Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

Old March 20th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Default which cruise line?

We are looking to take another family cruise in August. My sons will be 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. I am looking at Carnival, Norweign and Princess since they take 2 year olds into the childrens program. We did Disney last year and enjoyed the experience as a family. My older one though, hated the club. I think part of it was that he didn't know anyone and Disney makes no effort to make introductions. The club was also very dark, almost depressing! Any suggestions which ships and programs are best suited for the young ones? We don't care about the destinations. We would do the caribbean, bermuda or canada/new england.
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: which cruise line?

Hi Mom,
We were on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas last year and really enjoyed all the ship had to offer. These Voyager class ships seem geared for the families. There is so much to do on these ships, you almost don't need any destinations. I'd suggest checking into any one of them, Voyager, Explorer or Adventures of the Seas, wonder cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2002, 02:08 PM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

Default Re: which cruise line?

I'm the family cruise editor here. While Donna suggested Royal Caribbean, be aware that they don't accept two year olds in their youth programs. You are, however, correct that Princess, NCL and Carnival all accept two year olds. We've been on them all (my 8 year old has been on 9 cruises with #10 scheduled for next month!) and she enjoyed them all for different reasons. On Carnival, we liked all the family activities while the counselors on NCL were a lot of fun. Princess gave a very well rounded program and we found the counselors to be very warm. I think they'll enjoy any of them. I suggest Bermuda or Caribbean since little ones your age always enjoy the beach. We loved New England/Canada but waited until my daughter was old enough to do more sightseeing.
Feel free to ask me any more detailed questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old March 22nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaried
Default Re: Re: which cruise line?

I'm in the process of booking our first cruise on carnivals victory a western carribean we have 3 girls ages 15,11, and 6. I'm concerned about the excurssions for my 6 year old will it be to much for her. Also the cost of the excurrssions, I think Dunns river and swimming with the stingrays sounds fun. I just want an ideal how much i may be spending on excurrsions. thank you

Old March 25th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: which cruise line?

We've gone to Dunn's River Falls twice with our daughter on W. Caribbean cruises. She was 5 the first time and 7 the second. She made it half way up the first time and all the way the second time. There are some tricky areas that you'll have to help her up but
my daughter REALLY enjoyed the excursion. I have had a lot of parents say that their children are afraid of swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. I didn't take my daughter on that one since she gets frightened easily. Instead in Grand Cayman we went on the semi-sub Atlantis which she really enjoyed. On both cruises we also took a cab from the pier to Seven Mile Beach for the afternoon. It was a relaxing and affordable afternoon. The beach clubs on Seven Mile charge a small fee for entry and you can rent watersports there too.
I hope this is helpful.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor