Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old May 28th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default A few questions for DCL crew members!

Hello!! I'm leaving home on Tuesday to join the Disney Fantasy...couldn't be more excited!!
I have some questions, maybe you can help me:

- I'll arrive on Wednesday morning, and my contract signing is on Thursday...any suggestions of what I could do on that day?? (Because I won't have free access to Disney parks yet, right?)

- I read that if I take an unblocked cell phone, i can buy a sim card to make calls on the ship. How does this work? I mean, can i call home while i'm on the ship or only on ports? Is it better than buying a prepaid phone card? Similar to this: how does wifi work on the ship??

- Sandals: They are driving me crazy! here we're close to winter, so when i enter a shop and ask them if they have beach sandals, they almost laugh at me. Is there any place that I can buy them in Orlando?? (if they are not too pricy it would be great )

- I read that i need to bring a swimsuit for wet drill. Any swimsuit would be fine, or does it have to be a one piece? (i haven't worn one of those since I was 11, please don't tell me i'll have to rush and buy one!)

If you can answer any of this thing, you would really help me! I hope to see some of you aboard!
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Familiar Face

hi Flor, i am not on Disney but, except the first one, i can tell you since most of the lines are the same.

- There are sim cards on board like chili sim that do the work. But do that after you check the prices. Keep in mind that your cellphone may still have signal and able to use it while at sea but the connections are going through satellite and are more expensive than ports. I would suggest to get on board, see how often can you get outside for skype and if its not enough i use the ships telephone system. basically you buy time (10 or 20 usd). then you call where ever you want. For Greece, 20$ is 125 minutes, little more than 2 hours. more than enough for almost 1,5 week for me.

- Sandals. I saw sandals at Orlandos Mall. Since its a vacation start spot i don't think you will have any trouble. Almost in every single port (i assume you will be in Caribbean) there are available. But if Disney follows (and i believe it does) the others, you will not wear them so much. only at ports. no sandals and open shoes allowed on board.

- The wet drill, is basically the life raft demo. They will have an inflated raft inside the pool upside down, you jump in and you need to turn it over. so even a sort and a t shirt is fine. as a guy for my a sorts swim was fine. most of the girls wear the same, a boxer and a t shirt. but you will need a swim suit for Caribbean!

have fun on this new "adventure"
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Flor, you can pay for park entry if you like, but you'll get access for a day after traditions.
I'd get a taxi from pop century to Walmart. You should be able to get sandles there. I'd also get a pre paid t mobile sim from Walmart. You get 100 mins and unlimited data for $30 per month. When at sea, just use the ships wifi. It can get costly, so I used to make most of my calls to home whilst in a U.S. port. The ocean sim cards are being phased out slowly.

You'll prolly do wet dril on castaway, it's a fun morning! If they won't let you wear a bikini, just throw a t shirt on. You'll be in guest view whilst doing the drill, so keep that in mind.

Ps, I'd try and sleep as much as you can whilst in Orlando, you have no idea how tires you're going to be after your first week onboard. Have fun!!!!
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Tip: don't forget that St Thomas is a US port, you can use a US cell there just like if you are in Orlando, same prices.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much for all your advice!!!