Old January 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Holland america medical care

please be aware that due to the recent merger of Holland America's medical department with that of Princess, passenger physicans are NO LONGER from the US or Canada!!
US and Canadian physicians were dismissed by the new medical director who comes from Princess.
Old January 12th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not neccessarily a bad thing....I've had many Doctors from around the globe...I'm sure they will all speak Emglish ...my only question is of a possible language barrier, with some subjects or circumstances..?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 12th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Other than when I was on a Cunard cruise in 1973 every other doctor that I have encountered on cruise ships has neither been American or Canadian.
Old May 7th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Familiar Face

Just on Zaandam - cabin mate visited the Dr who was from Seattle - but he was planning to move to Oregon!
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Captain

The Medical Director at Princess is South African - and one of the best medical people I have worked with during more than 30 years on cruise ships.

HAL previously signed up American and Canadian Doctors and Nurses who worked for short periods - for very little pay - in return for a free cruise. Many of these people were not very dedicated to the job; often times they were worried more about going on a shore excursion or arranging a nice dinner in the Steak House than they were about taking care of sick people.
Princess hires experienced Emergency Room Staff from big city hospitals in South Africa. They sign on as regular long term crew; not part-time help.These people have seen and experienced more - and more diverse - medical emergencies than most North American medical staff.
And although the North Americans all speak 2 languages (English and English louder), all the South Africans speak several languages - including excellent English.