Old December 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Best 2010 cruise deals

There are some good deals on Celebrity Summit out of San Juan in early 2010.

January 16 – Celebrity Summit has a 7-day cruise selling for $399 (yes, $399 will be the magic number today). This is one of the Millennium-class ships from Celebrity, not the newest but still a beautiful ship. This cruise sails out of San Juan and has a very active itinerary; St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Johns, and St Lucia.

Here is a link to their web site for those deals: Summit

I am posting these because I see a lot of traffic in our boards today and I am guessing a lot of people are cruise shopping.
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Captain

Paul,

Thanks for the tip. You are right there are still some pretty good cruising deals out there. The $399 price that you mentioned out of San Juan on the Summit however, does not include taxes. I was just looking at the Princess web site and found several cruises out of Fort Lauderdale for $399 plus taxes. For those bargain hunting the savings in airfare to San Juan might make this an even better bargain. I am sure there are many similar bargains on all cruise lines and as always, it sure does pay to shop around.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Not sure if you wrote realize you said they both don't include taxes.

That is generally true of ANY cruise quote you see anywhere - that is does include what used to be called "port fees" but it does not include taxes. That is an industry standard that should apply to every cruise quote you ever see. if it does not, you should be notified as to what exactly it does not include.

I used to know one cruise agency who constantly quoted cruises excluding port fees. He was an attorney. He rightly claimed it was not a LAW that quotes do not have to contain port fees, but it was a voluntary agreement the industry came up with with (i think ) the FTC to standardize quotes which they all adhered to so a law wasn't necessary.

This one agent drove m nuts. He had Arthur Frommer fooled and Arthur would quote his "exclusive low prices" on his national radio show all the time. They guy was basically a liar - he had the same prices as everyone and generally tried to charge more, but he always told the media he had "exclusively low prices no one else gets."

What a maroon - as they say.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Paul.... I had 3 choices when booking my coming cruise.
Summitt on Jan 2 - secret cabin 6143 was available.
Summitt on January 16th prices were a bit lower then also.
Another cruise out of FLL but higher prices.

I took the January 2nd cruise in 6143. Gor a lot of OBC on the price drops.
Only trap of the January 16th cruise booking now is the air fare...
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Let us know how the airfare works out LBF.
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Air fare was not fun to book.

The early prices - this was 5 months out were all over $400 for same day fly in then out on departure day.

I first booked fly in the day before - 9PM flight out and arrive at 2AM in Puerto Rico - then put my feet up in the airport for a few hours then to the ship. This cost $220 total.

But my first travel partner could not go and my friend of over 50 years could. He would be flying from same locations. Airfare was about $600 at this time for just about any flight..... This was with 2 months plus to go.

Well I caught a day or time when prices went down and it cost me $330 to book his air fare and the mine cost the rebooking fee to get on a better leaving flight.

So we ended up paying about $330 per - no bag cost in there yet.
Fly in out at about 9pm then into SanJuan after 2AM (time change in here) then fly home the day we get off at about 2pm - airport here about 5pm.
So you really have to watch the air cost every day and sometimes twice a day.

Right now if you were looking for the same air for the Summitt Cruise on the 16th it is a mess from where I am. Nothing I could find to get you there same day out of Newark to the ship. Best your looking at is an overnight also and stay somewhere (extra cost) and get there in the afternoon on the 16th. And this would cost you as much as the lower priced cruise.

I always wonder how a cruise line can keep and feed us for 7 days at say $500 and an airline just to get there, 4 hour flight, costs $500......
Go figure.....
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree - I also had to book air to FLL last month and we finally got flights after watching for three days. You never know WHAT you are going to find.

They have constrained the inventory by storing many planes to save on fuel and fill the few flights they have.

I have found for air and hotels prices are much better if you can book 4-6 months out. They really take advantage of the people who book at the last minute now because they know you need the flight. Ir isn't like the old days when they had more planes and had to struggle to fill them.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just got an email for the Solstice..if you book a balcony for spring/summer, you get free air...good deal if you can cruise then....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator