Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:49 PM
A Mother That knows..

Default Leave Baby home

Please Parents..leave the tiny, young infants home. What if they become very ill in the middle of the ocean? Are you ready for that? Just got off a cruise last week. Saw many infants screaming and parents going nuts. Its not fair to them or passengers who like to get their sleep at night. And if you do bring them. Please have a hat on them to keep sun off them or to be warm in the wind and cold days. And Please have manners and leaveyour tank strollers out of the shops. The area is too small to wheel in the stroller. Its not your large mall at home.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM
rhondascissorhands

Default Re: Leave Baby home

I too would be a little hesitant on bringing an infant, just because of the lack of accessibility to a hospital. I will be bringing my three kids for the first time in october, and hope they are all fine. They are twins 6 year old girls and a nine year old boy. I will bring an arsenal of meds for them.

Rhonda
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Admiral

you make good points, the cruise ships really aren't capable of handling infant emergencies, they can happen so fast and help needs to be administered right away to the littlest ones. An would you feel comfortable having your baby in a local small Caribbean hospital?? They don't have big city facilities. Something to seriously think about if you are considering cruising with an infant under 18months old.
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM
A Mother That knows..

Rhonda

Your children are the perfect age to cruise. My twins were also 6 on their first cruise. Old enough to attend the children's programs and old enough to remember it all. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
ChristineB

Why would infants be any different than older children (or adults, for that matter) when it comes to illness onboard? I probably wouldn't take a newborn on a cruise (but then again, I wouldn't take one to the grocery store either), but from two months to whenever the baby starts to crawl, I think a cruise would be ideal.

Good advice about the hat and strollers - I went on a brief aiplane trip recently with my then nine week old, and found it *much* easier to get around with her in a sling than i a stroller, especially going through airport security. And I wished I had brought a better hat (it was too big and kept covering her eyes, which she was not at all happpy about).
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Luisa

My three year old son has been on 6 cruises already -- his first was when he was 7 months old. He has enjoyed them all and we feel confident he's in good hands with the doctors on board. I bring pediatric motrin, etc., just in case. I think if you are going on a North American itinerary, you are always close to land in case of an emergency. I just got back from a transatlantic cruise and left my 3 year old at home because I didn't think 5 days at sea would suit his active age. I think you need to know your child and his interests/needs. But I wouldn't hesitate bringing a child over 6 months old on a cruise.
smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Admiral

I have a friend who is a pediatrician and he says that pediatric emergencies in children under a year old are often just that - EMERGENCIES.

Face it, you don't really "know" your newborn from a medical point of view for awhile. I would be hesitant to take a newborn on a cruise. If there is a need for medical care because of an emergency, it could get dicey.

As far as trusting the ship's doctors....I wouldn't take my young child to a regular doctor - only a pediatrician. There's a reason there are pediatric hospitals and emergency rooms. Things are simply done differently for children than for adults. It's not just the size of the instruments....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Passenger

I will be bringing my 7, 5 and 9 month old on our 3rd cruise Dec 31 from Galveston. Please don't come along. I have never encountered anyone be negative about my children while cruising. FYI crusing has become a VERY popular FAMILY vacation.
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Admiral

I'm not being negative, just telling posting an opinion like everybody else.

I didn't presume my opinion was the same as yours, but disagreement isn't negative, it's just disagreement.

If you are comfortable with your infant onboard, then you should go. I simply offered an alternative viewpoint - one of the things I personally value the most about the boards.

You don't have to worry about me cruising from Texas. Although I'd like to visit Texas, I'm happily close to lots of Florida ports and New Orleans. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

dorothy

Post Edited (07-21-05 21:30)

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
A Mother That knows..

Dorothy wasn't not negative at all!! I was posting about very young infants. Babies I saw on Carnival ships this past month were not happy, Being dragged around all day and late into the evening. Not dressed properly either.

My negative problem was strollers running on to my toes and into my rear. Strollers don't belong in a small area. Yes, cruiselines are running family cruises. But, parents need to think about others too. And sometimes children still just don't need to be up late into the night and hanging out in smoky bars. Parents need to put their children first and if they can't go somewhere on land or sea, thats what they need to do.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Passenger

I guess it's like a lot of things, parents who choose to bring their children are judged based on those who have not been great parents on cruises before us.
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Georgene

I have to be honest, If it bothers anyone for babies to be on a cruise ship, they are the ones that need to find somewhere else to go. Find a adult or senior cruise or stay on land and go somewhere families do not go. I have gone on dozens of cruises with my husband, my girlfriends, and by myself and never once have had have been bothered by children. We once took my 2 grandchildren and they went to Camp Carnival and had a blast. I usually go with a positive attitude so I am not one to complain about every little thing either, I go with the flow and enjoy each cruise for what it offers. The cruise ship lines each have a age restriction and I am sure if they felt babies couldn't travel safe on their ships they wouldn't let them aboard. I don't think I have ever heard of any incident involving a child aboard a cruise ship. I trust the infirmary, my girlfriend got very sick once and they took good care of her, they are trained in all fields. I have heard lots of things about drunk unruly adults making lots of noises late at night in their cabins. Most parents I have seen are trying to enjoy the vacation that they have paid for and for the most part most of the parents I have seen have been very courteous about others. Family cruising is just that, for the family, if people are bothered by babies then find another vacation. I would rather have a baby seated next to me at my dinner table than some snob anyway. Just MY opinion on this subject.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:53 PM
kidsAreFun

maybe you should stay at home next time......guess you forgot...you were a baby too at one point.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:06 AM
A Mother that knows

Caring about babies doesn't make one a SNOB! You don't understand my post.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:12 AM
TokyoRose

>>>My negative problem was strollers running on to my toes and into my rear.<<<

Well I had my toes run over by wheelchairs, my ankles bumped into by rolling oxygen tanks and got pushed over by someone in a scooter. Does that mean the geriatric set should stay home too? A scooter takes up just as much room as a stroller if not more and some wheelchairs barely fit down those long hallways.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Admiral

you are all missing the point that was made in the original post.
"A Mother that knows" was just making a point about very young infants and thinking twice before you cruise with very young infants, especially when it comes to their safety and a possible medical emergency.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
A Mother that knows

Lisa..Thank you
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
First Mate

A Mother that knows...
I agree totally..a cruise is no place for babies...from what I saw last year, it didn't look like either the babies, the parents and CERTAINLY not the people around them were having a very good time.
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Boy did I enjoy reading these threads.I know what not to discuss on these boards,but I do love cat fights.Meooooooowwww!!!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
H-MAN

I've read this entire posting and I do have a few problems with some of the comments. I will be traveling with my wife and my 9 month old daughter and although I would never forgive myself if anything ever happened to my daughter I believe that the doctors in the infermary must be qualified to handle any kind of problem. I cruised 5 years ago with my mother who was 70 at the time and only 6 months removed from major heart surgery. I spent time researching and found that most new ships facilities are state of the art for any problem.
I do worry about my daughter, but I am also going to make sure that we don't let her eat anything that we don't bring for her and make her formula with bottled water as not to risk any problems.
I will be bringing her huge stroller though..... I do think we are better off to be able to bring anything we need with us to shore...
I have also booked an aft balcony so that my wife and I can hang out while our daughter naps.
My wife is concerned about going but because she thinks that she will be stuck with the baby all of the time.
I can't wait to take my little girl to the beach and dress her up for fancy dinners and hang out with the two of them for the entire week without working or doing dishes or cooking....
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
rosetattoo

Stop with the big honkin' strollers already......think small, spend $10 for an umbrella stroller...if you need a huge stroller for a shore excursion stocked up with who knows what, maybe you should stay on the ship....travel light folks, less is more in this case, you're weaving in and out of crowds, walking over uneven surfaces, up and down the gangway, onto tender boats, taxis, buses, think light and small.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Yeoman

I have to agree with the last post. You dont need a big stroller. I dont even use a big one at home (in fact I have yet to use one with our newborn-instead I carry her in a sling which she loves). Space in any cabin is limited, halls are narrow, elevators get very crowded (several times weve folded ours up and taken the stairs), tenders get crammed, and trying to fold a big stroller to get in cabs, at security checks, etc is a pain in the butt. I have a nice umbrella type with a small basket underneath and a mesh bag on the handles. If I need more space to haul stuff, then I will be gone too long (I have a 3.5 yr old and a 6 week old now). I bring just enough in my SMALL diaper bag to last a few hours. In the Caribbean, being out in that sun more than that is too much for any of us in our family. We do a quick run around port to shop, head to the beach for 2-3 hrs, and then return to the ship for some down time before dinner.

I love traveling with my kids as it gives us quality family time without distractions. We too get a balcony cabin so our kids can rest while we chat. My hubby comes home a new person and I love watching my kids discover new things. If either of us really wants to do a tour, then we have no problem splitting up and watching the kids for a few hours. Ive traveled to most places so many times, that I have no problem staying with the kids while the husband runs off. When we travel over the holidays this time, our daughter will only be 5 mos old. Yes I worry about her health, but I wouldnt travel if I knew she wasnt healthy to begin with. You can get sick anywhere. My son got a nasty ear infection last year (only his 2nd or 3rd ever at 3 yrs old) and the medical staff onboard saw us at 1 am, and had his fever knocked out within 2 hrs.

Now I wouldnt travel with a newborn (there was a 2 week old on our last trip). By 5-6 mos though, I dont see a problem. My son is bringing home plenty of germs from preschool already, exposing our daughter daily. Shes been out of the house daily at 4 days old. Shes already sleeping 7-8 hrs at night. If at cruise time she is a handful or ill, then we wont go, otherwise, we will be sailing away. So for those that dont want to see kids or babies on cruises, go find a non family type ship or put on the blinders and bite your tongues!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM
A Mother that knows

No need for your last sentence. Kind of snippy.
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Yeoman

Not snippy, basically just restating what others have said already. Im tired of hearing about how I and others shouldnt bring a baby, small kids, etc on a cruise because of this and that. You did bring up a valid point to think about, but ultimately it's the parents' decision. My kids are at risk of getting ill or hurt no matter where they are, just like adults. Again, if they were not healthy to begin with I wouldnt travel with them. I control my kids and remove them if they are not behaving appropriately (which is very rare). I am able to "read" them and know when they need some down time. I dont drag them around ports for hours. Believe it or not, there are parents out there who do know how to take care of their own kids (me being one of them). If cruise lines didn't want kids on board, then they wouldn't advertise it, nor would they allow you to book a trip. It's all been said above......

alison

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Sonia K.

My youngest , now 2 enjoyed 3 cruises last year (his youngest being 12 months). We enjoyed every one of them....and I have to say, being the flirt that he is, many "older" people enjoyed him, as well. One evening before dinner, I walked around with him (as I always did before dinner) and a sweet elderly woman (surrounded by her large extended family) was so taken by the smiles she was getting from him, asked if he could go for a ride on her wheelchair with her. I agreed and her family and I had a very sweet moment. Lots of pictures were taken and she told us that " that ride made her entire trip".

We were on a Carnival ship that caters to families. I can't imagine anyone going on a Carnival ship and expecting to not be bothered with strollers or children's voices.
We went on 3 different cruise lines last year specifically because my husband was doing a newspiece on "Cruising with Kids" and I do think that there is a difference in the way others view children (or infants for that matter) on board depending on what cruise line you are on. On Carnival and Royal Carribean we NEVER had any awkward looks from other passengers, but I do have to say that Princess was a completely different story. Many other families that we met on our Princess cruise all discussed how unwelcome we had felt by MANY passengers simply because we had and infant. This definately effected our cruise experience and we all vowed to not do Princess again until our kids were older. We are going on Carnival again next February and I hope my (now ) 2 year old will get another chance to connect with someone much older than him.......and go for a ride!
Just my 2 cents
Sonia

Disney
Royal Carribean 2004
Carnival 2005
Princess 2005
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Claudia

I (mother of a 7 month infant) do think it is everyone´s responsibility to be respectful and understanding so that everyone can have a good holiday. We have all been or will all go through the different stages of life. Those of us with young children, like me, should try to avoid scenes which cause a nuisance to other passengers. It is those parents who do not organise their children or have rspect for other travellers that give the rest of us a bad name. Letting children run around riot shouting and screaming and disturbing everyone within the vicinity is not acceptable or amusing to anyone. Having said this childless travellers should also understand that children do not necessarily undertsand all the rules of polite behaviour (quite frankly neither do a lot of adults who have on occasion disturbed my holidays). It can at times be difficult to control them and that should not be a reason to ban or look unfavourably upon families cruising with young children. We have all been young once and most of us will come to have children of our own. A little more respect and tolerance both ways would go a long way to keeping everyone happy.
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM
A Mother that knows

Sounds like all of you know what to do with your babies and young children. I , myself, would never take a new infant or baby on my cruise. Hope you all enjoy your cruises. Our family of 4 will be going on 3 different cruises the next 3 weeks. Not all together. I hope we have good weather and that you all do too.
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

I too wouldnt bring an infant or a few months old baby on a cruise, but I know we will have a great trip over the holidays with our almost 4 yr old and 5 mos old. Like I said before, no where else can we get as relaxed as we can on a cruise. I go knowing that with two small kids I wont be doing tours, or everything that the ship has to offer, but then again I go to relax and spend time with my family. Even if we were to go stay on an island, my husband's office (or himself) would still find a way to get in touch via phone, cell, or internet. On a cruise, the thought of paying $7+ per minute for a phone call, and less for email isnt worth it. A week or more without those distractions makes us all new people when we get back home!

alison

Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
AmazingAngel

We are going on our second cruise in feb with two out of three of my kids. My oldest daughter is 12 and my son is 8. we are leaving my three year old at home. She is so full of energy, I would be pooped by the second day on the ship if I had to run after her. Infact the childrens club would charge me double if they had her too lol!! We decide not to take her for the fact of course she would have a blast with us but would she remember the experience when she turns 15? Chances are nope, so when she is five then we will go on another cruise with her. This is our first BIG family cruise with the kids. As in going some place tropical wit them. We cant wait to see the kids faces when they see the ocean or a palm tree for the first time. Infact my daughter is hoping to see someone famous when we get into Miami. i keep telling her the chances are next to nil, but I will let her dream.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Passenger

Cant believe this post is still very active, just thought I would leave some feedback, just came back from cruise Fascination out of Miami to Key west and Cozumel, took Grandbaby 10 months old, had a BLAST. I went alone, got a balcony or suite as they call it on the Fascination, they had a crib waiting in room, small refridgerator and VCR. I brought my babies favorite Noggin shows taped so when we got to room she had her toys and watched her favorite shows.
She was made the PRINCESS of the Carnival Ship that few days, by the way we had one extra day out there because of Katrina. I loved it!
I took my stroller, NOT umbrella and NOT my big one, my lightweight one, cant stand an umbrella not comfortable. Baby and I had a ball, not one negative person at my dinner table or any I could see. I did not bring baby to pool because of her not being toilet trained, but I did bring along a very small blow up pool that we didnt even use because we were having a ball doing lots of other things. We went to bingo, shows, dining room and Lido deck in stroller with NO problem at all. We used elevators. And we went into the shops with NO problem with stroller. Its no different than someone using a wheelchair, use caution and be polite.
Will I take baby again, in a heartbeat!