Old March 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal Night?

I'm wondering are these mandatory? My wife, daughter and I are pretty casual normally and we don't plan on purchasing formal wear for one or two evenings on a cruise. If you don't participate whats the dissadvantage?

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Formal Night?

I personally love formal night but have never worn anything more elegant than a cocktail dress, sometimes just a dressy suit. It's fun to see everyone dressed up and it's usually the best food of the cruise, nice festive ambiance.

To me, it doesn't matter that much what people wear, if they make the effort to wear something dressy, the best they have, I think that's good. Just no shorts (except young boys), t-shirts, flip-flops, etc. You shouldn't miss it if you feel like you want to go, just because you don't have a tux or formal.

Margie
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks Margie

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Maggie's Mom

I agree with Margie. On each of the cruises we've been on, there are people not dressed to the 9's on formal night. The man is suppose to wear a coat and tie, but I think he can get away with just a button-up shirt and tie and the women can wear a pants suit or church-type dress if they want. Margie is correct in stating the dinner is best on formal nights, but there is always the alternate buffet provided in the Windjammer. They should have similar food, just not the lobster you may otherwise recieve. It's your vacation...enjoy it the way you want!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:05 AM
sandyhill

I personally love formal night also. We used the oppurtunity to get a family portrait which was nice. We did encouner several people who chose to eat at the Windjammer cafe on those nights. I personally won't miss the dining room on formal nights.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Captain

I've always worn a suit on formal nights, but a month ago I bought a tuxedo and will be wearing that from now on. If I'm going to wear a suit, why NOT a tux? Also, I got the tux at a very good price.

My biggest problem is with the shoes. Since I retired, I usually wear sneakers all the time. Having to put on dress shoes is a pain in the "foot".