Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old October 8th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Royal Caribbean musicians...how is life on RCCL?

Hey there gang...I'm a solo guitar player/singer, been on Carnival for many years, about to make the jump to Royal. Any musicians who have worked for them before, tell me your stories...what you liked/didn't like, what ships you prefer, this kind of thing. I'm not new to cruise life but I am new to RCCL so I'm curious to know how things run there for us...from what I'm told (I have a couple friends who were/are jazz guys and techs there), we get treated a little better than on Carnival.

Thanks!
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Familiar Face

I can not answer specifically what they like and what not, but i know that their life is pretty easy. As far for the ship life it all comes to the ship management and personal wants. Every month the ranking changes so there is no safe to say i like this or that.

Generaly Royal had an awesome reputation for crew wellfare. not any more. the last 1,1.5 year HQ is struggling with the new ships, and ship management had found plenty of ground to play with since it all comes to bonus in the end....

Dont get me wrong, its still have many things crew related. Lets just say that once, you did your best to stay with Royal, now the competition is high so you occasionally look for other lines.

Out of curiosity and if you want to answer, why you left carnival? how is life there (i think money is better than Royal).
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:41 PM
First Mate

Are you going to the pub guitarist position? There is a Carnival MD/maybe shoreside guy now name Owen who I worked with back in the day . . . he'll have stories.
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

If it's Owen Miller, heck yes he has stories, he's a buddy of mine. I believe he just signed on Breeze, takin out the new horn section thing Carnival's doin.
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hellcine: Carnival has been cool people-wise, met some lifelong friends there, so that's been cool...but there really hasn't been a focus on the soloist position, and they're constantly cutting away positions and adding hours to the guys who are already there (and girls, there are several female soloists now actually). There's been a pay freeze in effect for quite some time so the money isn't amazing, and with most of the other lines there isn't nearly as much in terms of extra duties and limitations on stuff (ie. guest boat drills, port manning, where/when you can eat, dress code, etc). They don't really have much respect for the musicians (as opposed to the dancers and singers in the production shows, who are treated like gold, always promoted above any other activities onboard, are given extra days off at the drop of a hat, and who are paid MUCH better, particularly given the small number of hours they work and relatively small repertoire). Really I should have left before now but I did enjoy walking onto basically any ship in the fleet and knowing people, so I sort of stuck around for that.
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal carnivabbean View Post
they're constantly cutting away positions and adding hours to the guys who are already there). There's been a pay freeze in effect for quite some time so the money isn't amazing,
This statement applies to what RCCL has been doing across all departments as part of a series of cutbacks over the past couple of years. I definately wouldnt leave Carnival to move to RCCL if you looking to avoid that kind of situation. You may well end up jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire....or at least another frying pan
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Familiar Face

Good info. Carnival's solo entertainer salary is better than that on NCL, and NCL doesn't allow tip jars (though you can accept non-solicited tips). Can you tell us the total number of hours you'd typically log on your CCL time sheet?
Old October 14th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Tip jars have been a matter of much debate on Carnival...basically the long and short of it is that it depends on who your MD and HD are, it varies ship to ship. Hours are the same way...because half the fleet is "2.0" (and there are varying versions of what 2.0 is as well), and a handful (5, soon to be 6) of the ships have pubs that are set up with a different schedule than everyone else, the hours are all over the place. These days it seems to average sort of 25ish per week, but I've done over 30 in a couple of instances. They're also starting to add extra sets for repeaters' parties and whatnot, it's kind of a mess and there's really no central leadership as far as setting policy fleetwide.

Oh and as a side note, I made essentially the same money on Carnival as I did on NCL (though it's been almost 4 years since I was on NCL). This upcoming contract on Royal is very close as well, they all seem pretty close. I know Carnival is currently in a pay freeze though. Not sure for how long.