Old August 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Swimming with Dolphins

You might want to read a very interesting commentary by Editor Anne Campbell in the new Cruisemates newsletter. She makes some interesting points on swimming with Dolphins I personally have never given thought too.

It should be noted that: Costa Rica has banned swimming-with-the-dolphins programs in its waters, and Radisson Seven Seas Cruises announced it would no longer offer this shore excursion.

The article title is "Dolphin Awareness". It is worth reading even if you don't agree with the sentiments.

Old August 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
browezilla

Default Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Quote:
Sorry, no files were found for “Dolphin Awareness.”
I saw the article too (via email), but can't find it on the site. Does any have a link?
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

It was in their Cruisemates newsletter.
CruiseMates Newsletter
* * * A U G U S T * 8 , * 2 0 0 5 * * *
http://www.cruisemates.com

* Dolphin Awareness *
Last month, Costa Rica banned swimming-with-the-dolphins programs in its waters, and Radisson Seven Seas Cruises announced it would no longer offer this activity as a shore excursion. Both cited environmental reasons. However, it remains a popular attraction in the Caribbean, Mexico, the Bahamas and Bermuda. And aside from Radisson, many cruise lines still offer it as a very pricey shore excursion.
My awakening came at Cozumel's popular Chankanaab, an eco-park run by the Mexican National Park Service that offers a recreated Mayan village and a beautiful beach with thatched cabanas. I wandered from my beach spot to the Dolphin Encounter and stopped in my tracks. These highly intelligent, beautiful mammals were in cages as they pulled tourists through a small area of water. I returned to the area later in the day as the park was closing: Tears filled my eyes as I saw one dolphin, his head raised above water, staring out to sea for a long time, held back by a sturdy link fence.
Why would humans imprison these magnificent animals? Here’s one possibility: The per-person cost for a dolphin ride at this park is $99 (or much more if you buy it as a shore excursion). Of course, people flock to the dolphin rides because it's fun and exciting, even though it means the mammals (yes, they are warm-blooded) must remain imprisoned. So, greed, lack of knowledge and public indifference are the chief culprits.
The Humane Society and Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society made a joint study of these petting and swimming facilities. The report exposes the unsafe, unsanitary and overcrowded conditions in which many captive bottlenose dolphins are forced to live. The report found many dolphins to be “obese, due to inconsistent diets compounded by overfeeding from the public. The Petting Pool environment exposes dolphins to injury and stress from lack of sufficient refuge from the public," it added.
The Humane Society seems to offer the most comprehensive information on the effects of dolphin petting and riding. Visit http://www.hsus.org. You can help these animals by avoiding petting and swimming parks entirely and working through the Humane Society.
What's Your Opinion? Tell CruiseMates your opinion on this issue. Have you ridden a dolphin? Has the recent spate of Humane Society bulletins, the ban by Costa Rica and Radisson Seven Seas Cruises influenced your decision to stop visiting facilities that offer dolphin rides and petting? Tell us your views -- pro and con -- on this issue. Email me at annecampbell@aol.com.

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Free Willy!! Let them swim out to sea and be happy!!!

Post Edited (08-10-05 11:22)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
NewCruisers

Wow..just..WoW!!

This would have been something I would have loved to do..but not at the cost of the quality of a Dolphins life.

I think one of the saddest things ever was when I found out how the living conditions were for the whale that filmed Free-Willy . How ironic was that..the whale actually did not live a much different life then the "char" they played in the movie..

I would like to know what would happen to these dolphins if no one visited these "parks" again. Would some group step in to help these Dolphins. I am sure there are many that would not be able to be set free. Would they be neglected more then they are now?

Does anyone have info on what could be done for these Dolphins?
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

I have done one dolphin swim and one encounter. The encounter was in the Bahamas in Nassau and the Dolphins were in a man amde natural hapitat and they seemed very happy. I also did a Dolphin swim in PC Fl at the GUlf World marine Park and it is a very structured thing and the dolphins are in a marine park and seem to enjoy what they are doing. These dolphins had 4 new dolphins this summer. We are doing the Dolphin swim at the Miami sea acquarium in Jan which is at another marine park.
Lexi