Old November 16th, 2013, 06:17 PM
First Mate

Default Quantum of the Seas new tid-bits....

Quantum of the Seas using Virtual Reality - CruiseGuy.com - YouTube

Royal Caribbean has released a new video on how they are using virtual reality as a tool for engineers and designers to work on Quantum of the Seas throughout its construction process.

Quantum of the Seas progress photo: Blocks stacked
Posted: Thu, 2013-11-14
Royal Caribbean released a new photo of Quantum of the Seas progress today, showing a floor-level shot of the "blocks" that make up the ship being assembled together. On a basic level, cruise ships are assembled by putting together blocks of pre-built units to create the ship's super-structure.

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
RCCL Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
NCL Epic 3/8/15 7N
NCL Escape 11/09/15 2N
NCL Breakaway 11/27/16 14N
RCCL Harmony of the Seas 11/? 3N & 2/11/17 7N
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Familiar Face

We've lost almost all interest in Quantum once we saw the crummy itineraries offered.

The decision by RCI to sail from Bayonne is a major blunder from our vantage point - having to pay for an extra day to and from the Caribbean each way because of the home port location. Add in the overall extra high cost for cruises on this class ship...and the novelty seems to be waning...

We know of 22 people now who were strongly following and planning to go on Quantum - all of them have cancelled their interest.

Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - May 2015
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Funny because I'm from the North East and many of my friends are excited by the addition of first class ships to the NYC area!!! Both "cruisers" and non cruisers. The cost of flying to Florida and staying over night before the cruise is more than equal to the cost of a couple of extra days cruising. The ship has so much to offer that those two days can and will be used to explore the ship, relax and enjoy all the ship has to offer. And spend quality time with my girlfriend rather than running around airports and checking in and out of hotels. No worries about airline luggage restrictions or plane delays. Many people I know have not gone on cruises cuz they think it's a hassle to have to fly then cruise. Now A friend drops us off and we are on vacation! That quick!!!

As for the expense of cruising??? I just spent a week in Nashville and it was not cheap. (Had a blast) I think cruising offers the biggest bang for the buck!

I will say this I do not see the appeal of a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. The 11 & 12 day itineraries are awesome. IMO!

NCL Epic 3/8/15 7N
NCL Escape 11/09/15 2N
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too wonder how full the ship will be, by sailing from NJ?? If I ever have the extra time, I would love to one of these cruises....

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I guess it may be an issue for those who live I Florida, but for people like us who live in Southern Ontario, we can actually drive it in 6 hours. Nice change for us.

I just think it's unfair of those that live in the south to think all ships should sail from Florida. That's a little on the greedy side. They have dozens of ships sailing from Florida. They do have to learn to share the wealth.

I don't mind the itinerary - the longer ones do look more interesting but gee wiz guys - let the rest of us have a new ship for a change.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
The cost of flying to Florida and staying over night before the cruise is more than equal to the cost of a couple of extra days cruising.
That's simply not true. A pre-cruise hotel stay in the Bayonne area costs far more than in Ft. Lauderdale area. Two days on Quantum at sea costs more than 3 days of hotel in Florida.

More important...time at sea is actually nice in general...but there simply is too much time at sea for Quantum to get to and from the better destination locations.

There's no doubt those folks who happen to have some convenience in being located near Bayonne will see some positive light on this....but the rest of the world will see it as added cost, having to pack for BOTH cold and warm weather during peak cruise seasons (Bayonne's not exactly warm in February and March), and wasted time and cost spent getting to and from the Caribbean.

Putting Quantum in Bayonne was purely done because Norwegian chose to put their latest ship there for a year...and RCI wanted a ship there to compete. That's it.

Allure of the Seas (Western Mediterranean) - May 2015
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:01 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
That's simply not true. A pre-cruise hotel stay in the Bayonne area costs far more than in Ft. Lauderdale area. Two days on Quantum at sea costs more than 3 days of hotel in Florida.

There's no doubt those folks who happen to have some convenience in being located near Bayonne will see some positive light on this....
It's more than nights in a hotel! Airfare! Between 15 and 20 million people live within 100 miles of NYC. Those people, like me, don't need a hotel they can be dropped off by friends or just leave their car in Bayonne. That's ZERO nights in a hotel & no airfare or shuttle/taxi costs. It also means that instead of eating out we are eating for free on the ship.

The general math,
1 night hotel $175 + airfare $250 + meals $100 = $525
11 nights on Quantum $2,000 = $182 per night x 2 = $364

For argument sake we'll call it a wash. Which it's not. I would rather spend my time on a cruise ship than running around catching flights, taxis, checking in and out of a hotel. I'm already relaxing with my sweater on and a drink in my hand.

Quote:

More important...time at sea is actually nice in general...but there simply is too much time at sea for Quantum to get to and from the better destination locations.
Too much time at sea??? Is there such a thing??? I love spending time at sea!!!! No kids, no job & no worries!

Quote:
... but the rest of the world will see it as added cost, having to pack for BOTH cold and warm weather during peak cruise seasons (Bayonne's not exactly warm in February and March), and wasted time and cost spent getting to and from the Caribbean.
As I showed it's not an added cost for the 15 - 20 million of us who live in the area. As for warm clothes, we don't have to pack for an airplane. No cost for an added bag if needed. You have the clothes you wear on the ship and maybe one change. I'll hang my jacket in the closet.

Quote:
Putting Quantum in Bayonne was purely done because Norwegian chose to put their latest ship there for a year...and RCI wanted a ship there to compete. That's it
Duh! And Breakaway is doing very well.

And one last point. Not all cruises take place in the summer. For people coming from other parts NYC has a lot to offer guests before and after the cruise.

As somebody else said. God forbid should a nice new ship go somewhere besides Florida!!! Especially to NJ! EWWW!!!

NCL Epic 3/8/15 7N
NCL Escape 11/09/15 2N
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Admiral

They put a ship there to make money. End of story.
I don't see them lowballing Explorer, (which I have been watching closely, in hopes of the deal that never materialized...) in fact, it's quite the opposite compared to Florida pricing. I'm sailing Epic instead of Explorer due to reduced rates on the former.

Booked: Veendam - Montreal to Boston July 28, 2018
and Norwegian Bliss March 02, 2019

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!