Old February 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Beginner

Default Passports

Our first cruise to the Southern Caribbean...our travel agent told us we didn't need passsports. Reading previous posts, however, I want to confirm that...any thoughts?
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Passports

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis sue
Our first cruise to the Southern Caribbean...our travel agent told us we didn't need passsports. Reading previous posts, however, I want to confirm that...any thoughts?
Depends on when your cruise is. If traveling anytime after June 1, 2009, you will need a passport for sea, land and air travel. If before June 1, 2009, you will not need a passport for sea travel. However, you will need original or certified copies of birth certificates or naturalization papers. It is easiest and probably safest just to get a passport. You do not need a passport to travel by air to and from Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. A passport is strongly recommended.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Let me muddy the waters.

First off, I fully urge everyone to get and maintain a passport. That said, Customs And Border Protection revised the rules and now have a "Closed Loop" exception for U.S. citizens on some cruises leaving from U.S. ports and returning to the same port. For them the birth certificate and photo ID will still work, even after June 1. There are many caveats and it is best to simply read it. I just tried to open the link but the CBP.com website won't open. I suggest you google "CBP Closed Loop" later today and see if it opens.

Some highlights - the cruise HAS to start and end at the same port and it HAS to be a U.S. port. I assume San Juan counts.

Again - just get a passport and be done with it.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
First Mate

The trouble with cruising without a passport is, if you need to fly back home from one of the ports you will have some delay and frustrations without a passport. Just do it!
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
The trouble with cruising without a passport is, if you need to fly back home from one of the ports you will have some delay and frustrations without a passport. Just do it!
I totally agree. from everything I heard, you can travel on a cruise to and from the US without the passport BUT if you need to fly back (ie you missed the ship at a port, family emergency,etc) good luch getting into the US without a passport or even getting the airline to let you board a plane (they are responsible if you arrive in the US and are denied entry)

GET a passport!!!
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Everybody should have a passport. It doesn't cost much and you always will be prepared.

It surely is much cheaper than an emergency passport from the US Embassy in case someone misses the ship or has to disembark due to medical reasons.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers
Let me muddy the waters.

First off, I fully urge everyone to get and maintain a passport. That said, Customs And Border Protection revised the rules and now have a "Closed Loop" exception for U.S. citizens on some cruises leaving from U.S. ports and returning to the same port. For them the birth certificate and photo ID will still work, even after June 1. There are many caveats and it is best to simply read it. I just tried to open the link but the CBP.com website won't open. I suggest you google "CBP Closed Loop" later today and see if it opens.

Some highlights - the cruise HAS to start and end at the same port and it HAS to be a U.S. port. I assume San Juan counts.

Again - just get a passport and be done with it.
Let me muddy the waters further... the closed loop rule is a unilateral rule. If any of the 20 countries that is part of the WHTI initiative change their rules, the closed-loop exception will die. For example, Canada hasn't decided what it will do, yet and is warning travellers to have their passport in case they decide to require passports from American citizens (in retaliation to the US requiring it of Canadians). The Canadian government doesn't have to recognize the "closed-loop" exemption because it's a US rule.

There are a total of 20 countries involved any of which can change their laws at any time. I wouldn't chance my vacation like that... I'd get a passport.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
absolutely, and if you are returning because of a medical problem, you do not need the hassle! Just do it!
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Passenger

Default passports

You do not need a passport at this time but if you don't have one you must have a photo id with your birthdate on it (ie drivers license) and a certified copy of your birth certificate (not a hospital record or copy) and if you are a married woman, you must have a copy of your marriage certificate because your married name will differ from your birth certificate. It is much easier to have a passport. After June 1, 2009 everyone must have a passport.
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Passenger

The following article appears today (March 27th, 2009) on Peter Greenberg's website regarding passports. It reads in part.....

However, the numbers could surge again as a new deadline approaches. As of June 1, 2009, Americans driving or cruising into the U.S. from Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean will be required to show either a passport, or the new “passport card.”

The June 1 deadline will finally synchronize the land and sea transport rules with the air travel rules. For the last two years air travelers coming from these regions have been required to have a passport, but implementation of the land and sea regulations was delayed after processing centers were overwhelmed with applications.

In order to inform the public about the deadline and encourage people to apply for passports and passport cards, the State Department is holding a national outreach event tomorrow, Saturday March 28.

Dubbed “Passport Day in the USA,” during the event hundreds of post offices, town halls, and passport agencies around the country will allow people to walk in and apply for a passport without making an appointment. Many of these venues will offer extended hours.

The DOS says that the current wait time for a passport or passport card is four weeks for regular service, and two to three weeks for rush service. To find a center near you, go to travel.state.gov or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

The new rules stipulate that for those traveling by air from Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean, a passport is the only document that is accepted by U.S. Immigration. Those entering at land borders or sea ports can use either a passport, a passport book, or the smaller, cheaper passport card.

There are also several other forms of identification that immigration will accept for those entering the country by land or sea. The State Department Web site gives details on this, as well as how to apply for a passport online if you are unable to make it in person to an application center on Saturday.
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Admiral

I think I would forego the card and get the passport book. JMHO.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will need a passport very soon to travel pretty much any where so your better off just getting it now it's good for 10 years for everyone over 16 and until the age of 16 for the younger ones.

Carnival Legend:Western Caribbean
RCCL - Explorer of the seas: Bermuda - April 08
NCL - Spirit: Eastern Caribbean - April 07