Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Do You Have This?

Does anyone have the phone service called, Voice Over Internet? Hubby wants to know..
Thanks, so much!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Do You Have This?

I don't have it... but I know about it because I work for a telco that is now offering it.

Old August 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Admiral

There are commercials constantly here for VoiP. They charge a fee for something that should (if you are "technologically literate") be free. Maybe their software is better. Probably not.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM
Admiral

You must have broadband to get this type of phone service. I would not have it as if your internet connection goes, so does your phone service. There has also been issues with the ability to connect with local 911 service which the providers have been directed to solve, however I want to see if they sucessfully comply.

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Voice of IP(VOiP) has been around for quite awhile and it is now past its infancy and the providers are charging for it. It is the shape of things to come. Most of your voice phone calls are all digitized from the time they hit the central office on one end until they hit the central office on the other end anyway. So converting them to IP protocol wasn't that hard.

I have used point to point VOiP for years with friends but I am not ready to put my telephony eggs into a cable providers hands................ yet. If you lose your cable you lose your phone service. You cannot fax using it, but there are ways around that. You can also have problems with complexity.

When you get down to it, the simplicity of a two wire phone has its advantages. A power surge isn't going to destroy it, You don't need a professional to replace it. And best of all, it still works when the lights go out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Trip we have VOIP in a company called Vonage. We absolutely love it. Our phone bills have been a lot lower than they were on Verizon and we have caller ID and call call waiting too. I even had an 800 number on there for a while for my cruise business and the phone bills have never been over $30. The service has been great and we are very happy withit.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Hi there!

If you want all of your phone calls to come through your broadband connection then VoiP is certainly worth looking at. I for one would never trust my internet connection for that type of service.

If you want to make an occasional long distance or intercontinental calls you don't need to pay anything at all to use your broadband internet connection (DSL or other high speed conncetion) for phone calls. I speak to my friend Nigel in Yorkshire near London for hours every day. We talk mostly while playing online games together but many times we'll just have a chat about personal things. The connection is incredible and the sound quality is better than if he were sitting next to me in the same room.

To use this FREE service, you'll need their FREE software and a headset with a boom-type microphone. I use a Logitech headset that has very good and very comfortable dual earphones and an infinately adjustable boom mic. It cost about $30 new.

Here's how you get started. Go to skype.com and download and install their free software (guaranteed not to be adware or spyware of any kind) and have the party to which you want to speak with download and install it as well. It works like Instant Messaging only better. You simply register a username (hint: fake email addresses work well here!) and then you both log in. If the person you want to speak with is logged in you will see that they are available and you simply "ring them". Their end rings and they click the "pickup the call" button and you start talking. It's really that easy and it really is an incredible service for free and like I said, I've been using it for about 3 years now for FREE. I've logged (it keeps all kinds of logs) over 500 hours of free talk time to the U.K. using this service and I've never paid a penny for it.

Check it out and let me know how you like it!

Ron

Post Edited (08-02-05 09:38)

Celebrity Cruiselines' "Summit" - Alaska : 14 Days