Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Old August 12th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Admiral

As this conversation has shifted to a debate over firearms, I guess I’ll add my thoughts, for better or worse…..

I am a firearms owner. I own a Browning Hi-Power model M-1935 9mm semi-automatic handgun, John M. Browning’s last pistol design. I, on occasion, fire at non-living targets for practice and proficiency. I have 2 13-round magazines with which this particular firearm came with.

So, what to do with our nation’s current firearms dilemma?

I really do not know…….

How’s that for an unequivocal answer?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that sometimes all that stands between society and an oppressive government is an armed populace.

Do I really believe that the United States Federal government intends now, or ever, to subjugate its citizens by armed force? Of course not.

On the other hand, 110,000 United States citizens were rounded up, and forced into concentration camps along the West coast beginning in 1942……..

Do I believe that certain "assault-style" semi-automatic rifles have a place in hunting? Not particularly. The deer and elk hunters I know, use .270, 7mm, or .300 Winchester Mag bolt-action rifles with scopes, not .223-caliber AR-15, M-16, M-4 rifles, or .308-caliber, 30-round magazine Kalishnikov rifles.

Years ago, bank uniformed security guards carried service revolvers as a deterrent to bank robbers. Not so any longer. The insurance cost of gun-play in the branches was greater than the take. In the last 15 years, I have never seen an armed security guard in a bank, here in Portland, Oregon. That’s got to mean something.

The British police force (Bobbies), don’t carry firearms any longer, and firearm-related violence in the U.K. is lower than in the U.S. That’s got to mean something too, right?

If someone breaks into my house and means to do me or my family violence, that person is going to be met with the business end of my Browning. And what does that say about me? That my 2nd Amendment rights are more important than someone else’s life? That it may be necessary to end someone’s life to protect mine and my family’s?

The United States has the World’s highest rate of firearms ownership. It also has the World’s highest rate of firearms violence. Is there a correlation there? I must conclude that there is……

So what’s the answer to all of this?

I really do not know………

And I think that’s the crux of the issue. If there were an easy answer to all of this, even our dysfunctional Congress would have figured it out….

Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

On tv, I see the impassive face of James Holmes, the alleged mass murderer in Aurora, Colo.. The tv coverage in the court shows a person who seems to be in a catatonic state. He sits and blinks and doesn't seem to react to what is happening. I was wondering if this is an act which he conceived while in a Ph.D. program in neuroscience at the University of Colorado. Did he act like this before the alledged shootings. If he did, wouldn't the professionals have seen it and tried to get him help? There are a lot of questions that I hope the trial will answer.