CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Disembarkment flight time. 9:15 am? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413241)

Jenteacher December 17th, 2017 12:03 AM

Disembarkment flight time. 9:15 am?

Hi! We plan to carry our own luggage off royal Caribbean and we arrive at 5:30 am Can we make a 9:15 am flight if we are ready to get off when they let us? Next flight isn't until 2 pm
I'm so type A but don't want to sit in airport all day
thanks!!

Mike M December 17th, 2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenteacher (Post 1550160)
Hi! We plan to carry our own luggage off royal Caribbean and we arrive at 5:30 am Can we make a 9:15 am flight if we are ready to get off when they let us? Next flight isn't until 2 pm
I'm so type A but don't want to sit in airport all day
thanks!!

I would ask you: "Which airport?" but a 9:15 a.m. flight out of any airport is too early. Perhaps 10:30 a.m. would be "possible" at FLL but even with FLL being so close to Port Everglades it's still pushing the envelope to an uncomfortable level.

Take the 2 p.m. flight. Stay on board for awhile and then leave the ship around 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. and take a leisurely cab ride to the airport and then kill a couple of hours. It may be a bit boring but it won't be as stressful or disappointing as missing your flight.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd December 17th, 2017 12:12 PM

We have been known to take a cab to the beach and have lunch out there before heading to the airport. FLL can certainly be a zoo with post cruise fliers.

Manuel December 17th, 2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1550161)

Take the 2 p.m. flight. Stay on board for awhile and then leave the ship around 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. and take a leisurely cab ride to the airport and then kill a couple of hours. It may be a bit boring but it won't be as stressful or disappointing as missing your flight.
Mike

I think that this is good advice. I used to do that when I was flying from FLL. I don't like stress after a cruise.

TM

storybookcruises.com December 18th, 2017 12:14 AM

The ship may arrive at 5:30am, but the first person off the ship probably will not be until around 7:30am. If everything worked well, and that's a big IF, and you were arriving in Ft. Lauderdale and going to the airport there, you MIGHT be able to make it. Keep in mind you have to be at the airport at least 60 minutes prior to departure, then you have to stand in lines, including TSA. And with several ships in port, it can get very busy.

But to be on the safe side, I never recommend scheduling a flight until noon, 11:00am if you feel lucky, for either a cruise arriving into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

After a nice relaxing cruise, why would you want to put yourself in such a situation that will cause you worry, stress, and hassle? Besides, if you happen to miss the flight, how much money is it going to cost you? And there may not be other flights available until the next day. To me, it's just not worth it. I would much rather be safe than sorry, even if I do have to spend a couple of hours at the airport.

Pete

Sneaky1 December 18th, 2017 02:24 AM

Quite simply you have little to no chance.

RichC December 21st, 2017 07:59 AM

Most times you might make it but just recently last month the Caribbean Princess didn't arrive back to Ft Lauderdale until 9 AM due to a medical emergency.
Is it worth the chance of missing a flight?

seadog2 December 22nd, 2017 12:23 PM

Everyone's advise is very good I'd opt for the later flight.

Donna December 22nd, 2017 06:54 PM

I sure hope he changed his flight??

Trip December 22nd, 2017 10:42 PM

Also, a customs issue can throw a big monkey wrench into your plans....take the later flight, this way you won't need pepto bismal and depends.