Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old September 5th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question first time applicant/re: request for passport scan and number

Hi all,

I've recently started applying for shipboard employment, and came to one hiring partner, The Seven Seas Group, that requires your passport number and a scan of your passport to apply online. They seem like a legitimate hiring partner. Just wanted to see if this is legit. In this day and age I'm not inclined to hand over a lot of specific ID numbers and info prior to any contact and/or employment being offered.

Also, I'm finding that some of the cruise line and hiring partner's online applications are barely functional. Is it just me or has anyone else found this to be true? Specifically, inputting info that the application deems not sufficient or is somehow not in the right format. I consider myself to be pretty tech/internet savvy, but....

Thanks in advance!

jojo
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Familiar Face

If you're not comfortable in handing over your passport info(rightly so), then why not just apply directly to the company's direct hiring partner. Pick a(or a few) cruise line and start there.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

A lot of the hiring partners do ask for passport scans and similar information.

First rule of dealing with any hiring partner, never pay them for any kind of "membership fee". A lot of the scammer sites ask you to sign up to pay to be on their records or something like that.

I am pretty sure the Seven Seas Group is legitimate. A lot of the hiring partners do seem to be a bit behind the times, with out of date websites and antiquated processes, so it doesnt really help you in identifying who is legit and who isnt.

One of the best ways as Karen pointed out, is to look directly at the cruise lines websites as they normally list who their hiring partner is on their own site.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the input!

I was directed to Seven Seas by the Norwegian Cruise line site. Seven Seas appear to also be a hiring partner for Royal Caribbean. I've applied directly to as many cruise lines as I can, and am now researching the hiring partners that are listed specifically by the cruise lines as hiring partners they work with.

Do most people get hired by applying directly to the cruise lines? Or through the hiring partners?
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Varies among cruise lines, majority I would say from hiring partners, especially in countries like the Phillipines. I went through a hiring partner for RCCL.
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm a US citizen. Are there upsides or downsides to that? From my research I'm starting to get the sense that many fewer Americans are hired than other nationals.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Familiar Face

Seven Seas is a trusty office. Many people, including myself went through this.
I had the same thoughts but it is on the list of recruiter at least for Royal. And i know that Norwegean use it also. I guess still using it.
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are not that many Americans that get hired, and those that do are mainly entertainers, who generally live a charmed life, compared to other crew. Over the years I'd heard different views about hiring American staff in the more regular roles, I think there was a perception that many Americans couldnt handle working on ships, that it was too far out of their comfort zone, and couldnt survive without the comforts of life on land. You heard stories of american crew starting work, and then complaining that they didnt get weekends off and such like.

In reality, I did meet a variety of American crew along the way who were not entertainers and none of them had any problem working on ships and some had worked for years and loved it. I dont think being a US citizen has an upside or downside, its more about the attitude you display. As long as the hiring partner thinks you are a hands on person who can handle what ever comes your way, and not a diva who will throw a hissy fit when they discover the crew mess doesnt serve free Starbucks mocha frappa crappuccino's, then you should be ok :-)
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Familiar Face

There were lots of US citizens in the YA jobs, but I was on a Disney ship, so there's different reasons why people want to join the company. I was in the Galley on the ship, and I was only one of two native English speaking galley crew. That alone had it's challenges!
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I have mostly been pursuing shore excursion jobs, as that is what some of my experience would suit me for and also it seems of interest to me. I have some customer service and sales experience, but not a lot and it was a long time ago. I think one of my advantages would be having contract work experience in far flung places that had me living with a roommate, eating in a cafeteria, etc. So I'm very familiar with contract work (a logistics background in the private sector helping to supply science projects), living close quarters and working hard/long hours. (I've been highlighting the above in my CV and cover letters, and in whatever way I can in the online applications.) I don't know if that's enough to suggest that my diverse/jack of all trades resume would be a good fit for them. I suspect I may be a bit of an odd applicant compared to many. Any thoughts?

Also, is age an issue? I'm 48.
Old September 7th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Familiar Face

Shore Ex is a great position to have! 'Good life' as crew will describe. Can't comment on the age thing, but I was 39 when I started with Disney, but my resume was geared specifically to the postilion that I applied for.
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

ShoreX is fine. Depending on the ship and the manager you will have from "ok" to "oh my god" working times. You will still be able to go to ports and things and the benefit is that most of the time is off charge. Not to wow as a job not bad either.

All companies prefer US people but not too many onboard. about 50-60 people per ship at most. Money is "lower" than on land so that might be an actual reason for not having to many.

Royal currently is in high searches for people so even if you dont have experience, chances are that you will get hired.

Be warned that "crew life", "fun" and "amazing experiences" are highly depending on the ship and the itinerary. Management helps or destroys good crew life.
Old September 7th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for everyone's replies. I hope I'm not asking questions that are answered in other threads. I searched and read quite a few but they didn't answer my questions. Feel free to direct me to sources/threads that would seem to have information I may want.

What would an approximate monthly salary be for a first-time Shore excursion staff person? I know that it would be dependent on which line, but I'm looking for a ballpark figure. One estimate I've read said 2000-3000 USD. Does that seem accurate in 2015?

Also, I have a couple of hurdles I may need to get over and I wonder if you could weigh in. I have small tattoos (2 in. x 1 in.) on each inner forearm, about 4-5 inches above my wrist. Visible in a short sleeved shirt, not visible in a long sleeve shirt. Is that a dealbreaker?

And, as an idealistic youth I was arrested twice at a couple of political demonstrations. Neither were violent or involved property damage. And both were over 25 years ago. Once again, dealbreaker?

Thanks!
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Familiar Face

salary: no that money. 3000$ makes shorex manager on a good ship with commision icluded in Royal. base salary i think is 1700$ + a miror commision.

tatoos: allthough Royal policy says "no visible tatoos" i have seen people with whole sleeves working onboard. Tatoos now are trend so i dont believe you will have any issue, unless the tatoo says people to f#$k off or have on the neck or face.

Police record: not a dealbreaker but they might ask additional info.
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have seen crew with arm tattoos at Royal. In some departments the uniforms offer both short and long sleeve options in terms of clothing. In the SPA which is a subcontracted company the staff had to wear skin colored plasters over their tattoo's.
My guess is that depending on the cruise line, some will enforce their tattoo policy more than others. Probably the 6 star cruise lines trying to promote a high-end image might be more strict on these things.
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I appreciate all the replies I'm going to continue to apply directly to the several lines that I haven't, as of yet (Carnival, Norwegian, Holland America, MSC) as well as the various hiring partners the major lines are working with. While I understand that it's a long shot I've also applied to some of the smaller/luxury lines: Azamara, Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania, Regent Seven Seas, Silverseas. They were actually the easiest to apply to as they had easy to navigate and readily available application processes. Their web sites were also, by far, the most informative and helpful. I'm finding the bigger lines' application processes to be rather maze-like and opaque.

Any advice on how to follow up on applications already submitted? Email? Try to research a phone number in order to actually speak with someone? Wait for a response from them? I don't want to pester anyone but I do want to show that I'm serious about working in the industry.

Also, any general advice regarding applications/strategies/specific jobs or lines you may have would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again!
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

hi jojosea,

Just wanted to let you know I have a tentative offer for Shore Excursions with RCCL, and the pay is $1800 a month. With NCL it's $1700, so those figures you listed are much too high!!!

In terms of the application process, be extremely patient!! It can take up to a year to go through recruitment, the various interviews, background checks, and then finally waiting in the gap pool. I applied to RCCL in January, and they hope to have a contract for me by the end of the year. NCL took 7 months to get to the offer stage where I am now. A few years ago, my DCL application was the fastest, and was about 4 months start to finish. So just keep applying, and don't be discouraged if you haven't heard anything within the next couple of months!
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Familiar Face

Tattoo: Carnival has a loose policy about tattoos. Since almost department has short and long sleeve uniforms, as long as you cover it (no matter how), you are good. I saw a lot wearing this "sport sleeves" (mainly Under Armour brand).
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks again for all the info! It sounds like my tattoos aren't much to worry about, but my potential income is

@Blondiemagic I hear you. When I decide to do something I tend to get after it. Perhaps with a little too much...energy. Though I have found in the past that you have to be proactive. Patience isn't so much the issue as the shipboard cruise application process seems to be pretty one-sided. The only feedback I've gotten so far (okay, so I've only been applying for the last month) has been auto-reply emails stating that my application has been received. Is that typical? Should I do nothing for the next 2-4 months, assuming that my application is still being considered? Stated slightly differently than above, I've only ever gotten jobs I've wanted by going after them with intention and commitment. I saw in another post that you're scrambling to get stuff together for an upcoming job. No need to respond to this if thinks are hectic in your world.

Thanks again everyone for the input!
Old September 9th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Familiar Face

The money is rubbish, but you're working so much, you tend not to spend a lot of money whilst at sea. I came home with more money than I thought I would.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jojosea, if you havnt read it already, take a look at this post.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cre...-gap-pool.html

Getting a job on a cruise line is a slow process for the majority of people, unless the cruise line is really desperate. You have to be patient and get used to being left hanging in the air as to what happens next, even when you have a job offer!

Its a totally different process to getting a job on land.

As for the money, few people from the western world work on cruise ships for the money, unless they are in a senior position where money can be good.
Crew from western countries usually do it for the travel and experience of life at sea, those who do it for money are from countries with a weak economy and the cruise ship salary is good money for them.

As Karen97 mentioned you spend very little as food and accomodation is covered, and you have no daily commute, so its easy to save a lot of your salary.
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

@Karen97 and @taoist

My primary interest in working on a cruise ship is the experience of being on the sea, living without a permanent address for several years and being able to take months off per year to travel. While I wouldn't be in it for the money, making more rather than less is preferable, as it does determine one's ability to make the most of one's time when not onboard.

I'll definitely read the link you gave, taoist. Thanks!

PS After having read the informative link taoist suggested, I realize that my question is slightly different. Prior to any contact from the line, let alone an interview or an offer, how do I know I'm even being considered if I hear nothing back. How long should I wait to try to follow up on an application if I haven't heard anything from the cruise line? Do I wait for months not knowing if I'm even being considered? or do I get on to looking for other interesting employment outside the cruise industry? So far, having been applying for positions for going on 4 or 5 weeks, the only thing I've heard from any of the lines have been auto-reply emails stating that they've received my application. Normally I would try to follow up an application by a phone call or an email, but perhaps that isn't the way the cruise industry works. And it seems almost impossible to find any real contact information on departments, let alone real people.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Familiar Face

depends. Carnival and related to are sending reject mails. Royal no.
It took me 3,5 months before they contact me from royal. So you never sure as any online application.

I have been contacted by companies that found my CV 1.5 year after i had applied.

So basicaly dont wait only for this. If you have a job keep it until you receive LOE (not even if you pass the interviews) and if you dont and want keep looking.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jojosea, I realise of course that whilst some dont do it for the money, they are not going to work for free and like you say it makes sense to get the best deal on offer. Salaries do vary between cruise lines, although not hugely you can find the odd cruise line that pays a premium for the same position as for whatever reason they may consider it to be more important than other lines do.

I understand what you are asking now, you just want feedback on your initial application. From my experience the cruise lines themselves are fairly anonymous, you dont get much response and its hard to find a specific contact, all you can really do is fire off your CV and hope for the best. Many cruise lines never got back to me with any kind of response, not even and auto-response.
The hiring partners were easier to deal with in terms of getting feedback, the one I went through would tell me what jobs were going and whether the cruise lines actually needed somebody right now, or that they were hiring but didnt have actual available positions to fill.

As Hellcine mentioned whatever you do if you have a job currently dont quit that, as it can potentially be a long and slow process. The best approach you can do is try and hit every cruise line and hiring parnter with your CV (making sure to avoid scammer sites) There is a really good post with a lot of links somewhere on here, that user SZ posted. See if you can find that.
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Another needed qualification for Shorex is languages - Spanish, Italian, French, German, Portuguese . . and then if Asia, Japanese, Chinese, etc . . . . . . Helps to have at least one or two languages under your belt.

Also - don't be afraid to follow up on your application (especially if you apply direct to the line). I know for certain a few of the lines hiring departments are short staffed, so being a bit of a 'squeaky wheel' will keep your name fresh.
Old September 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the replies, all! I'll check out the contact link post.