Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Default Ladies, I need help

What do you use for at-the-port day for your wallet and everything else? Do you carry a purse or backpack?

I don't know which purse I want to bring with me. Also I will be traveling with my 2 kids. So as a mom, we will have to carry some of their stuff in my purse as well.

Any suggestion?

TIA

http://the-q-family.blogspot.com
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I use two things, one being a "decoy". I put ID's, money, credit card in a tiny pouch that fits under my clothes. Or, a flat waist bag that I tie a long sleeve shirt over to make it harder for someone to snag. Then, I also carry a light weight back pack with poncho, other port stuff and to hold anything I buy. That is my decoy. If someone is determined enough to get that off my back somehow, nothing in there that would be a catastrophe to lose. If I take my good camera with me, which I usually do, it goes in it's own bag cross -wise across my chest.
Hope this helps. I've never taken a real purse into a port.
Marty
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I never take my purse, but have used a fanny pack and depending on what I'm doing in port, sometimes I need a beach bag for towels, camera, etc. Try to keep it as light as possible and bring as little cash, just enough for the day, tips, a few purchases.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Admiral

i carry the basic essentials in my fanny/hip pack, and a backpack for beach stuff, and souveniors, dh usually carries the good camera around his neck and i have the disposable in the back pack
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I use two things, one being a "decoy". I put ID's, money, credit card in a tiny pouch that fits under my clothes. Or, a flat waist bag that I tie a long sleeve shirt over to make it harder for someone to snag. Then, I also carry a light weight back pack with poncho, other port stuff and to hold anything I buy. That is my decoy. If someone is determined enough to get that off my back somehow, nothing in there that would be a catastrophe to lose. If I take my good camera with me, which I usually do, it goes in it's own bag cross -wise across my chest.
Hope this helps. I've never taken a real purse into a port.
Marty
Good idea. Where did you get the pouch?
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Admiral

I have several. One I bought in Belize, so that won't help, but Magellan's has them. Hope it is okay to mention that.
Marty
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I have a Coach cross body bag that I use for vacations.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Familiar Face

Travelon makes a pretty good "across the body" purse type bag. I got one on Ebay and used it during our last trip. It was small and compact and still held almost as much as my big regular purse. You won't need a purse on the ship but on shore excursions you might. Have a great time.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Another option for hiding a small bag under clothing for critical items is simply to use a lanyard to attach anything....some wallets have attached key ring, for example. I prefer the cloth ones, since leather or nylon can get sweaty and I like something long enough to go around my neck, under my top and then tuck under my pants' waistline.
I just make certain that I carry enough cash in a pocket or other bag. If you have to drag the secret one out every time you need a buck or two, it tends to lost it's secretiveness!

I started doing all of this after a friend had a very slick thief manage to empty her travel purse. Never even figured out where or when it happened, but it was definitely in a port. I saw her put stuff in her purse. Not there when we were ready to get back on the ship.
Marty
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Use a "fannie" pak.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Admiral

Just a couple of things. I got back from my cruise which included stops in Spain, Portugal, and Italy. In these ports it's important to take your passport. However, there are pick pockets I used a money belt under my clothes and no one knew I had it on. My hubby got the around the neck pouch and my mom got the security purse with steel mesh and cables under the handles. We got all these items at REI. Here are some links. I hope that helps.
Neck Pouch
http://www.rei.com/luggage/TOC/Under...ALL_CATEGORIES
Money belts
http://www.rei.com/luggage/TOC/Money...ALL_CATEGORIES
Security Purse
http://www.rei.com/product/749784?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
First Mate

Default Fanny Pouch & Back Pack

I always take two credit cards on a cruise and traveler's checks. I carry a fanny pack in sunny ports and back pack that doubles as a cross the body bag (or traditional backpack option) for Alaska. I carry only enough cash for tipping, one of the credit cards and a traveler's check. Should there ever be a theft....I have the second credit card in the safe in the cabin (along w/other travelers checks, etc). Can get traveler's checks replaced, credit card company numbers are in the safe too....w/call to get card cancelled. I never carry a purse in port.
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Captain

I use a very small bag that I carry across my body when I'm on vacation, for cruises I use one of those swimboxes- about big enough to haold a pack of cigarettes (even thoug DH doesn't smoke anymore). I usually carry my Sign & sail card, a 20 & one cc. (He carries the tip money). and a beach bag for bottled water, towels, etc.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96