Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Might as well throw in the MISUSE of the word 'myself' while you're at it. IMHO, 70% don't know how to use it. Basically, basically, you must have referred to yourself previously in a sentence to use 'myself'. Not entirely, but basically.
But, you can thank the athletes for this in the last few years trying to impress people I assume. They even have so called educated announcers and such doing it.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Life is so short!!! I don't spend a lot of time on the way the words are used, but what they mean to others.

I do use my spell check, and even had to add a few words in, so that it would stop telling me that Kuki was spelling his name wrong.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Jack> I distinctly recall (in an old post/debate about word origins in Middle English) that you said you held a Masters in English. I searched for the post but couldn't find it.

I guess you were just yanking my chain, huh?

So, officially, a BA does trump a minor, then
I shall govern myself with much swagger in the future....

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJack
By the way, I hope that none of you missed oomthree's tongue-in-cheek remark about the apostrophe matter. I thought it was quite clever.
Jack
Thanks Jack. I'm glad someone picked up on that.

By the way, it seems to me that the apostrophe is one of those things that's done better by people for whom English is not a first language! My wife, for example, never gets it wrong and my colleagues here in Zuerich rarely make an error. What they do sometimes do is make a mess of their tenses and their prepositions.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Might as well throw in the MISUSE of the word 'myself' while you're at it.
It extends to the other reflexive pronouns as well. Many's the time I've seen a letter to a company or group of people misusing 'yourselves'. For example, "I sent the letter to yourselves last Thursday."

This is a true story. I was once in France, speaking English to an Irish friend of mine. Some American tourists approached. The dialogue was as follows:

Them: "Are you American?"
Us: "No."
Them (shocked): "But do you speak English ANYWAY?"

(Edit to avoid being mocked in a thread about spelling and grammar.)
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Admiral

Well put. It's a distinct view of how you look at yourself and whether it's for the good or the bad. Of course, the subject is based upon its own merits.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Admiral

well text messaging has caused all types of butchering of the English language.....
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Swagger away, Cynic old pal! Your degree obviously trumps mine. And if I did write what you believe I wrote, then I must have been in my cups at the writing. English Lit. was never my cup of tea! (Please note the "cup" repetition.)

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
Jack> So, officially, a BA does trump a minor, then...
Well not many minors have had time to get a BA, so it's not a fair comparison.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Admiral

All this BA talk is starting to sound like BS. But there I go again, risking the ire of the censors!

What it boils down to for Jack, I guess, is that he got two degrees so that he could wind up giving other people the third degree.

As to the misuse of reflexive pronouns, I have a completely unscientific theory that a lot of people--especially those who are not native speakers--simply think that longer is better. So "yourselves" must be better than "you." One of my favorite idiot words is "irregardless." My Dad used to make fun of it be saying "antidisirregardless."

And since we're on to pet peeves, my real steamer is passive voice. Maybe it's because I'm here in Washington, but I've felt for a long time that the only reason to use passive voice is to avoid taking responsibility for what you say. There's no reason to replace "I believe. . ." with "It is believed. . ." Only a wimp or a bureaucrat (or a wimpy bureaucrat) hides behind the language.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
As to the misuse of reflexive pronouns, I have a completely unscientific theory that a lot of people--especially those who are not native speakers--simply think that longer is better.

And since we're on to pet peeves, my real steamer is passive voice. Maybe it's because I'm here in Washington, but I've felt for a long time that the only reason to use passive voice is to avoid taking responsibility for what you say. There's no reason to replace "I believe. . ." with "It is believed. . ." Only a wimp or a bureaucrat (or a wimpy bureaucrat) hides behind the language.
Good theory on the pronouns. I'm not sure I agree that it's more of an issue for non-native speakers though.

I agree about the passive voice. It's a cunning way of making your opinion sound like the generally accepted one. But, there are cases where it's useful. Scientific papers, for example, are terribly grating if written entirely in the active voice: "I did an experiment, and then I had my lunch, and then I went home..."

One that gets on my wick is is, "I could care less," instead of "I couldn't care less". The former clearly means, "I care more than I might have done," or in other words, "I actually care to some degree."
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Not many miners have acquired a BA, either.

Old September 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
One that gets on my wick is is, "I could care less," instead of "I couldn't care less". The former clearly means, "I care more than I might have done," or in other words, "I actually care to some degree."
Though no doubt a regional slang, a friend in Missouri told me that "sentiment" of not caring is expressed with...

Don't give me no nevermind.
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

ommthree> There is a difference, a distinct difference between mother-tongue English speakers and those who are ESL. The "English as Second Language" students actually pay attention in English classes...

Old September 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
What it boils down to for Jack, I guess, is that he got two degrees so that he could wind up giving other people the third degree
I always appreciate a good pun, Al, and this is no exception. However, anyone who is unfamiliar with my former vocation might get the impression that I was perhaps an interrogator in a Siberian gulag. :evil: On the other hand, that could be close to the truth in the mind of someone who had the misfortune to encounter me in my official capacity.

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Admiral

OMG Jack> Look at the number of replies you've made to this thread....

(Should I assume it's one of your favourites??? You usually are somewhat reluctant to post here...)

Old September 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Admiral

my what an intellectual group of CM'ers we have 8) ...we all have to go on the next CM group cruise so we can sit around the pool shoot the &*(^ together over a drink..I think it would be great while all of our favorite female CM posters did the island tours
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
OMG Jack> Look at the number of replies you've made to this thread...You usually are somewhat reluctant to post here.
1. So who's counting?
2. "...reluctant"? Poor choice of words, CC!

Jack 8)
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Jack> "timid"??? "trepidant"???"hesitant"???

I see a lot more of youur imprint on another BB...

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
What it boils down to for Jack, I guess, is that he got two degrees so that he could wind up giving other people the third degree
I always appreciate a good pun, Al, and this is no exception. However, anyone who is unfamiliar with my former vocation might get the impression that I was perhaps an interrogator in a Siberian gulag. :evil: On the other hand, that could be close to the truth in the mind of someone who had the misfortune to encounter me in my official capacity.

Jack 8)
Besides, what's a little hyperbole in the cause of a decent gag?

Jack, I was thinking of you not long ago when watching the first "Airport" movie on cable--it's almost as funny as "Airplane," the movie that parodied it. Anyway, the customs guy in the movie is played by Lloyd Nolan, and he has a scene where he goes on about how it's important to look at people, not so much at things.

Reminded me of what you've always said, and I wondered if you were a technical advisor for the movie. Of course, I suppose everybody back then understood the truth of your point of view, and applied it. Be nice if today's screen-gazers would.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am enjoying this discussion because I, too, am a stickler for correct grammar, spelling, and usage. Just a BS in Secondary Edu. (teaching fields in Eng. and Span.), but I've been known to whip out my pen and fix signs in supermarkets, lol. Sometimes I wish I could change billboards.
Mistakes are so rampant on message boards everywhere that I just cringe quietly and go with the flow. Unfortunately, most people really don't care, anyway. I had a mother who drilled correct grammar, spelling and pronunciation into me and I did the same with my kids. My kids and a few friends are about the only ones I know who correctly use lie and lay. Professional announcers almost always goof and don't even get me started an pronunciation! ARCTIC (not artic), MISCHIEVOUS (not mischevious), THEATER(not the-ater, COMPLEXIONED (not complected). I've got to stop now before it's too late.
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Admiral

How about the latest 'buzz' word sports announcers and athletes are using = Maturization

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:11 AM
Admiral

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is the person who types the crawler for CNN Headline News. (The "crawler" is the news summary that scrolls sideways at the bottom of the screen)

I get the impression they hired a High School dropout to do this job, when there are newsprint folks collecting unemployment. Adopt some standards, CNN.

A poster above used the word "cringe". My sentiments exactly.

Old September 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

ooh so sorry to butt in here folks but this thread and some of the postings has made me really giggle.

Remember you are all discussing English spelling in the 'americanised' (is that a correct word?) format so to us Brits, you completely mispell anyway.

In true English spelling here in England of all places the following couple of examples are spelt like this

car tire is spelt TYRE
tire in our language actually means short for getting tired

color is spelt COLOUR (why is the 'u' always missing in american spelling?)

honor is spelt HONOUR

canceled is spelt CANCELLED with double 'L'

we always spell magazine with a 'z' and not an 's'

tomatoe and potatoe always have an 'e' on the end even though that has started to go a little americanised now.

so if you really want to argue about the english language being spelt correctly, where do we begin???? I believe what cruise cynic is actually saying is that American English is not being spelt correctly.

am I right??

Regards,
Kimmiegirl (who has 'A'levels in English literature and English language)
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Right, and. . .

TRUCK is spelled LORRIE

ELEVATOR is spelled LIFT

SECOND FLOOR is spelled FIRST FLOOR

TRUNK is spelled BOOT

We are, after all, two nations separated by a common language. And I love it.
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I've never seen magazine spelled with an 's'.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Dear AR

You are using different 'terms' not the same word spelled differently.

Tire is a perfect example - the rubber surround on a wheel but in english is spelt with a y and not an i

What you are highlighting is a different definition of something i.e. you say garbage for our rubbish etc.

I am highlighting something completely different to that......
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Yes, Kimmie, I'm quite aware of the distinction.

I was just "extending" your point to include differences in terminology as well as differences is spelling.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Admiral

There are lots of usage problems that appear here over and over again, and it's tough sometimes not to say something about them.

For instance, when somebody says, "We're going to Bermuda on the Orgy of the Seas on June 28. Will anybody else be on board?". . .

I always want to respond. . .

"Yes, I'm sure there will be others on board. The ship is very big and has lots of cabins."
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Ive never authored a thread that went to three page's before.......

One more post, guy's! I know you have it in you....