Old August 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Default Travel insurance

I am trying to find travel insurance for our cruise in Nov. If I am reading the fine print correctly they will not cover if you have to cancel because of immediate family emergencies that are pre-existing conditions. Meaning, if my mother or father (both about 80 and with medical problems) get sick and I have to cancel the cruise, travel insurance will not reimburse. Am I reading this correct? Or does this just pertain to the passenger if there is a pre existing condition. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Familiar Face

If you purchase the travel insurance within 10 or 15 days of your initial deposit, they waive the pre-existing conditions clause. I have cruised four times on Carnival and we are going on our fifth on Sept. 24. I messed up and remembered it wrong. I thought it had to be purchased when you made your final payment. oops. I use travel guard. If you purchase the plan that covers you if someone in your immediate family gets sick and it's after the deposit, they will go back 180 days to see if the sickness is something they were being treated for within the last 6 months. I took a gamble and just pruchased the plan that covers my husband and I (only). I hope this makes sense. If you are too late you can still buy the insurance but they will go back 6 months.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Admiral

I made my deposit on cruise on July 21st. Final payment is due 21 of September. When I made the reservations with Carnival they said I could get the insurance at the time the final payment was made so I didn't worry about it until I started reading all the other things about it. If they look back 6 months my mom has been treated for high blood pressure for 10 years, also my dad, so they take that into consideration if I had to cancel for an illness to either one of them, right? I guess I still need the insurance and just hope if I had to cancel it would not be for one of them being sick. Also one of the companies offers a "return of premium" rider for 10.00 more. Should I consider that option too? This is very confusing. I just figured travel insurance was all the same, boy am I wrong. Thanks for helping.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Familiar Face

I have never heard of the "rider". It wouldn't hurt to email them. I emailed someone at Travelguard and they responded very quickly with a very nice email. It doesn't seem fair in some cases. High blood pressure, diabetes, things like that can go on and on for years with no complications. I used an online travel agent and they were wonderful but I wish they had at least mentioned the insurance at the time of deposit. I wish you luck.
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Passenger

We have Leisure Care and I went back and read the fine print. I think when it says that "the pre-exiting condition definition does not apply to a condition which is trreated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before coverage in in effect"...that as long as my Dad's High blood pressure, Congestive Heart Failure, Diabetes, etc is under control 60 days before departure, then ...if he gets ill, I could cancel and be covered. I'm certainly no lawyer, but that's how I interpret it.
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have a question for a friend. She had booked a RCL cruise for Oct. 06 and had only made her initial deposit. She had purchased a travel insurance policy(not thru the cruise line) on the same day that she booked the cruise. Due to an illness of her father, she cancelled the cruise reservation in Mid May.Her deposit from RCL was refunded within 5 days. She said that she was told by the insurance co that she would receive a full refund of her ins. premium, but as of last week, she had not received a refund. She has written several emails and the reply is that they are still deciding if she will get her refund.
Does anyone know if she would be entitled to her prem. refund?
She took out the insurance on the day she booked her cruise, just for the reason that has been stated on prev. posts....illness of parents and any type of pre-existing conditions.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

After re-reading everything I'm sure you are right cruisingrannie. It just sounds really confusing when first reading the fine print. My parents are both on medication that controlls their various conditions and have been for years. When you plan these trips you hope nothing happens that you have to cancel, but when you have elderly parents that is always a possibility. Now, which company. I've had several different suggestions so it's just a matter of finding one. Thanks for all the help.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Passenger

My parents are elderly, too and I had just assumed that my trip would be covered if they needed me at home. I'm glad you made me aware to read the fine print when I answered your post before. The insurance we have is called Leisure Care. I just called the company and the lady was very nice she also told me that ...if your parents are not traveling with you, the pre-existing condition doesn't even matter. So....I feel a lot better about it. I asked if YOU could purchase insurance. She said to call 1 800 453-4059. Hope this helps. The different companies seem to have different fine print.