Old March 5th, 2004, 10:34 PM
lorraines

Default cave tubing in belize

does any one know how bad a walk it is to the cave tubing area
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: cave tubing in belize

I had heard while we were there, it was about 1/2 hr. We did a different excursion, and wished we had done the cave tubing. Looked like a lot of fun!
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Davidnnc

The walk to the cave tubing is not bad. It is a long walk though, about 30-40 minutes over rocky paths. It is level walking, but rocky. You need to be sure to take those rubber water shoes or tennis shoes that you do not mind getting wet, you will get them wet, you have to cross a river. It is well worth it, it is a lot of fun. Truth is the bus ride is worse than the walk! Very long ride! Have fun.
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Zinfandelo

I took this excusion on 3/4/04. The walk is not bad. Get some of those $5.00 water shoes from Wal-mart.

Truthfully, I think the walk from the bus to the staging area was the most taxing. It is a walk up a gravel road that starts out pretty steep. But it is a pretty short walk so don't get put off by it.

When you reach the staging area there is a place to store your stuff and some bathrooms. From here you pick up your inner tube and life vests and start down a trail to the river, there you see the river and the mouth of a cave ... but this is the area where the tube ride ENDS. At this point the guide gives some instructions and hands out the headlamps.

You then cross the river (less than knee deep) and go up a set of steps (kind of steep) but from there you are on the trail. It is wide and easy to walk.

The trickest part is actually getting into the river. At the end of the trail you walk over some rocks and hand your tube DOWN to the guide who is in the water. He holds it under you as you hang on to a short lengh of rope that you use to assist your desent into your tube. This sounds trickier than it is, but once you are in your tube it is fun to watch the others lower themselves into their tubes.

A word of advice: "Butts up" means way up. I didn't get my rear up high enough and still have the bruise to prove it!

This is an awesome excursion. I highly recomend it. Yes, it is a long bus ride along with the walk (but I enjoyed seeing the countryside) but you will forget all about that when you enter the cave. It is truly a natural wonder. I am a 40+ woman and went with my friend who is a 50+ woman and a NON swimmer and we both had an excellent time. Our guides name was Clarence and he was excellent.
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Admiral

I don't recommend water shoes, not enough support. Old sneakers work better. There is an uphill climb after you first cross the river, mostly level. We had fairly swift moving water- and the river bottom is rocky, so better foot support is beneficial. I went independent with Reggie through 2 cave systems.