Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM
1st cruise

Default w. Caribbean with young kids

My family and I are going on our first cruise in March with our 3 yr. old and 6 yr. old. We have ports of call in Progreso, Cozumel, and Belize and are staring to get confused about the shore excursions. Does anyone have any advice they could share on what is available to us with our age restrictions? We really wanted to see the dolphins but the Cozumel trip states that you must be 3 yrs. old and a minimum of 4 feet tall. I don't think Shaq was 4 ft. tall at age 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: w. Caribbean with young kids

Cozumel: We went to Chankanaab Park and had a great time. They have a beach area just for the little ones. They offer restrooms, showers, lockers, beach chairs and shade huts, restuarants and bars. They also have a botanical garden and a Mayan ruin replica. This is where the dolphins are and even if you don't do a swim or an encounter you can see them. There is a sea lion show offered several times a day as well as a swim with the sea lions (which most likely has the same restrictions as the dolphin swim). My kids snorkeled right from the beach and saw quite a bit. They brought dry cereal with them from the ship to attract the fish.

Belize: We did the cave tubing but I wouldn't recommend it with the little ones. One poster said they did the Shark Ray Alley tour with their kids. The little one enjoyed riding in the boat and the parents took turns snorkeling with the older one. Another good excursion would be Goff's Caye. You can hang out on the beach and do some snorkeling from shore. I would definitely recommend some type of tour in Belize. There is no beach right off the pier.

Sorry I can't help with Progresso. We didn't go there.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
sarvogs

We stopped in Cozumel on our trip - I have an 8 mth old and my sister has a 8 & 6 yr old. We took the Passion Island excursion. It was nice, but not alot to do for kids. They can swim in the ocean and then they had 1 water balloon game, but that's about it. So, if they can entertain themselves, and you'd like a quiet afternoon on the beach with drinks and food included, it's the way to go! We didn't go to the other ports.
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Beginner

We did this cruise on the Elation in Dec. We have a now almost 18 mo. old and a 9 1/2 yr. old.

Progreso--Did the Dzibilchaltun Ruins and Rodeo Show through the ship
Cozumel--Took a taxi to Paradise Beach
Belize--Did the Nurse Shark/Sting Ray Tour through Coral Breeze

You can see the pictures in the link below.

Rhapsody of the Sea and Carnival's Elation pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lisaland15
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Luisa

You may also want to read the article I wrote on this site called "Western Caribbean for Kids." You can find it on the main page of the family crusining section. It gives ideas on what to do in some of the ports you mentioned.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Passenger

we did this cruise in july with 3 and 6 years olds. They love cruising!!!!

Progresso--we rode the "shuttle" bus into town that lets out at a market that's OK. We went down a block or so to the same beach that the cruise sold excursions for. We paid 10.00 to have a table and paid for drinks that we ordered. There is a 7-11 across the street. The kids played on the beach for awhile but the water was merky. My husband LOVES the 2 for 1.00 Corona's and was really nice to everyone by 10:00. Progresso was the cheapest place we went buy stuff here. We went back to the market and took the 2.00 tour of the city on this open air double deck bus. It took about 5 min but was worth it.

Cozumel--we took a taxi to Playa Del Maya and paid the entry to get in the kids were free at the gate but not through the ship. I usually don't book excursions through the ship it's too expensive for the same thing you can get it better on your own and I did all my research from this site. The kids liked this place it has lots for them to do and a fresh water pool. Beware if you want to drink the all inclusive drinks you have to ask for the booze DH drank all day before he realized that he was drinking non-a drinks.

Belize--We were not real sure about what to do here. We took our swim stuff just incase. They kids are too small to snorkel unless you have practiced with them and take your own gear for them. We booked an excursion we we got on shore for less than 1/2 the cost of the ship and were with the ships people. We went to Golf's Caye. It was WONDERFUL like nothing we had ever seen. The island is about the size of a football field. DH snorkled the kids and I palyed on the beach and caught hermit crabs. DH ate the lobster tacos but we didn't he did not get sick and still talks about how great they were.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. A few tips:
I took water with us everyday and a few bananas for a quick snack I still don't feel really great about eating off the ship so this snack was great. We took umbrella strollers and they were a life saver. We could keep going when the kids couldn't. Our kids loved Camp Carnival so much that we came home with a little hidden treasure due March 10. Email at awallace@franklinisd.net if you have any questions.

Old February 7th, 2005, 10:48 AM
1st cruise

Default Re: Re: w. Caribbean with young kids

Thanks for the great advice. We booked the dolphin encounter through the ship but I took your advice and found a great excursion (sting ray alley) with coral breeze in Belize so my wife and I can take turns snorkleing with the 6 yr. old and swimming with the 3 yr. old and we saved a lot of money. CONGRATULATIONS on your little souviner.

Thanks again, 1st cruise