Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:53 PM
First Mate

Default Our pets

Many of us have loved ones we leave behind each time we travel... our dear pets. Tell us about your pet and how they handle their Dads or Moms being away.

My dog's name is Abby. She is a 4 year old walker hound mix that we rescued from the Humane Society two years ago. She is an absolute sweetheard and wants NOTHING more than to be with us at all times - sleeping that is. She sleeps everywhere... in the car, at Mom's, it doesn't matter as long as she is with us.

We would't trade her for the world. An around-the-world cruise, just maybe! <g>

Vacation is very difficult on her so we try to make the best of it by taking all of her favorite things to the sitters while we are gone and be sure to bring back somehing brand new for her when we return.

Perhaps one day, we can take them along.

Glenn

Post Edited (05-20-04 19:13)
NCL Sun x 2, Monarch OTS, Oasis OTS, Independence OTS, Navigator OTS, Mariner OTS x 2, Sovereign OTS, CCL Legend, CCL Fascination x 2, CCL Glory, CCL Celebration, CCL Miracle x 2, CCL Pride, CCL Fantasy, CCL Freedom, CCL Breeze x 2, CCL Liberty, CCL Imagination, Emerald Princess
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Our pets

Glenn,

What a great post. Of course, our baby is in my signature -- Andy, an 8 pound Maltese.

He *knows* when we are leaving and gets very pouty as soon as he sees the suitcases. Luckily, Art's sister and boyfriend come and stay with him at the house, so he gets to stay in familar surroundings.

I have to admit that after 4-5 days at sea, I am wishing for him to be with us -- he sleeps with me, so it's odd not to wake up with him on the pillow or snuggled with me under the covers.

I say it over and over, I never thought I could love a dog so much. In fact, that word is banished -- he's just the baby.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

I often wish my baby, (10-year-old Jack Russell Terrorist) Reba where with me on vacation, but I have been lucky and never had to board her. My best friend here in Atlanta love her like she was her own, and she and her husband get insulted if Reba doesn’t get to come to camp. If my friends can’t keep her (like we are all going out of town) I will take Reba to my parents in South Georgia, 4 hours away and fly out of Jacksonville, or if it is a Florida cruise, keep driving to Canaveral, Lauderdale, Miami and maybe soon Jacksonville.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM
mike (and jon)

Default Re: Re: Our pets

we have a little (only 3 pounds) "kitty" (birman) who thinks she's a puppy. not the independent cat, she's ALWAYS with us in the house, and gets "separation anxiety" when we leave, had friends say she cries all the time, won't eat, etc(that was when we had someone just come in and feed her, etc.). so we have to import house sitters to stay 24/7 so she doesn't fret too much, and likes the guys that stay so that's been a relief.
have a great cruise line story (wish it were true) in that on an rccl ship inspection i found a business card for one of the top rccl managers in miami. as we are already good friends with the district sales manager for rccl and celebrity, i wrote on the back of the card to allow our "seeing-eye" cat go on any rccl or celebrity cruise and "signed it" with his name, just like they allow seeing-eye dogs. well when i gave that to the district sales manager his eyes opened as wide as quarters and he said "omg, i don't believe you got him to give that open-door permission, guess we'll have to make arrangements" then of course i had to tell him it was a spoof. so it was fun while it lasted. maybe...one of these days lol.....mike
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Art and I joke that we are gonna get Andy a full set of cruising attire -- from a captains hat, to a tux for formal night. In fact, bought him a tux at this great pet store in Ensenada, but it was too tight. Gotta book another 4-nighter so I can return it.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Eric & Martin

hehehehe

love all of your stories ...they make me laugh .

As for us we always had lots of trouble leaving Thelma behind and felt guilty as we know how much she loved the water and would of enjoy herself at all the nice beaches we have visited. Actually we had my BF (Martin) mom take care of thelma when we went away but they always said that she was never the same when we were away :-)

we miss here lots and will love her for ever

ERIC & MARTIN
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Admiral

You know, our babies know how much we love 'em -- keep that in your heart.

Big hug to you guys,

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Admiral

"Knock-Knock" is a 11 pound smooth red miniature dachshund. He doesn't love going to "The Spa" but seems to endure the burden pretty well. We take him to our vet's because if he were to take ill, he would have the best of care.

Our vet and his techs adore him and treat him like the prince that he is.

Our cockateel, "Mijo" is usually taken care of by our friend Le. She comes to our house each day to feed and water him. He and she have a short but meaningful conversations in a combination of English and Spanish. Then she goes home.

Upon our return, he is always glad to see us, and the first thing he says whenever we walk in the door is "Good Boy!" And trust me he says it with declaration and consternation.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Thanks for sharing guys. Sorry to hear about your loss E&M, I know it's difficult. I’ve been through that many times and each time I say never again. But, we know how that goes … one look, a few “kisses” and we are in love all over again.

It seems as though more people are getting pets and they are welcome more places than ever. Here in Jacksonville, we’ve had 4-5 dog parks open in the last year or so. A couple weeks ago in Toronto, I even found a vending machine for dog treats! I could not believe it. I picked up some treats for Abs at one of the pet bakeries there. Not sure if we have one here or not.

Take care!

Glenn

NCL Sun x 2, Monarch OTS, Oasis OTS, Independence OTS, Navigator OTS, Mariner OTS x 2, Sovereign OTS, CCL Legend, CCL Fascination x 2, CCL Glory, CCL Celebration, CCL Miracle x 2, CCL Pride, CCL Fantasy, CCL Freedom, CCL Breeze x 2, CCL Liberty, CCL Imagination, Emerald Princess
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:10 PM
adam childs

when we travel there is a great "doggie spa" that we take our "son" to they get to watch tv during the day ---which since that is what he hears all day its comforting to him. Also they have doggie day care during the day so he gets to run and play with the other dogs during the day. They also let us bring him a blanket for his bed which we put yunder the sheet in our bed for a week before hand so that it smells like us ---this seems to help too. My neice also visits him and walks him while he is there and that helps him too.

the name of the kennel is meyers kennel --- and it is in Rockford, Illinois
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:15 AM
MarkFL

Default Re: Re: Our pets

Morning Glenn

Are you in Jax Florida .. my BF and I just got back from a 7 night cruise to Alaska .. I live in Mandarin and he is south of here .. later
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:20 PM
First Mate

Hello, Mark. Yes, I'm in Jacksonville .. near FCCJ Kent. Hope you guys had a great vacation. Alaska is on my list!