Old May 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Default Port Inspections

Does anyone know if the security on each ship is more lax when re-boarding in destination ports (as opposed to the initial embarkation)? I'm referring mostly to alcohol smuggling.... Just a general question- not considering doing it!

James Ross
***edited to remove commercial link***
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Default Port Inspections

I have seen alcohol purchased in port taken and returned at the end of the cruise. I have also heard stories of people doing it with no problem.

I would expect it to be taken and held.
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Carnival Valor 15
Allure of the Seas 16
Equinox 17
Equinox 17
Caribe Princess 17
Equinox 18
MSC Seaside 18
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Default Port Inspections

I have seen alcohol purchased in port taken and returned at the end of the cruise. I have also heard stories of people doing it with no problem.

I would expect it to be taken and held.
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Carnival Valor 15
Allure of the Seas 16
Equinox 17
Equinox 17
Caribe Princess 17
Equinox 18
MSC Seaside 18
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your bags will be X-rayed each time you leave the ship upon your return... they are not just screening for booze remember, they are also looking for weapons and other things they do not want on the ship... you are safer if you buy wine and don't hide it (just bring it in the bag you bought it in) in the first port and see what happens.
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Captain

In every port, every cruise, I always see a table with confiscated liquor collected at the gangway.

I am sure some people are better sneaks than others and get away with bringing liquor aboard but some also get caught.

How embarrassing!
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Default Don't Spoil Your Trip!

Some passengers will no doubt spoil their trip by trying to take hidden liquor abaord a ship. It's not worth it. Purchase the liquor, leave it in the open as you reboard the ship and the crew will label the bottle(s) and return them to you at the end of the cruise. Just know there are limits more than likely in the country where you are from and you will have to go through customs upon return home. The port officals are experts at knowing what passengers are doing or what pasengers "are up to". Someone may brag about a risk they took however many more are caught doing execatly the same thing. Your wonderful cruise can be ruined by one such crazy venture. So what if you have to pay a dollar tax upon return. Isn't that worth what can turn into a very bad situtation? Have a great cruise!
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just FYI, If you are caught smuggling something into the states such as over limit booze or cigarettes, your bags will be inspected EVERY time you enter the country for the next five years.

I know someone that this happened to on a return trip from Russia and boy did he regret it... sometimes he was held up for hours while they searched his bags. (and he traveled back and forth 6-7 times a year) He could never order a car or ask his family to pick him up from the airport until he was cleared. Luckily he lived in NYC so connections were not necessary.

BTW, the table with alcohol is not necessarily just for people who are caught smuggling alcohol but also those who have purchased it to take home... I would certainly want to pick a bottle to take home if I were in Jamaica or Guatemala... or how about Curacao??? Being aware of the 'drop off' policy just makes you prepared to give them the bottles and look forward to getting them while you are packing up.