Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Seeking Cruise Companion

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

Old May 18th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 28 Female, Transatlantic New York to London. $800 flat for travel buddy!

I'm looking for a cabin roomie for a Transatlantic cruise Oct 20-27th this year. Its $800/person (I'd be wiling to pay taxes and fees).

I'm taking this cruise to start off my backpacking trip around Europe!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
Familiar Face

Hi, I am very interested in this option. I too want to spend some time exploring Europe. Not that we have to go together once there, but it would be great to have someone to share ideas with and such. I am 32 and female. I currently live in the Bay Area in California but I see you are from Seattle. I will actually be in Seattle for a few days in June, if we want to meet before we make a decision about sharing a small space for a week. Let me know what you think.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'll be taking this same trip but the June 15, 2017 departure. Arrives June 22 in Southhampton.
Flexible on your departure?
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Interested, if still available

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderlust View Post
I'll be taking this same trip but the June 15, 2017 departure. Arrives June 22 in Southhampton.
Flexible on your departure?
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:21 AM
Familiar Face

Ladies,

Flights to Europe are dirt cheap! If you're from west/eastcoast, oneway air ticket cost under $200 (all tax and fees included). So, if you can't find a roommate for a cruise, you still can find great deal on flights!

I'm also backpacker and I've traveled the world as backpacker and cruiser. If you're on a budget, I don't recommend cruising. Alternatively, you can also try backpacking through SE Asia which is more affordable than Europe. Fortunately, with the politic in UK, the pound is dropping ...it's still more than USD....
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks. I know it is cheaper and I was thinking about road tripping to the East Coast, camping and such along the way, so a "vacation" in between my US portion and starting Europe might be a nice change of pace. Also, I am using my time in Europe to build my travel skills, so I can feel more confident going to SE Asia.
Please keep the advice coming though, I appreciate it all, as this is a new phase in life for me.
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenA View Post
Thanks. I know it is cheaper and I was thinking about road tripping to the East Coast, camping and such along the way, so a "vacation" in between my US portion and starting Europe might be a nice change of pace. Also, I am using my time in Europe to build my travel skills, so I can feel more confident going to SE Asia.
Please keep the advice coming though, I appreciate it all, as this is a new phase in life for me.
Eastern Europe is more affordable than Western Europe, but it can be a safety issue for solo female. Be mindful not to travel alone late at nite. Enjoy traveling and never be afraid to learn and try new foods. My final advice -- be a mindful traveler and never travel like tourist
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Update on why she should cruise and not fly there...

for you and Almost 50, with the cheap cost of transpositioning cruises, the cruise (if shared) is almost as cheap as these bargain bucket airfares. For Europe though it is limited to early summer going there and early autumn for the return. Did one in Oct. from Copenhagen to Miami starting at a $209 and one from Dominican Republic to England, staring at either $299 or $399. Some people want to take freighters but they are MORE expensive. food options are very limited (you usually eat what the staff eat, and yes, a big part of cruising is the food, where else can you eat in an equivalent of 5 star restaurant with your room for less than a $100 a night!) and unless like Alex Haley and writing a book, with the limited entertainment option freighters can be boring.

Even if you do NOT use cruises as a way to get across the Atlantic, cruiselines (much to many's dismay including mine discount heavily on cruises that might otherwise go empty-if a cabin isn't filled they lose a lot of money because they often make more money on drinks, spa services and gambling than on the cruise.) Check sites such as cruisecompete.com where agents bid for your business, Cabinclearance.com which is a consolidator which buys in bulk and OWNS the cabin and thus can resell cabins for less than the cruise lines and go to CruiseFish.Net - Cruise price drop alerts done right where they can monitor a cruise you want to take and inform you if the price went down (I wish I knew that when I went to Australia from L.A for 4K because of the 100% single supplement. A woman who booked that a year before and checked Carnival's website EVERY single day (which you don't need to do with cruisefish) and found a week before sailing they dropped the single supplement and because she let them know BEFORE the ship sailed they gave her 100% shipboard credit and what she didn't use up they gave her a check for, they wouldn't do anything for me since the ship left.)

There are a lot of cheap fares especially with two new airlines starting this year but these come with many, many surcharges (on Norwegian Air to have hot meals from England to New York was $40 extra and I wanted to have a regular meal on a long flight and not just snacks) plus the cheaper airlines have baggage restrictions, maybe not so important with a backpacker but some people want to bring more than one bag, keep this in mind, on a cruise you can bring as much stuff as you can stuff in your cabin, there is NO restrictions! I have met people immigrating from the U.S. to Europe or going to Oceania, and they went by ship precisely for this reason. Of course, if you ARE doing a lot of traveling once you get there, bringing a lot of baggage is not a good idea.

Most of the people who are on here, know of what I say or they would not be on a cruise website (wonder why 50+ is on this site ;-)!. For some traveling is not just the destination but also the means to get there. As a former airline employee I try as little as possible NOT to fly (will even take long bus rides!) I remember the day, when you didn't even have to go through a metal detector to get onboard the plane and when airlines competed on amenities (lounges in COACH) and people could go to the gate to meet you and you didn't have to go all through the onerous procedures to get on a plane. People on cruises and even trains are much nicer and friendly probably because traveling on them is much less stressful and more relaxing than being squeezed on a plane (lots of newspaper articles of fights on planes, but not many of trains or buses.) BTW-you can show up 15 min vs. 2 hours before departure on trains and buses!!

I am sorry I wrote a blog, but because another posted discouraged her from going by ship I wanted to show her the other side, but if this site didn't block out some of the websites I mentioned, I hope others will find my remarks useful.
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Next time you post airfares to Europe for $200...

please, oh PRETTY please, have the graciousness to include links or just write the airlines and if you remember the dates. I admit it could because I am booking this for two weeks away, but most one way fares are WAAY over $1K (I bought one from Justfly.com for one on Air Berlin for half the price and I am holding my breath as they have a spate of bad reviews but only from people who were trying to change or cancel their flights) but I bought it with my Amex card which should help if there are any problems.

The only rates like that may be teaser rates from an airline on the east coast ONLY (you can hardly get a fare like that flying from LA to NYC) starting a new route there but highly, HIGHLY doubt that it would from ANY of the west coast city. Be careful what you say here and not exaggerate or use alternative facts, people take things here seriously.
Old July 7th, 2017, 03:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I am interested. Please email me raybk87@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah89 View Post
I'm looking for a cabin roomie for a Transatlantic cruise Oct 20-27th this year. Its $800/person (I'd be wiling to pay taxes and fees).

I'm taking this cruise to start off my backpacking trip around Europe!
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by evagoblog View Post
please, oh PRETTY please, have the graciousness to include links or just write the airlines and if you remember the dates. I admit it could because I am booking this for two weeks away, but most one way fares are WAAY over $1K (I bought one from Justfly.com for one on Air Berlin for half the price and I am holding my breath as they have a spate of bad reviews but only from people who were trying to change or cancel their flights) but I bought it with my Amex card which should help if there are any problems.

The only rates like that may be teaser rates from an airline on the east coast ONLY (you can hardly get a fare like that flying from LA to NYC) starting a new route there but highly, HIGHLY doubt that it would from ANY of the west coast city. Be careful what you say here and not exaggerate or use alternative facts, people take things here seriously.
Eh? Stop your *****ing, please! The reason why you're unable to find cheap price because you're bloody tourist! I just looked and flights are still dirt cheap. Provide me with airport codes and travel dates and I'll help locate cheap flights for you
Old August 14th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi, so I'm sure by now you've got someone lined up for your cruise. I want to do the Oct 20, 2017 Crossing to Southampton (or Hamburg even) as well, and since none of my closest friends wanna do the same, I've been considering my options. I saw this site and then your thread and thot it sounded 2 good..turns out it probably is lol. I'm 25 yr old and male, so mayb not really what u were looking 4, but decided to post on here just in case someone happened 2 b interested? I'd b happy 2 discuss options if so.. thanks!