Old September 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Default "Smart Check-In" For Quantum Of The Seas

They have activated the new online smart check-in for Quantum Of The Seas bookings. I just did mine for my 8-night January cruise. The only real changes are you upload a security photo (I took mine with my cellphone) and to activate the onboard account I provided a full credit card number. As RCI regulars know, the 'old' system (which is the current system for all other ships) only asked for the last 4 digits of a credit card and you provided that card at the check-in desk so they could scan it, and your security photo was taken at the terminal. Of course the new system still requires passport information, address, emergency contact, etc.

So, all I should encounter at Bayonne is a guest agent with a handheld device. He or she will scan my Setsail Pass barcode, scan my passport, verify the photo I uploaded is me, and off I'll head to the Quantum. The Seapass cards are at the cabins, which will be ready to occupy upon boarding.
Old September 21st, 2014, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Dave,
That should surely speed up check-in....let us know how well it works, or not??

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

That sounds so much more efficient. And you didn't come across any real problems in doing this at home. Looking forward to doing mine but I have to wait another 6 months after you Dave. So you can be my guinea pig!!
Looking forward to your hints and tips. once you have cruised the smart ship.

Need some cruise help?
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I'll have to make that appointment for "Glamour Shots" today. Now I can have a picture on file that isn't looking up my nose.

I always wondered why they didn't have you set up your account, with full credit card information, when you did your online check-in. You basically did it over again when you checked in at the pier. Then again, people who book farther out could have a problem if their credit card expires before the start of the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Admiral

It does have some requirements for the photo. White or off-white background with no clutter or patterns, straight-on head image, just one person in the photo, and no hats or sunglasses. I guess in the brainstorming about this new process someone mentioned "what if a guest uploads a snapshot of them with their Aunt Sadie sitting on a sofa?"

My other current booking is for the Liberty Of The Seas and that check-in is still the 'Slow', or perhaps 'Stupid' process which indeed is pretty much redone at the terminal. I really hope they can roll the new version out to more ports and all ships. I imagine the issue is having the hardware installed and reconfiguring the various terminals which may not be possible in some cases.

Another thing: you select an "appointment time" to arrive at the pier. I had 30 minute windows starting at 10:30am to choose from, and the last one was 2:00pm to 2:30pm. I guess some of these fall off the list as they fill up, and if you wait to the last minute to check-in you might be stuck with a later appointment.

This also brings up other questions, such as does this mean the special check-in line for suites and Diamond and above members won't be used? Seems like they won't be. They actually could be an impediment.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Where do you find the "smart check in " at. I looked at my reservation for Dec. 1st and I don't see it.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Where do you find the "smart check in " at. I looked at my reservation for Dec. 1st and I don't see it.
Ok cool found it.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
First Mate

We are all checked in for 12/1 ! We have 10:30 embarkation!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
RCCL Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
NCL Epic 3/8/15 7N
NCL Escape 11/09/15 2N
NCL Breakaway 11/27/16 14N
RCCL Harmony of the Seas 11/? 3N & 2/11/17 7N
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
Admiral

All checked in for my Dec. 1st sailing. Didn't get a check in time we have Priority check in. Nice. Can show up at the pier at anytime. You can bet we are going to be there early.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
All checked in for my Dec. 1st sailing. Didn't get a check in time we have Priority check in. Nice. Can show up at the pier at anytime. You can bet we are going to be there early.
Are you Pinnacle or in a suite?
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Admiral

In a Suite. I thought something was wrong because I didn't get to choose my check in time. I called RCI and asked them about this and they told me even though there are check in times Priority check in will still be available.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Paul and I are sharing a cabin. Even though he hasn't checked in yet, when I did mine I was asked if I wanted to assign the same check-in appointment time to Paul. So, by the way Paul, we are supposed to be at the pier at 11:00 to 11:30am on January 3.
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Sounds good. I'm just working my way to Pinnacle. It's a slow process. Been Diamond Plus now for 5 years and am just about half way to Pinnacle. Such a wide gap between the two. I guess I'll just keep chipping away at it. Hope you and Paul have a wonderful time on your Quantum cruise.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019