Old April 12th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default Longtime cruiser First time Freestyle Cruise.

So first off glad to be back on the boards its been a hot minute since I've been on here. Secondly here's my thing I have done more than my fair share of cruises so generally know what to expect. But I have always enjoyed the set dinning times because it allowed one a fixed time in which I know I needed to be ready for dinner. Two I enjoyed getting to know my table mates through out the cruise and usually make good friends with. I still keep up with people I meet on my first cruise. That out of the way this is the first time I do not know what to expect from a cruise. I have head that NCL is very different from Carnival or even Royal. I am going as a part of a large group for my moms retirement. We are going on the Pearl to Alaska. Which should be the trip of a life time. The cruise isn't till 2016 so I have time to plan but what advice would anyone have on just what type of cruise I can expect. Also I know the ship will be in Vancouver the next day what do you think the chances are that we can pay a little something and get the ride over as we are planning to go to BC any way. One last thing what should I expect from a cruise to Alaska. Thanks for reading my story.

Adam
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToAdam12 View Post
So first off glad to be back on the boards its been a hot minute since I've been on here. Secondly here's my thing I have done more than my fair share of cruises so generally know what to expect. But I have always enjoyed the set dinning times because it allowed one a fixed time in which I know I needed to be ready for dinner. Two I enjoyed getting to know my table mates through out the cruise and usually make good friends with. I still keep up with people I meet on my first cruise. That out of the way this is the first time I do not know what to expect from a cruise. I have head that NCL is very different from Carnival or even Royal. I am going as a part of a large group for my moms retirement. We are going on the Pearl to Alaska. Which should be the trip of a life time. The cruise isn't till 2016 so I have time to plan but what advice would anyone have on just what type of cruise I can expect. Also I know the ship will be in Vancouver the next day what do you think the chances are that we can pay a little something and get the ride over as we are planning to go to BC any way. One last thing what should I expect from a cruise to Alaska. Thanks for reading my story.
Adam

We did the Sun out of Vancouver to Alaska and it was one of the top two vacations we have ever had. We have been on the Pearl but it was for a Caribbean cruise, and those are entirely different animals compared to an Alaskan itinerary. I think you will find, as most do, that your focus is out the windows or over the rails rather than on what is going on in the ship. Probably every day is a port day and they are long, very active days. It will be daylight until very late. We found we had no interest in shows, although NCl has excellent entertainment. We were watching the scenery until dark, squeezing in a bite to eat and falling exhausted into bed to get ready for the next non stop day.

I did not get what your question concerning Vancouver is. Are you talking about an excursion over to Victoria? We did tour there, but it was after our Alaska cruise and we took the fast ferry over from Seattle. Do you leave out of Seattle? We chose a ship out of Vancouver as it is a gorgeous city with much to see and do, and we preferred the route through the Inside Passage.

We love Freestyle Dining. Never travelled with a large group, but the reports I see are that seating for groups is easy, and if you prefer, I believe you can reserve your time between certain hours. Since it is a family group will you mostly be dining together? In that case Freestyle should not impact you much, your table will be full. You can always invite others to join your table if there is room. A great way to meet people is to join the Roll Calls for your cruise and attend the Meet and Mingle on the ship. You will know lots of people before the cruise even starts.

If I can help answer any questions about NCL or Alaska, let me know.
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

We are leaving out of Seattle but the pearl is repositioning to Vancouver the next day. We also have a stop every day that were on the ship too. It sounds like it's going to be a memorable trip. What time of year did you go we are going in September. To me it sounds like it's going to be very cold. And I think the sunsets early at that time no?
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Alaska will be a little chilly at night. Daytime it should be in low 60's. As with anything; those temps could change. The sun will go down fairly early maybe 4:30pm.. I am sailing NCL for first time on Jade (Jewel class also), will give u more feedback about freestyle dining. I am looking forward to it. Show up when I want; and don't have to worry about dressing up or being late for dinner.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
Alaska will be a little chilly at night. Daytime it should be in low 60's. As with anything; those temps could change. The sun will go down fairly early maybe 4:30pm.. I am sailing NCL for first time on Jade (Jewel class also), will give u more feedback about freestyle dining. I am looking forward to it. Show up when I want; and don't have to worry about dressing up or being late for dinner.
Thank you. It's not like I'm stressing about. But I was wondering. But let me know. I am very excited about going to the Northwest.
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToAdam12 View Post
We are leaving out of Seattle but the pearl is repositioning to Vancouver the next day. We also have a stop every day that were on the ship too. It sounds like it's going to be a memorable trip. What time of year did you go we are going in September. To me it sounds like it's going to be very cold. And I think the sunsets early at that time no?
So you mean you wonder what the chances are of you remaining on the ship for one extra day post disembarkation in Seattle for a ride over to Vancouver? I would think the chances are totally nil, unless they advertise an 8 day cruise to include it. We took the Amtrack train from Seattle to Vancouver. It hugs the water most of the way and I could not count all the Eagles we saw along the shore. Vary scenic and relaxing.

Our cruise was mid May, early in the season for Alaska. We loved seeing the snow on the mountain tops. We had excellent weather, not much rain. Your season is usually wetter as a rule, but it should be warmer than the spring was for us, but we got by with sweatshirts, light jackets or windbreakers most of the time. Be prepared for any kind of weather. Golden Rule for Alaska is layering and a light weight waterproof shell. Carry a nylon back pack or sports sack to hold what you don't need at the moment. I think the salmon will be running in September. That will be fun in the ports with the stream running right up through town with boardwalks right on the stream ( my mind just went blank on the name.) And the fish will attract lots of other wildlife, lucky you.

I would hate it getting dark early, but you can't have everything. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
So you mean you wonder what the chances are of you remaining on the ship for one extra day post disembarkation in Seattle for a ride over to Vancouver? I would think the chances are totally nil, unless they advertise an 8 day cruise to include it. We took the Amtrack train from Seattle to Vancouver. It hugs the water most of the way and I could not count all the Eagles we saw along the shore. Vary scenic and relaxing.
It's reposition I know over here I live in Miami. I can travel with the cruise when they are going from one port to another. For a fee of corse. I have never been on NCL but I will call them to find out the information.