Old December 20th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival Disembark by Zone

Hello all!
Just had my 2nd cruise. First one was in march on the Fantasy. We had an awesome time. Friendly staff, great food. Other than a few wild drunks (we mistakenly booked during spring break lol) we had a great time.
We just got off of Breeze. A HUGE ship, especially compared to Fantasy. We had a few minor issues, but nothing worth detailing. Overall the cruise itself was ok, although we definitely prefer a smaller ship now.
The issue I would like to ask advice about has to do with debarkation. We booked cruise and flights thru Carnival. We were given zone 26 debarkation which he pamphlet said by 11:30. With a 12:15 return flight that was impossible. Went to guest services and they changed us to zone 5 with an 8:30 debarkation. At 10:30 our zone was finally announced and we left the ship to catch the airport transfer provided by Carnival. Arrived at MIA miami airport at 11:30. Baggage check and TSA security checkpoint put us at our gate at 12:05 (lots and lots of running !). Suffice it to say, doors were closed and we missed our flight.
We had purchased trip insurance so figured Carnival would arrange alternate flight for us. No such luck. Carival Travel Services said our debark time was 8:30 so we had plenty of time and must have done something on our part to miss flight, and they would not do anything to help. We had to pay for another flight, 7 hours later, out of pocket.
My question is this...how should I got about addressing this issue with Carnival?
Thanks in advance
Old December 20th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Admiral

The cruise lines are somewhat at the mercy of the Coast Guard and Border Protection as to when they can actually begin disembarkation. You did the right thing in getting your zone switched. Hopefully, you booked through a TA and they can advocate for you. If not push your way up the supervisory tree until you get a yes. Surely the ship has record as to when groups. You can also write to Carnival. Do an Internet search for "how to complain about travel" (or something like that.

Lesson learned, don't get insurance from your travel provider be it a cruise line, airline or travel company.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, I would continue to work with your travel agent and or Carnival....Next time, your running late, best to just take a taxi to the airport over waiting on the cruise lines's transfers, they just take too long, expecially if you have a flight to catch....Do keep us posted...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the tips! I have finally spoken to someone at customer service who might actually remedy this for me. Fingers crossed......
Old December 22nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
Admiral

It's always best to pick a later flight on departure as you never know when the ship will be delayed. The last thing you want after a vacation is to be stressed on the flight home.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries