Old February 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Deposits

[color=#444444]On another thread someone mentioned that on a future cruise, Carnival required only 50% of the normal deposit.

So if it was a $1000 cruise, they often ask for a $500 or so deposit, right?

And on this cruise, they asked 50% of the normal deposit, or $250 as I understand it,

I know that on some group cruises (min 8 staterooms) they will allow for much lower deposits.

What has everyone's experience been? I know that I will sign up for more cruises farther on the horizon with lower cruises. It is like a lay-away plan or a forced savings plan!

I don't want to part with big deposits for cruises far into the future, and won't. Seems like a smart move to lower the deposits.

What's the history on deposits? More precisely SMALL deposits.

~K

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was under the impression that Carnival had a set amount for its deposits. My 5 night was $250 and I think a 7 night is $300. I dont think its 50% unless things have changed.

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Carnivals policy is for 6-7 night cruises $250/pp deposit. 3-5 is less but I don't remember that number. I would love cheaper deposits.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish Carnival would do like Princess and let you book your next cruise right aboard the ship with only a $100 deposit, no matter what the itinerary is.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Familiar Face

I definitely understood the poster to say her deposit was reduced 50%. She was asked for a clarification and confirmed it again.

Further, the group I am involved in has VERY low deposit requirements because it is a group. I was wondering if this was new or special, and it seems it is.

And on a cruise 9-12+ months out, why not? The thing that is most important, and probably unchangable is that everything is paid in full around 10 weeks prior to the sail date.

If the deposit is holding you back, I'd check it out with my travel agent. What has been rational over the years for higher deposits anyway?

Old February 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Just booked a 5 night cruise, and the deposit is $200 per person.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
I wish Carnival would do like Princess and let you book your next cruise right aboard the ship with only a $100 deposit, no matter what the itinerary is.
When I was on Valor you could have booked your next cruise while on board with only a $100 deposit. This is something they are now doing while on board

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Carnival is experimenting with this on certain ships. Make a $100 pp deposit on your next cruise, during your current cruise, and get $100 per cabin OBC. They also offered to set you up with a certificate if you didn't know when your next cruise would be so you could get the $100 OBC for making a $100 deposit on a future cruise. That's for 7 days, longer and shorter cruises varied the OBC a bit.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Pug
Quote:
When I was on Valor you could have booked your next cruise while on board with only a $100 deposit. This is something they are now doing while on board
That's a good deal. I will look and see if they are doing this in a couple of weeks while we are on the Triumph. I know they weren't doing this on the Holiday last December.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09

Old February 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Admiral

I'm thissssss close to booking and I was told twice my deposit would be $250 pp for any cabin I booked. This was 7 mexican riviera cruise next september. 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Familiar Face

Default Groups

I've noticed that two of my sources for these discounted deposits is for groups sailing on Carnival.

They may be making special arrangements to encourage small groups.

If so, I think it is great because if you are trying to put together a small group, getting cruise virgins to make the plunge is often hard. So giving them a small deposit may make it easier to motivate more cruise addicts asea!

K

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a good deal. I will look and see if they are doing this in a couple of weeks while we are on the Triumph. I know they weren't doing this on the Holiday last December.
Just off "Triumph", and unfortunately, they didn't offer this GREAT deal. I've done it a time or two, and always bite when it's offered, but unless I was asleep at the wheel, the offer wasn't made. No worries,,,,we had a wonderful time aboard "Triumph". WOW, what a great crew, and super food.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just off "Triumph", and unfortunately, they didn't offer this GREAT deal. I've done it a time or two, and always bite when it's offered, but unless I was asleep at the wheel, the offer wasn't made. No worries,,,,we had a wonderful time aboard "Triumph". WOW, what a great crew, and super food.

Ken
"SKY"
Glad to hear everything was good on the Triumph. I will check it out when we sail.....I am soooo looking forward to this cruise, it will be our first with a balcony and we are excited.

Happy Cruisin
Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09