Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Exclamation British Seamans Card/Discharge Book

Hey there,

I am joining the RCCL Independence of the Seas in November as an Assistant Waiter, and was just wondering whether or not I am required to have both a British Seamans Card and Discharge Book...I am having trouble communicating with my onboarding coordinator, thats all.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know! Thanks.
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Ideally, if it was required, they should have told you. What country are you from?
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

If your British, then no you wont need a British Seamans Card and Discharge Book.

The British Seamans Card and Discharge Book is normally only needed if you are working in the merchant navy or a british registered ship. Of the big lines Only cunard have a cruise ship registered in the UK.
The indy is bahamas.
Old August 17th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Familiar Face

Default I would recommend to get one

I would recommend getting one,

When I first joined ships I didn't have one. I was then told that I needed one & could of either have got one from the country of birth / residence or the country where the ship is registered. So, at the time I got a Bermudan seamanís book as the ship I was on was registered in Bermuda.

When I joined another company they insisted I also get a British Seamanís Card as my Seamanís book was not from my country..
Always handy to get if you can. Best if you are British is to get a British seamanís card then you should be covered. I cruised through the Russian High Arctic recently & their burocracy can be hard going.. they were threatening to not let me in as I didnít have a British Seamanís Book (even though I had above seamanís book & English card etc.).. Eventually our Russian Capt. persuaded them, (no doubt with some cigarettes & vodka)...

So long story short, you may never need it but if you have time, just get one anyways!