful time. I've been on 24 cruises over the last 18 years and have never had any regrets. With my first partner of 13 years, I wouldn't have considered a gay cruise because I didn't know if I could trust him. With my current partner of 9 years, I don't think he would trust me.
With both my partners, we've always been gratiously accepted by our fellow straight passengers. Mind you, we have never tried to make our sexual preferences obvious to others. If you board the ship wearing a full face of make-up or the like, you may be inviting a few stares
RELAX AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM
dackdog35

Hi
Celebrity is an awesome experience - very classy, refined & stable crowd - I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves. Loved the Celebrity experience - beats my Carnival experience by far!
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too am fond of Celebrity Cruises. My partner and have been on eight cruises, four with Celebrity. We have always been well received by passengers and crew. We rarely notice any other same sex couples on Celebrity, but if you do, be sure to go up and introduce yourselves. "Hi, where are you guys from," is all it takes. Enjoy , Jimbo
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to PhillyCruiseBear

Hey Guys -

Have traveled on Celebrity a number of times. Loved it! Never had any issues....you'll also like Holland America. Well at least my partner and I have.

Have a great time.

Phil