Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:47 AM
A.P.P.

Default Cruising with 8 month old

Can anyone suggest what cruise line would be best...Although Disney has what seems like a great nursery, it lacks diversity in it's itineraries and from what I've heard is very expensive. Has anyone used Carnival's group babysitting? It seems to only be available for limited hours while in port and after 10 pm when the baby will be sleeping anyhow. I don't think any other line offers babysitting for an 8 month old.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Cruising with 8 month old

I took a cruise this past January on Celebrity with our 7 month old at the time. Both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will offer in-cabin babysitting for any children over the age of 6 months. It was $8/hr back then. However, if you are looking for group babysitting, I think Disney and Carnival are your only options anymore.

-Bill
Old October 6th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Luisa

I am the family cruise editor here. Last year we cruised Disney when my son was 7 months and he enjoyed the nursery a number of times. (See my article on Disney's Nursery on the main page of the family section here.) We were very pleased with the care there. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do offer in cabin babysitting, as does Holland America Line. Last year we sailed RCI and hired a private babysitter. However, it was my understanding that children must be one year old for babysitting. I can double check that with my contacts. HAL staff is very lovely and we were pleased with the private babysitter we had one night....very sweet and they will take the little ones to public rooms or for a stroll if you wish. (RCI and Celebrity is in cabin only.) Carnival's group babysitting does have very limited times as you noted.
Feel free to ask add'l questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Bonnie Menendez

Default Re: Re: Cruising with 8 month old

Luisa
Have you inquired about the minimum age for in-cabin baby sitting. I am sailing next week on RCI and my son is 10 months old.

Also about safety seats in cabs and cars in ports.

Thank you for you answers
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Passenger

It is definitely a year old on RCI - we met a couple on our last cruise who had an 8 month old and was furious that they would not give them the babysitting service. They tried to escalate it because they had read somewhere it was 6 months but RCI would not budge.
BTW - we used the in-room babysitting every night with out 16 month old - the babysitter was FANTASTIC - a young woman from Costa Rica, we loved her.
Old October 10th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Luisa

Bonnie:
Are you leaving this weekend? I'm waiting to hear back from my contacts.
Best,
Luisa
Old October 10th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Luisa

As I wrote on the other post, my RCI contact said that babysitting has been lowered to those 6 months and older, so you're in luck!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor