Old July 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default jewelry shopping on board and ports of alaska

On the alaska cruises, do they have tanzanite/diamond jewelry? Where is the best place to buy it on an alaska cruise? Do they have jewelers like they do the carribbean? Has anyone bought rings on the alaska cruise ships? What are your opinions? Thanks
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: jewelry shopping on board and ports of alaska

Yes on the ship and in port. Plenty of jewelry stores, a little too like the Caribbean in some respects.
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: jewelry shopping on board and ports of alaska

Have you ever bought jewelry from the ship vs the ports? I think I'm going to break down and buy my tanzanite/diamond ring but don't want to get screwed buying a 2000.00 piece of S___ if you know what I mean. Thanks
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Passenger

I have never seen more jewelry stores in my life than in the ports in Alaska! Lots and lots of Diamonds - especially in Ketchikan and Skagway.

I didn't see anything really special onboard (Zaandam) but I wasn't looking either.

You should have no problem finding something in port!
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Like most cruise destinationss, Alaska is a sucker's paradise. The same "stores" you see in Alaska will be moved to the Caribbean in a few months.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM
Ladyrace

We by passed all those jewelers in the ports. We had something better in mind. In Skagway we did some investigating and found a man with a rock/gem store just off the main street. He has his own Jade mine! (Jade is the Alaskan state stone) We also found plenty of gems at smaller local shops. We bought our Ammolite and Amethyst in loose form to have it put in a setting here at our local shop. This allowed us to buy a bigger stone and a higher quality stone since we were paying by the Carat and not by the "piece". Happy Shopping!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
JennCandi

They have the Diamond's International that are in all the ports in the Caribbean.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Alaska-cruisegal

Just returned from an Alaska cruise, there are alot of jewelry stores.

One joke in Ketchikan told to us by a tour guide:

With 3 cruise ships in port (Princess, HAL, Celebrity) and another Celebrity ship anchored (Mercury) off shore, the town is contemplating extending their dock to accommodate more jewelry stores which line the Front street and the docks.

There are WAY too many jewelry stores lining Front Street in Ketchikan - just my opinion.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

I didn't think there were any stores on Front Street but jewlery stores, afterall is not Alaska known for their diamond mines???

In Scagway my wife wanted something and she told them she would take it, if they gave her a 20% discount,,,,and they did.

I liken it to the way department stores sell jewlery during the holidays at "50-60% off". You may get a normal deal IF you ask for a discount off what they want to charge you. Or they'll laugh in your face because another ship is steaming it's way there.

Also, don't forget, the ship will have the giant "sale of the summer" ,which I would suppose happens every voyage.
Old August 6th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to debsmouse Send a message via Yahoo to debsmouse

I am going on my first cruise (yippee) to Alaska in Sept. what kind of money are you talking about when you talk about this Tanzanite jewlery? I don't buy that much jewelry, so unfortunately I will be at the hands of the jewelers, and I won't know if I am getting shafted or not. Any info would surely help

Deb

[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=09&year=2005&day=03&hour=16:00[img]
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Alaska-cruisegal

I thought Alaska (ex. A.J. Gastineau Mill and Gold Mine, Juneau) was known for gold.
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:21 AM
MrsMoose

Where is the jade shop in skagway please? I'll be there and I would love to look at his stuff.
I love shopping, I hope I have enough time to shop, lol.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

I was joking,,if you couldn't tell,, about the diamond mines. If it wasn't for the 1898 gold rush,,we wouldn't be there,,,probably,,we probably so because there is black gold.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Gingee

I wonder if any of the ports (Carribbean or Alaska) have any better jewelry than you can buy at home at a jewelry store or Target.
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Barb B

The shopping guide on our ship told us that the stores from the Caribbean all move up to Alaska for the summer, so, yes they are the same stores. The benefit of buying them in Alaska is that there is no duty (for Americans) since you are buying them on American soil.

if you know what you want (diamonds, tanzanite, ammolite, etc.) you can get a card from your shopping guide that will give you a discount at some of the stores. It will be about half the price on the tag. On our cruise there was a very informative lecture about diamonds and gems that allowed you to know what the seller was talking about as far as grade, etc.

If you are not shopping for jewelry (we weren't) there really isn't much else around except souveniers - many made in China.
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Corrine Lunt

In Juneau there is an artisan named Cha. She has her own shop in downtown. I purchased a beautiful hand carved cameo of petrified ivory of which I continuously get rave reviews - not cheap mind you but gorgeous. Also they have the same stores that are in the Caribean and my cousin had her diamond upgraded there for a very good price and quality. On another trip I bought Tanzanite in a small shop and got a fair price, I think. I buy very little gem jewelry on board but do buy watches and art (in their art auctions). Enjoy
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
carol eskra

Good quality tanzanite ring, plan to spend at least 4K.
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
SEPyle

Barb B,

In responce to your statement about nothing much else to buy except souviniers made in China: Not really. I found some really neat soap make from the silt of glaciers in various cities. Another really really neat gift to bring home: Homemade jellies made from the various berries and other things that grow in Alaska. We found one place that will mail whatever fits in a box for $10.00. I also bought some beautiful pendants made from pretrified ivory. Another piece is from the antlers of Carabou.

For me it felt good to supporti the wonderful people of Alaska instead of the big stores from the Caribbean.

Sharon