Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old September 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Personal trainer

Hi guys

I'm doing my research into working as a PT with the slave drivers that are stenier. Please don't give me the horror stories im well aware.

So ive got a few questions I was hoping someone can answer.

The trade test at the interview is it a 10 minute window to leaf a class or is it more specific to dealing with your mates injury and training around it.

When your at the academy the YMCA only provide one meal. So Ive got to find breakfast and dinner for at least 3 weeks and up to 12. So how much am I looking for each meal. Try and precise we need to budget.

On board the boat are pre(caffinee) post (protein) workout drinks available.

On board food
Can I get
Veg? Lean meats chicken, fish? Sweet potatoes?
Or is it canned veg, rubbish meats? Fries?

Is it true stenier have Introduced a miminal wage of $1000 so if you don't make it they top it up?
(I don't belive it)

Your commission and tips are yours do the spa take a cut for rent/floor space/ call it what you want?

What are the basic classes spinning? Pilates?

How much is a PT session how do you go about getting people to book them.

Drugs test? (Not for my benefit) (I swear)

Interviews in Leeds 18th give me a heads up if your going.

How much is a pint of beer in the crew room?

Can you send money home?

Appreciate it's a lot of questions but there's 2000 of us each year so I'm sure your answers will be help steiners for years too come. I just want a better idea of what im doing too.

Thanks in advance..

Interviews 18th of october in Leeds! Give me a heads up if your coming!
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

When your at the academy the YMCA only provide one meal. So Ive got to find breakfast and dinner for at least 3 weeks and up to 12. So how much am I looking for each meal. Try and precise we need to budget.

-depends on your budget and how much you want to eat, sandwich, crisps and drink 3-5 pounds. Meal in a restaurant typically minimum 15 with a drink. Continental or fried breakfast probably 7-9 plus a juice or tea, expect to pay a 10.

On board the boat are pre(caffinee) post (protein) workout drinks available.
Some cruise ships have a protein shake bar, you can buy a shake ($7 plus dollars) there. Crew shop does not carry protein powers or supplements, steiners have some supplements they sell, I dont know if steiner crew can purchase them. Most steiner trainers I knew bought all their supplements off the ship in the health food stores in port. You will end up doing the same.

On board food
Can I get
Veg? Lean meats chicken, fish? Sweet potatoes?
Or is it canned veg, rubbish meats? Fries?
Crew food is poor quality, farmed meats and fish, lifeless veg over cooked and often greasy. Fries, hot dogs etc, but they do have a salad area which gets boring real quick. usually you can find a big bowl of Tuna or something, so you may be able to manage a compromise. Dont expect to find probiotic yoghurt and organic meat :-)

Is it true stenier have Introduced a miminal wage of $1000 so if you don't make it they top it up?
(I don't belive it) Dont know, but Steiners is the only concession that makes its crew pay for its own cabins. Bottom line Steiners pay is awful, if your doing it for money, go elsewhere, wont cover ground you already know.

Your commission and tips are yours do the spa take a cut for rent/floor space/ call it what you want?
Yes they take a big cut of commision, and you pay for your accomodation onboard as well.

PTs do spinning, boxercise, pilates, usual stuff, plus a few hokey things, like vague seminars on healing and detoxing that always lead to a particular product, usually a supplement, being pushed at the end.

How much is a PT session how do you go about getting people to book them.
No idea on price. Usually free seminars are offered with a hard sell at end to get guests to sign up for PT. Also stalls around the ship are set up to try and draw in guests. You will stand around chatting to guests as they walk by.

Drugs test? (Not for my benefit) (I swear)
Yes there are random drugs tests on board the ship, usually done to test for alcohol, but can be for others. You will also have a pre-employment medical which will also test for drugs.

Interviews in Leeds 18th give me a heads up if your going.

How much is a pint of beer in the crew room?
dont know the exact price, all you need to know is the price drink in the crew bar is peanuts!!

Can you send money home?
Yes money can be wired from the ship to a bank account, or you can use a service off of the ship, some supermarkets like walmart offer a wire service.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

great reply thank you, I wasn't aware you had to pay for cabin. Their website boosts that food, drink and accodmation is all free of charge.

I'm gutted that they take a cut of commission that hardly seems fair!

And the price of food at training is steep! I was hoping it would be cheaper. 3 weeks without pay Is along time!

I must admit I'm not really in for the money experience, Benefit to the CV, see the world. Etc. However would like to make some money so I can work hard and play hard!
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

The cabin policy may have changed. I do know that other people have left since due to cutbacks, they might pick up the cabin charges now, but they will get the money back from you elsewhere.

Steiners are not fair, they dont need to be, as they have the monopoly of being the sole supplier of spa services to cruise ships. I think there is one other company and they have a couple of contracts.

The price of food was just based on UK prices if you go out to high street shops or restaurants. You can go in a supermarket and buy some bits and pieces in bulk, mcdonalds have a poundsaver menu if you need a quick snack, each item is around 1 pound. The UK is not a cheap place compared to most other countries.

You will get to travel and have lots of time to hang out, go to beaches, see sights etc. You will get to party, drinks are dirt cheap in the crew bar and there are parties every night. Food is free and you dont have electricity bills. You have to pay for internet. Realistically I wouldnt expect to make much money along the way but might look good on your resume.
Depends on what you career goals are, but perhaps you might want to consider being sports staff and then work for the cruise line directly?
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Familiar Face

Regarding food: it is indeed difficult for the health-conscious, but you should be able to at least get lots of fruit, especially if your contract allows you to eat in the passenger buffet. Ships have lots of melon and oranges; on my contracts the bananas and dried fruits have strangely only been for passengers. A trainer of my last contract worked something out with the kitchen staff so that he was provided with one whole avocado each day.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:48 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoist View Post
Hi,

PTs do spinning, boxercise, pilates, usual stuff, plus a few hokey things, like vague seminars on healing and detoxing that always lead to a particular product, usually a supplement, being pushed at the end.
I second that.
Your time onboard will be distributed: 10% doing what PT is supposed to, and 90% pushing naive people to buy useless Elemis products. I'll translate a post from a PT talking about his Steiner experience later on ...