Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old July 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Default Has anyone ever been sorry?

This will be our first cruise ever. We go to Alaska next weekend. I'm still very worried about all the walking for my husband. I realize we are not going to Rome with all the rocky walking, but I'm supposing that there will be a lot of walking on the ship alone.
He can walk, but slowly and needing to take breaks.
Still up in the air whether this trip will happen or not.
Any info as all previous will be appreciated.
gmann
Tennessee
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Alaska is one of the most accessible for the physically challenged places one can go. After all, you are still in the USA. Plus, you are on a ship which means you do not to do any more moving abot than you is required to get to the ship. You can see a lot from the ship on an Alaskan cruise, plus there are plenty of bus-type shore excursions available.

Juneau is fairly flat and easy to reach from the ship, as is Sitka. Ketchikan is a lot steeper, but there is a lot to see and do right off the ship as well.

I predict you will enjoy your vacation a lot, and will not feel the need to press your husband beyond his ability.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Thank you Paul.
My DH is outside now walking around our drive. He's doing pretty good considering he's just had ankle fusion and hip replacement surgery. He suffers from rhuematoid arthritis and that's a messy disease.
I think we're going to go.
I was just wondering if anyone had taken a cruise and spent a lot of money (we did on this) and discovered that cruising was not for them.
This site is the best place for a "newbie" to visit.
gmann
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Admiral

gmann - call your travel agent and have them request a wheelchair for your DH,just in case.
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would estimate that over 40 % of passengers on our recent cruise to Alaska were either on walkers or in wheelchairs. I agree, call your travel agent today and request a wheel chair.
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

my mom and her friend went on the Rotterdam to Alaska in 1992 and she does not walk well and had a great time and was treated very well and with respect...

Lots of folks in your husband's situation so just take your time and enjoy your dream cruise
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Better yet - how about renting him a scooter? This way, he can get around the ship (and ports) on his own without worrying about having someone push him around. When we did Alaska a few years ago, I remember every night seeing 3-4 scooters being "charged" in the area outside the elevators on our deck.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

There were several of the scooters on board the Carnival Spirit in May. The staff seemed to be wonderful with debarking and helping the elderly passengers.
Take the chance...go and have a great time....you never know what could happen tomorrow and you would regret not going. Even if you're not able to do a lot of the excursions, you will love the scenery from your balcony. I know the White Pass RR in Skagway had a lift for wheelchairs, etc.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Admiral

When we book, I ask for a cabin with easiest access to various areas of the ship. I refuse to request a handicapped cabin, as there are always some who need it a lot more than I do. But, midship, lower levels works best for me. I use elevators to go up and lower levels are easier access to debarkation in ports. Don't hesitate to request whatever assitance you need. For example, during boat drill, they want everyone to use the stairs, but I explain that I can't and use the elevator instead. My only suggestion would be to stay away from mega liners. I had problems getting worn out on the Carnival Glory because it was just too huge for me to get around. Probably won't be a problem, as ships in Alaska are not usually the giant size.
Marty
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have you decided to go on your cruise?
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just wondering....did you go on your cruise?
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Admiral

It may be that the line won't have a wheel chair available. My DIL and her parents were going to cruise last year and requested a wheel chair for her mother. All the wheel chairs were already reserved. As it turned out they had to cancel their cruise due to illness, but were prepared to rent a chair and take it with them, should there be the need for it, especially on shore. When they requested the wheel chair, their cabin was upgraded to a handicap accessible to allow a little more space for the chair. This may be a consideration for you, as well. I'm sure everything will work out well. Have a great cruise.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Passenger

I am 60 have two bad knees, one bad hipand I am over weight. But I do just find on cruises. Just sit down more often the the kids do. You will be fine. Get a midship cabin that way you are in the middle 1/2 way to everything. Most activities are on the ends.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Don (Tennessee also)
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have had bi-lateral hip and knee replacements, walk with a cane and have a bone disease that causes fractures frequently (I am in a leg cast now and we are cruising in November!).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a cruise. We choose cruises when the kids are ins chool. Two years ago, we did Hawaii in October. I never saw so many people in wheelchairs and canes.

See if you can rent a wheelchair for the week so hubby can sit and be pushed if necessary. If you take bus trip shore excursions, you can push him to the bus and enjoy your ride in the bus.

You can do as much or as little as you want and pace yourself. It is a lot easier than doing a land tour package.