Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Excursions for Explorer of the Seas help

Going on Explorer of the Seas on April 17th. I just booked my excursions and discovered there is really nothing to do - Royal Carribean wise, that we want to do in Puerto Rico and Domincan Republic. Don't want anything crazy. Perhaps a dinner cruise in Puerto Rico? Don't know, just open for suggestions. Just my husband and I traveling. The segway excursion was booked in PR!!!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
First Mate

we didn't make it to the Dom Rep so i cant help you there....maybe you can book the segway tour on your own?????

try www.segwaytourspr.com

maybe you can do it direct with them.....

i don't recall ever seeing any sort of dinner cruise in SJ.....how about just dinner someplace???

lots of restaurants.....small local ones....the Ex will dock in Old San Juan, so you an get off the ship, walk aross the street and wander around...or go over to the Sheraton and ask for recommendations.......

good luck
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

JDH....

We are on the same cruise, FROM PA.

Sorry about the Segways, our group of 45 picked them all up. I wanted to book directly to save money but they sold them to RCCL. Another cruiser Dave wanted the same thing. I've been talking with him.

They (segwaytours) also only have 10 per 2 hour tour and only offer 2 tours since we will only be in port for a few hours.

Several of our group is doing the walking tour.

In DR we are doing the Cayo Laventado beach escapes.

Check out the MEET ON BOARD section, Explorer of Seas for April 17th.
Add your info to it.
See you on board.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Fantasy June '02
Carnival Fantasy Oct '03
Carnival Valor April '07
RCI Explorer of Seas April '09
Carnival Freedom April '11
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'll be one of your 3,000+ shipmates. I just went to look at the excursions on RCI's web site but the excursion part of the site seems to be down right now. I can tell you What my wife and I will be doing. In PR we will probably just do a walking tour of historic Old San Juan although we have not booked it yet( I don't see a walking tour getting filled up). Everything else we have already booked.

In St. Thomas we will be taking the cable car to Paradise Point, it goes up to the top of the hills with beautiful, panoramic views of the Island. Looks great for picture taking! also in ST we will be going On scooters that go underwater!!

In DR we will be going horseback riding along the beach then get off the horses go hiking to a watering hole with cascading waterfall where you can go swimming. then hike back to the horses and ride back.

In Labedee we will be going on a zip line over the water and then just enjoy the beach and bbq that RC sets up(maybe book some last minute wave runners if available)

There are also many other tours and duty free shopping available(Great duty free shopping in ST!) Or you might enjoy relaxing on a beach somewhere.

See you aboard,
Dave
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Passenger

i hope you make it puerto rico. that is a favorite port of mine because of the coach store but last month there was a prop incident on the explorer and we didn't make it to san juan. i don't know if they have that fixed now or waiting for dry dock in january to make repairs.
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Familiar Face

I can't imagine RCI continuing to schedule a port they know they cannot get to in time. Whatever happens it is out of our control.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
First Mate

Just back from Explorer , definately go to Cayo Laventado beach in DR the most beautiful beach ever and the tendering process when not on an excursion can be long since the tenders only hold forty people. Not a port if you have anyone in your group in a wheelchair or scooter since they cannot get on the tenders. The port in Puerto Rice is located only a few minutes walk from old town and one of the old forts unless you want to go golfing or to a beach I would just go it alone and get a taxi if you want to go somewhere else, depends on the amount of time allowed for the port, we had a weird time frame in San Juan (arrived at 10:30p.m. and left 11:30a.m. next day) The port times were cut short by an hour at the other ports, a letter in our stateroom said that the ship is moving at a reduced speed (20 knots).
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007