Old December 30th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Default First time to Jamaica: Ocho Rios or MoBay

We are about to swap a 4 day Bahamas cruise out for a 6/7 day Western Caribbean. While I have been to Cozumel, and have a pretty good idea what to expect for Grand Cayman, I am not entirely sure what the real differences are between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios are. I know about the stories about Jamaican vendors being pushy and it being so called unsafe(more likely culture shock than reality.....I have been to Colombia twice so I am used to how things are in the Caribbean and Latin America). I want to make the right choice since I will have a family member(my 65 year old mother) traveling with me, and want to be sure there is enough that she can do at her pace while I still have some more adventurous stuff for myself, as well as being able to soak in local culture(we are both big on history and culture, so we do want to have this available). Would you recommend Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, between the two?

Need some cruise help?
Old December 30th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Oh, we are planning for late next November, if that helps.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 30th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually both ports don't have much to offer right near their ports, so you'd need to do some excursion anyway. Both have a few shopping areas, but that is about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

These ports are often discussed and have been for years by many, as a stay onboard day..I've been to both ports and after my last visit, I vowed never again. If I was a first timer to these ports, and read what I just wrote, I'd say, I I'll find out for myself, and I agree.

Between these two selections I would say, do Ocho Rios..you can do the Falls, and your Mom can shop...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Ocho Rios is preferable to Mo Bay, mostly because Ocho is smaller and you do have Dunn's River Falls to see. There is a secured mall adjacent to the cruise ship piers that has Margaritaville and lots of stores. Go there and you won't be bothered by panhandlers.

But, if you want to venture into town go to the Ocho Rios Jerk Centre for some truly outstanding jerk chicken and pork. It's safe to eat.
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dunns Falls in Ocho Rios was one of the best things I ever did! It was so beautiful and fun! You actually walk right through a water fall! We really had a good day there. However, make sure you book an excursion for this and don't wander off on your own. If you can't climb the actual falls, there is a natural staircase right along side the falls.

There was a Margaritaville near the ship and we walked there after our tour to Dunns Falls (we got dropped off at the ship to change). We did get stopped a few times by the natives selling drugs... so just be cautious. And as mentioned there is a mall near the ship too, but we didn't go.

Margaritaville was fun for a couple hours.
Explorer of the Seas...June 2006
Majesty of the Seas...July 2008
Majesty of the Seas...July 2009
Explorer of the Seas...August 2009
Majesty of the Seas...May 2010
Explorer of the Seas...July 2011
Enchantment of the Seas...August 2012
Grandeur of the Seas...August 2013

Oasis of the Seas... 4-18-15