Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default You'll Envy This Lady!

About 20 years ago my great pal Danny married the love of his life, the fetching Glendine. I was best man. Eventually they moved from DC to Denver, where they ran a very successful temp agency. After some time they sold it and moved on to other things, but Glendine's avocation all along has been sewing. She's a world class seamstress with a great eye for fashion--and she's always been keenly aware of the dearth of plus-size women's duds.

She started sewing seriously and opened an e-Bay store. Things went well. Late last year she and Danny took their second cruise, a crossing on the QMII. She overpacked. In fact, she packed something different for every night. When people asked her where she got a particular item, she'd say, "I made it," and hand them a card. One of the people who asked was the shop manager onboard. The maitre d' in the dining room told her that people would ask him if Glendine had arrived yet and wanted to know what she was wearing.

Back home in Denver she got a call from the Cunard people. They had looked at her online stuff and wanted to talk. Apparently everybody had figured out that the people in the cruise brochures aren't really the people who go on the ships, and that plus-size beautiful stuff would be a real draw.

So she's been sewing bigtime for the last few months and left last night on the Crystal Symphony for three cruises (one to Hawaii, two to Alaska). Balcony room all to herself. In early June she comes home to sew some more, then she'll be out again on other ships for most of the rest of the year. They've got all sorts of things planned for her, including fashion shows, space in the shops, and on and on.

Ironically, she's gone on the wagon and lost a ton of weight herself, but she still makes mostly plus-size stuff, because she really believes it is an underserved market.

Way to go, Glendine!
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Way to go indeed.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

How wonderful for Glendine!! I should be so lucky with my jewelry designs

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

An excellent example of "entrepreneurship". Congratulations to her on tapping that market.

It sounds like she is now on the same sailing as Kuki. I wonder if she could create an outfit for him.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Admiral

What a wonderful story! She must surely be a very talented individual, and very hard working.

If you would, would you send me a PM with her website. I would love to look at her designs.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Admiral

What a wonderful story! She must surely be a very talented individual, and very hard working.

If you would, would you send me a PM with her website. I would love to look at her designs.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Admiral

That is a great story. I would also like to take a look at her fashion. If you don't mind sending me a PM. See this is why we ladies overpack.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Admiral

AR,

What a marvelous story. It just goes to show that initiative combined with talent stills pays off.

I hope she makes an absolute fortune!

Todd
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Default You'll Envy This Lady!

Todd, it looks like she's alrady making a bundle if she can go on all those cruises.

Judy
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, I just love stories like that, way to go! She sounds like a wonderful, talented woman, so glad you posted this story.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

An uplifting and inspirational story. Good for her - she certainly has the perfect name for a designer: "Glendine" - what a wonderful name.

I wish her all the success in the world and hopefully she'll take her "best man" on a future cruise to celebrate her success.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Amazing!! I think it is wonderful that she has such a wonderful opportunity. I have long felt that this area has been overlooked. I long since gave up shopping on the ships. Everything is for people with stick thin figures. Kudos to those that saw the opportunity to please the guests and give this woman the chance of a lifetime to put her talent to good use. Is there a link to her website? I would love to see her work.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
First Mate

I just love that story, it is one of those that make all things possible !!