Old August 10th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce
Default Why Should I Switch to Princess?

I am considering a variety of cruises. Why should I switch to Princess from Holland America? All opinions appreciated.
Old August 10th, 2003, 08:11 PM
uncmarts

Default Re: Why Should I Switch to Princess?

You might want to switch, if for no other reason that being able to compare one cruise line against another for future vacations.

You just may find strengths and weaknesses between the two. Both HA and Princess are quality crusie lines.
Old August 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Admiral

just to try something different. I don't think you will be dissapointed by either cruise line. At this point i would say to pick the cruise that goes to the ports you want.
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Princess ships are larger, with more bells and whistles. We also like the Personal Choice dining option a lot.

Harry
Old August 11th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I love the 24 hour HOrizon Court that Princess offers, and also their fresh water pools. Food is usually very good as well as service, entertainment is OK.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2003, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Depends on your demographic. If you are looking for something new because you are unhappy with HA product, by all means. If you are consistently happy on HA, no reason to switch. We were loyal to RCL until the Grand Princess came out. We decided to try it because we thought Princess was comporable or better than RCL by reputation. Turned out to be a mistake. We prefer RCL. It would take a bad experience or strong enticement to get us to try another line again.

Old August 13th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Yeoman

From what I understand, Princess is a little less formal than HAL and both the passengers and crew are a little friendlier.. We love Princess, but plan to try out HAL soon. We , too, love Personal Choice Dining.
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Kathy & Dave

You shouldn't feel like you are "switching" - just trying other options. Our first cruise was on the NCL Sky. We almost cancelled, due to all the negative things we read, but decided to judge for ourselves. It was awesome!!! We booked another cruise while onboard and the only reason we cancelled it was because I saw pics of the Golden Princess and loved the way it looked. We've been on the Golden, Grand, Coral and will be on the Golden in October and the Sun in March.

Not that we wouldn't try another cruiseline - but some of the things that make us keep booking Princess:

Ships are very nice
Food/Crew great
Booking onboard = $100/pp deposit - ties up less on my credit card
Freshwater pools
Pools/Hot tubs open 24/7
Personal Choice Dining
Self-serve laundromat (especially handy on 10 day cruise)

Our game plan is to book something different, maybe RCCL or Carnival in the fall of 2004. Who says you have to stick with one line? Why not try them all???

Kathy
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Kathy and Mike

Default Re: Re: Why Should I Switch to Princess?

I love Princess and think you that if they offer an itinerary that you like, when you can go, and at a price you like then you should go for it. I like trying different lines. We almost didn't cruise on NCL because of all the bad reviews that we read (many people believe that these bad reviews are done by "plants" that to discourage others from that particular line. Try them for yourself. We are in our mid forties now and haven't yet chosen to sail on either Holland America (cause we are too young) and Carnival (cause we are too old). One day there will be an unbeatable deal or a new itinerary or something else that comes up and we'll go on those lines. Good luck.

Kathy
Old August 18th, 2003, 09:31 PM
slotl

We love BOTH HAL and Princess. You cannot go wrong on either cruiseline. My husband and I have been on over 30 cruises on some ships that no longer exist. Our current preference is:
1. HAL
2. Princess
3. RCCL

We will NOT go on NCL or Carnival again.

I find the difference in the cruise lines to be passenger density and traveling with children. If I am traveling with children RCCL is my first choice.

Passenger density is the number of passengers to the size of the ship. I find HAL to have the most room, Princess is second, and RCCL is third. For example, a 70,000 ton HAL ship may hold (just an example) 1,200 passenger, Princess 1,400 and RCCL 1,600. I have never felt crowded in an RCCL ship, but density does have a lot to do with standing in lines, wait for tenders, etc.

We just got off the Regal Princess for a 10 day Baltic cruise and have signed up for Dec 6th on the Golden to the Carribbean.

Bottom line, between HAL and Princess, go for the cruise which has the ports you want to visit.

You will have a great time no matter which you choose.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Joyce,

Prior to last April, my answer would have been the same as my answer to your question on the Celebrity board as to why one should switch to Celebrity -- it was owned by a company that cared deeply about its passengers and crews and that took care of its passengers because it wanted their repeat business.

Alas, the shareholders of P&O Princess Cruises Plc. voted to merge operations with Carnival Corporation during a special general meeting at the end of March, 2003 -- whereupon Princess Cruises passed into the control of a company that does cares only about fattening the bottom line on the next financial report. Carnival Corporation has had a grossly disproportionate preponderance of severe incidents, many of which have been life-threatening and nearly all of which were entirely preventable with proper attention to safety, security, and maintenance of the company's vessels, that has lasted for several years and that has hit all of the company's cruise units. After thirteen cruises with Princess, this development has motivated me to go elsewhere. I'm giving Celebrity Cruises a try, and I also may try Royal Caribbean International. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. owns both of these lines, which consistently garner the top scores for their respective segments of the market in competitive reviews.

Norm.
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Ernie

Once you try Princess you will find it hard to go back to HAL. The food is the main thing. HAL's food is very good, but uneven. Princess has always excelled in the food department and will not fail to please you. They even have a "heart healthy" section on every menu if you are feeling guilty. Bear in mind that Princess and Holland America are both owned by Carnival but operate independently. Try Princess, I will be on the Oct 22 RT Ft. Lauderdale to Eastern Caribbean this fall. See you there???
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have you already SAILED on Holland America???? What DIDN'T you like??? WHY do you want to switch? Perhaps if you told us what you DIDN'T like, we could better address your concerns........
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:26 AM
SF Sharon

"Once you try Princess you will find it hard to go back to HAL."

As a past passenger of both lines, with recent cruises on both , I heartily disagree. We sailed on the Star Princess up the coast in May and on the Veendam in August on HAL (balcony cabins both times, but a much bigger cabin on HAL).

There are things I like about Princess and things I like about HAL. The food we experienced on HAL's Veendam (we just got off the ship August 10th) was generally much better than what we had on the Star Princess in May, with the exception of the salads, and perhaps some of the desserts. We had Caesar salad whenever we wanted on Princess, but when I wanted a Caesar salad on HAL, I was told "Caesar salad is tomorrow night." The lobster on HAL was significantly better (and a bmore generous portion) than the pitiful stuff we got (and paid extra for) in Sabatini's when we got their mixed seafood grill. I was surprised at this turnaround in favor of HAL's food, as years ago the HAL cuisine was blander. HAL's captain, James Russell-Dunford, was an absolute delight. The staff was great, especially in the dining room. It was a real pleasure to see them each evening.

The Star Princess had more smoky areas and stronger eye-burning smoke than HAL. There were about a gazillion more people on board staking out deck chairs on the Star and deck chairs and quiet space were easy to find on the Veendam. I don't like the multi-generational family emphasis on the newer Princess ships, along with all the crowding that occurs. I love the newness of the Star itself and her Vista Lounge. I prefer the separate food stations on the Star to the long cafeteria-like lines of the Lido.

The lack of deck chairs on the Promenade deck of Princess ships is a very serious downside to me, and is one of the main reasons (together with the lack of deck space and deck chairs and observation areas and those smoky areas) that we cancelled our Mediterranean and Alaska cruises with Princess and went with HAL instead. I don't regret this decision for a minute. Reports from the Med cruise we were to sail on confirmed my fears that the ship would be overrun with children and groups. It was. In Princess' favor, I felt I could eat off the floor anywhere on the Star , she was that clean. This cleanliness is reflected in its high CDC score.

I want very much to have a relaxing cruise with Princess again. Heck, I'd like to be able to use all those free minutes that Platinum past passengers get, but I don't want to have to schedule a cruise that is either longer or not during peak summer season in order to avoid crowds.

If Princess decides to offer an adults-only sailing like Celebrity's Escape, we'll be the first to sign up, if the price, itinerary, time of year and port of departure appeals to us.
(PEAK season Alaska would certainly entice us.)
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:57 PM
stanley starr

I have to agree with Sharon. We just returned last nite on the Star and we were a bit disappointed in some things. The TEX/MEX Tequilas is now Stirling Steak House for the same $8 charge but with no free drink. Sabitini raised the price from $15 to $20 and we did not go in. For that price i can go to an Italian resturant at home. The Horizon food court is a disaster for breakfast and lunch. Try to find a table without sitting on the aft deck outside. Seems like all 2600 people want to eat at the same time. The setup was laid out stupidly with lines feeding in from different diections. But at nite if you did not want the dining room, you had the place to yourself. We weren't pleased with the main dining food as it appears the chefs like to cook with a lot of creams and spices. Glad we had personal choice.
Our mini suite on Dolphin deck was nice and we loved the balcony.
Service all over the ship was excellent but it seems all the ships make the employees beg you to name them on the appreciation cards. This becomes annoying after awhile.
I was surprised that disembarkation went so smoothly since i have read other posts that complained about this.
Overall the trip was pleasant.
STAN
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Why Should I Switch to Princess?

Kathy,
Your not to old to sail on Carnival.We our both in our mid 40's.Your as old as you feel girl ! The wife and I just got off the Conquest in August.This was our 25'th wedding anv. cruise.We had a great time and the service was great. Give one a try.

Happy Cruising to all;
David
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Ernie

Norm: True, Princess is now under the umbrella of Carnival Corp. but all the Carnival divisions , HAL, Windstar, Costa, Cunard, Windstar, Seaborn, etc.. & Princess are independently operated. As a travel agent, I am in touch with all the cruise lines and have found out that Carnival endorsed Princess' idea to add new ships in the future and this includes a 180,000 gross ton monster that will dwarf Cunards QM II. It seems that they are organizing all their lines so that the world is covered by their ships. They will are using Princess as an upscale division over HAL and under Seaborne. ALaska is owned by Princess and the Caribbean is RCCL and Carnival. Europe is Costa, some HAL and other divisions of Princess (Swan Hellenic, etc.) I have sailed on many lines, as I said I am a travel agent, and I prefer Princess because of what they offer and you can't beat their ships.I tell my clients to pick a trip, pick a cruise line and have a good time. That is what I tell my clients. So far, only the ones I book on Princess don't come back to complain to me about the cruise. NCL cruisers complain the most, second is HAL, then maybe RCCL. Ernie - Red Hill Travel, Marin County, CA.
Old September 7th, 2003, 01:11 PM
bri_ten

hi Joyce,
if i am not mistaken,you never cruise before.
all depends of your budget......
if it's not a problem,you will love SEABOURN, SILVERSEA,CRYSTAL.......
if you have to count a little, HAL , PRINCESS, ETC could be great......
it 's all about what you expect, and what you want to pay
so i think ,before asking anyone,ask yourself:.........WANT DO I WANT?
i have been cruising on differents ships ,always have fun........
hope i didn't make too many mistakes.........i don't speak english very often, and you are lucky, ....................... you can't listen to my accent...............................
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Martin Jacobs

Norm,

Ever tried Crystal? We are taking the Pacific Princess next May on a 24-day Pacific cruise, but Crystal has been by far and away the best cruise line we've ever been on.

Martin
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM
bri-ten

Default Re: Re: Re: Why Should I Switch to Princess?

i have sailed twice with Crystal, 3 times withPrincess,once with HAL, and once on Norway,will be on the Regatta from 25 th of october to 24 of november,hope it will be the best...........HEVE A GOOD TRIP

SYMPHONY
SUN PRINCESS
CROWN PRINCESS
STAR PRINCESS
STATENDAM
Old September 11th, 2003, 02:01 PM
bri-ten

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Should I Switch to Princess?

i make some mistakes, it was Golden princess and not the Crown.....