Old February 8th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Anthem of the Seas in rough seas.

Off the coast of NC, it appears the Anthem of the Seas was buffeted with 30 foot waves by hurricane strong winds...and the pictures show some damage onboard such as ceilings giving way...but no serious injuries ...they listed 45 degrees it was said,and passengers were not allowed to leave their cabins. Passengers tied their closet doors shut. They will dock in Cape Canaveral

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 8th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Wow, that's getting a little more than they bargained for. Glad nobody got hurt, I'm sure those folks will be telling tales for years to come.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Default Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Off the coast of NC, it appears the Anthem of the Seas was buffeted with 30 foot waves by hurricane strong winds...and the pictures show some damage onboard such as ceilings giving way...but no serious injuries ...they listed 45 degrees it was said,and passengers were not allowed to leave their cabins. Passengers tied their closet doors shut. They will dock in Cape Canaveral

They are going back to Bayonne,NJ and are scheduled to arrive Wednesday at 6AM.
They are not going to Fla because of a storm brewing in Jacksonville.

We have a neighbor on board.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Yes, things have changed since the early morning news...Royal Caribbean is under the gun for sailing into this weather. I think they deserve to be under scrutiny.

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean's statement that, "while the weather was unpleasant, the ship remained seaworthy" was met with lots of passengers shaking their heads, at this understatement...what I don't understand is how the company can state, there was no warning...the forecast was in place, for a day or two, and for whatever reason they chose to ignore the warnings and place 6,000 people in peril.

Old February 9th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Royal Caribbean's statement that, "while the weather was unpleasant, the ship remained seaworthy" was met with lots of passengers shaking their heads, at this understatement...what I don't understand is how the company can state, there was no warning...the forecast was in place, for a day or two, and for whatever reason they chose to ignore the warnings and place 6,000 people in peril.
I have Read all the negative comments about the Captain and officers .However,all the live interviews on TV with passengers indicate that they were lauding the Captain .

When I get a chance to talk to my neighbor ,hopefully Thursday I will get her opinion.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Admiral

In October 1998, aboard Visuion of the Seas in the North Atlantic neat Iceland, we encountered much worse weather. The waves were at 40 feet four three days, and on the worst day, at 55 feet. On that night, the wind was at 80 mph. The bow on the ship would go into the wave and the screw at the stern would come completely out of the water. We didn't make much progress as the captain (Captain Bang) kept the ship pointed into the wind.
We cruised with him again later and talked to him about it. He said that in 40 years at sea in all kinds of ships, that was the second worse weather he had ever encountered. The passengers last week had it easy.
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Paul, these passengers may give you an argument about that statement.

Old February 10th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Admiral

I kinda think that we had a better captain.