Old February 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Passenger

Default help me plan a first cruise for me and my grandma?

Hi everybody !! I'm planning to give my 86 yo grandma a cruise this year (just me and her) and I need some direction on what kind of trip to plan considering her limited mobility. Neither one of us has been on a cruise before so I'm sure it'll be a great adventure no matter what.

Although she can stand and walk short distances without much trouble, she really needs to sit most of the time, and this is probably the biggest consideration for the entire trip. Because of this limitation our priorities are...

1) Good views from the ship as we won't be getting off for sight seeing
2) A ship made for easy access for wheel chairs
3) Good weather
4) A cruise in the Western hemisphere, excluding S. America
5) Something in the 3-6 day cruise range

Those are about it really. She's really not so much outgoing so I doubt she'd want to participate in too many of the planned boat activities.

From my research so far, depending on our budget, personally I'd like to get a room with a great sea side view.

Thats all for now. Thanks for your time, I'm all ears.

PS. Any links to cruise FAQs would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Where do you live ? I ask since getting to the port if it involves a flight can be taxing on an 86 year old.

Second get a handicapped room, this will allow a wheelchair.

Weather there are no guarantees any where.

Have a great cruise.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would say take a look at Royal Caribbean's cruises to Bermuda- 5 days - beautiful ships, Explorer or Enchantment of the Seas. Ask for the over 55 discount if one is available for your sailing.
Getting off the ship in a wheelchair is not difficult if the ship docks at a pier, just like using any other ramp...

Most of the entertainments do not involve any participation, you just show up and watch.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The 3-6 days will get you to the Caribbean, with a younger set onboard, which may not be the best for your Grandmother.Go to 7 days and your choices multiply. A balcony cabin, will allow her the ability to go outside and enjoy the views. Getting a handicappped cabin is really your best best, if it fits in your budget. All the ships make it easy im most cases to get around. The Caribbean will also get you the most consistent weather...Usually if it rains, it's for a short time.

If by chance you do get off the ship, in many ports there is shopping close by..keep in mind if San Juan is on your itinerary, the streets are cobblestone..although in this port there is really not much close to the pier, and the cobblestones are futher up in old town...

Finally, I would arrange for your own wheelchair rental, and keep the chair in your room at night. Since there is a limited amount of chairs onboard...doing it this way, you know she will always have hers. I know someone, who kept the chair outside the cabin door, and boom it was gone! I hope you come back and let us know what you have decided...
Your Grandmother has a very nice Grandson:-).

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Admiral

multi generation cruising is a growing trend, so you two will fit right in and have alot of fun...as well as getting tips from this board, you might touch base with a travel agent that specializes in assisting with multi generation cruises..
I would suspect that you might consider newer ships (built within the last 2-4 years) because there may be more accomodations that would fit with your grandmother's needs....
what are the types of activities that your grandmother has enjoyed thru out her life (i.e. when she was younger did she love singing, sewing, passionate book reader, a hobby) and see if there is a theme cruise that might match up and would also have fellow cruisers of like interest and age groups (i.e. there is a National Public Radio theme cruise that she might like)
also, check with her doctor to see what type of spa services might be available onboard that would help her
final suggestion...age is nothing but a number..you might find out that your grandmother likes to hang out more then you suspect and she may run you ragged (that's a good thing)...but also, it's a chance for the 2 of you to connect on a different level that only a cruise ship can offer, so plan on spending some dedicated time to watch a sunrise, sunset, if you go to the beach the 2 of you can sit in the sand so the water just touches your feet and i suspect she will tell you alot about her child (your parent) that you didn't know...make sure to make a big fuss over her on formal night and get great pictures
you did not indicate your age group but if you are single..grandmothers are great "babe magnets" so don't forget to plan some apart fun times for yourself and who knows, she may surprise you in that area also
you are very blessed to be able to have her well enough to travel and enjoy this experience..you will always cherish the memories and can show the pictures of the 2 of you to your children/grandchildren and maybe
your grandson will take you on a cruise when you are 89
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

SO you make any decision on what or where you might go? I would agree Trip and get A balcony cabin, will allow her the ability to go outside and enjoy the views. Getting a handicappped cabin is really your best best, if it fits in your budget.... It would be much easier for her to sit on the balcony and enjoy her self. Both of you will have a lot of fun.

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)

March 2012 Freedom of the sea's
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
multi generation cruising is a growing trend, so you two will fit right in and have alot of fun...as
I was pleasingly shocked on my very first visit to Rome to see that gaps between generations seem to be more of an American phenom than it is in a lot of places in Europe.

It is common place to see a 16 year old boy arm in arm with a frail, 90 year old grand father strolling down a street for a breath of fresh air. In all my years I don't know whether I've seen that kind of connection in my own country even once. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Until today. You've already gotten great advice OP. Just want to say how pleased I am at your itinerary.