Old February 13th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Captain

Default St. Nicholas Abbey, Bridgetown, Barbados

Sailing on the Legend 9 Mar. Port call in Bridgetown, 7AM-5PM. We have been told not to miss a visit to St. Nicholas Abbey. Unfortunately it is not one of the excursions offered by the ship. Has anyone done a tour on their own using a local vendor to the Abbey? If so, what was the approx. cost and how long did it take? And further, was it worth the visit?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Need some cruise help?
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:31 PM
Captain

Just trying to keep the posting active. We would really like any information available about visiting the Abbey.

Thanks.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:00 PM
Admiral

You could try contacting Barbados Tourism and inquire.

I have been to Barbados twice and never heard anyone speak about touring the Abbey.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
Admiral

St. Nicholas Abbey, a Jacobean mansion with a rum distillery - not a religios site, is pretty far north. You might include time there with an island taxi tour. This link has info from Barbados.org Barbados Seven Wonders: St.Nicholas Abbey

The official website is Barbados Historic Attraction ? Plantation ? Jacobean Mansion ? Rum Distillery ? St. Nicholas Abbey Plantation ? Barbados, West Indies. I didn't see taxi cost mentioned on either site.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
St. Nicholas Abbey, a Jacobean mansion with a rum distillery - not a religios site, is pretty far north. You might include time there with an island taxi tour. This link has info from Barbados.org Barbados Seven Wonders: St.Nicholas Abbey

The official website is Barbados Historic Attraction ? Plantation ? Jacobean Mansion ? Rum Distillery ? St. Nicholas Abbey Plantation ? Barbados, West Indies. I didn't see taxi cost mentioned on either site.

Thanks for the info. Several other travel sites said it was a don't miss attraction. However, it is probably out of the question now since it is so far from the port. Just another reason to revisit Barbados

Need some cruise help?
Old February 25th, 2015, 01:38 PM
First Mate

There is a Rum tour on the south end of island between airport and cruise port. One of my favorites excursions was the catamaran/snorkling tour.
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default Rum tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
There is a Rum tour on the south end of island between airport and cruise port. One of my favorites excursions was the catamaran/snorkling tour.

I took the rum tour last month. I would not recommend it.This of course is my opinion .
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Admiral

We went to the Foursquare Rum Factory yesterday and had a good time. They have a free self guided walking tour but do charge for tasting. We paid 10 BDS (5 USD) and tasted 8+ rums, you can also pick and choose. Foursquare is close to Sunbury Plantation. They serve a Bajan buffet lunch and afternoon tea. The two could be combined for a nice excursion. Or you could go on and check out the Crane Resort. You could have lunch at The Crane or go up the road a wee bit and have a delicious flying fish sandwich at Cutters Deli.

Foursquare and Sunbury are about 30 to 40 minutes from Bidgetown and the Crane about 10 minutes further on. The roads a far less hair raising than the one up north to St. Nicholas Abbey. If you are not comfortable driving on the left a cab would be your best bet.

Enjoy your trip.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Last January my wife and I visited St. Nicholas Abbey when we stopped in Barbados while on the Jewel of the Seas. We specifically wanted to visit St. Nicholas Abbey and the Earthworks Pottery factory and contracted with a cab driver outside of the port building. As I recall, the cost was about $ 125.00 for the day, and we were gone about 4 to 5 hours. Since it was just the two of us, we took as much time as we wanted at both locations. I don't think there were any tours that went there.

St. Nicholas Abbey is one of the remaining "Great Houses" on the island and is quite a distance from the port. We thought, however, that it was worth the trip. The house is quite beautiful, as are the grounds. There is also a small rum distillery that was open for tours, however they were not operating it the day we were there. They also have a small café if you want to eat lunch.

We had a great day and would not hesitate to go there again. There is a website for St. Nicholas Abbey so you might want to take a look at it.
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Half hour drive by car ...up towards the Northern part of the island, longer by local bus. It's up near Speightstown. Never bothered ourselves but we should have, I can't see much more than an hour of interest, they show an historic film too. Plan it with other things like the caves, the Wildlife park (small petting zoo really) & a trip down the East coast via north point?