Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Worst Smell On A Cruise Ship

This is too funny!

My DH is ROTF. I think he relates..... (Wink)

I have to agree with the sewage for myself.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Worst Smell On A Cruise Ship

1. kippers on the breakfast buffet

2. dirty diaper being changed on a sofa in one of the promenade lounges - gross!

Jo - thinks the best scent is the ocean
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Yeoman

I have a contender...my DH with food borne illness from eating tuna sushi! The aroma actually woke me from a sound sleep! I had to move to the balcony for awhile. Poor guy made the tiles pop off of the wall in the bathroom. Fortunatly for the rest of the ship he was confined to the bathroom for the duration of this illnesss and did not share this with the rest of the ship.

Lesley
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
LoriJ

Our hallway ...... smelled like sewage, day & night. Nothing like getting up, getting dressed, opening the cabin door and WHAM! sewage.....
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Familiar Face

WOW, thanks to all for the great suggestions, I have been searching for a cruise that has lots of cigar smoking, sewage spills and people with bad odors! Cant wait to book!
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM
rhlaw

bobbyLouisville, I can't stop laughing about your remark. You made my day.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Familiar Face

rhlaw, I'm glad I made you laugh.... now you've made my day!
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

we were on the grand a couple of years ago,in the vista lounge and the couple that was with us,well lets say he cleared about five rows either side of him.it was real funny because there was an english woman right behind him and all she could say was what is that god awful smell about four times then she got up and how rude.well his wife made him leave the lounge cause she was so embarrased.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:44 PM
DDDJR

The worse smell while on a cruise had to be on The Sun Princess in April 2003. The sewage pumps were not working for 8 out of 10 days. The grand lobby was before the entrance to the dining room and seemed to have the highest concentration of raw sewage odor. We suffered for several days and on the formal night we were most upset. While waiting for our table we stood next to the fountain for photos. The floor of the fountain was decorated with small red cinder pebbles. The water fall had churned up air in many pebbles and they floated on the surface along with some foam bubbles. My wife went immediately to the Purser's desk and said, "I think the sewage smell is coming from the terds floating in the fountain." The Purser's eyes almost popped out of his head. When she came back to tell us proudly what she had discovered, we all had a good laugh!
DDDJr
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

we were on the sun april 04 and the sewer smell was still there.they said they had fixed it,well several locations throughout the ship there was a strong odor of sewer.

Old March 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM
ussoldier

I'm a U.S. Soldier in Iraq at the moment and looking up a good cruise to go on. Maybe it's just my frustration but please, cigar smell. How about the smell of a Iraq male, who, blew himself up while trying to make an IED with rocketfuel. Have you ever smelled burning flesh mixed with rocket fuel. It doesn't just fade away either. We were scrubbing his dead skin off and smoke was still coming up. So next time you complain about cigar smoke, their is worst!
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM
ussoldier

I'm sure your experience on the cruise was bad for you. And yes I'm not on a cruise smelling that. Though even as a non-smoker I would still take that smell even over the stank smell of Baghdad.
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Laurie Qualls

o.k ewwwwwww
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

You are right soldier, your example puts things into perspective as to how bad the things that we complain about really are.

It's kinda like complaining that your steak isn't done right when there are starving people in the world. When you think of the starving people, your steak doesn't seem all that bad anymore.........

banker
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:15 AM
rosster

No way is a cigar the worst. I sailed on a ship that had just gotten out of drydock, and they forgot to address the plumbing problems. The sewage backed-up and caused the foulest smelling stench I had ever encountered. This lasted several days and was
infortunately limited to the crew decks. So if a few passengers noticed upset crewmembers, they might ask how their quarters are, they may wish they didnt know.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Sascol

This is already mentioned above but the worst for me on almost every cruise is when we have to take a tender (or transport on any small boat) and the diesel fumes continually belch back into the path of the boat. That smell combined with the uncomfortably hot, enclosed area really bothers me. We love to cruise so I'll gladly deal w/ this a few times during the week!
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Paul Tracy

Decent cigar and pipe smoke usually smells nice. People who smoke cheap cigarettes are far worse offenders in my opinion. Nothing worse than GPC smoke except perhaps body odor.

Sometimes on European cruises the smell of body odor on warm days can be quite bad as many europeans seem to think they dont need deodorant.
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM
sailing gal

I remember going on one where a guy travelling alone died in his room on the floor we were on. There was a horrible odor from that room while the doors were open for cleaning and I can only imagine it was from his decomposing body. I just don't know how the room steward "Stewart" missed him.