Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old March 4th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Passenger

Default Do they open your luggage in front of you?

What if my wife wants to bring her marital aids? Will she be completely embarrassed to do so? Are they going to check our luggage in front of us and everyonelse?
Old March 4th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Do they open your luggage in front of you?

Sal,
The way these new X-rays work, at least here at O'hare, you leave your luggage after its been tagged with the airline stickers for your flights, they then put it through the machine and you are not there, unless you want to wait around, so most likely if they see the need to open your luggage, you are not there and no one would know who's it is anyway. When leaveing SJU this week-end, again we brought the tagged luggage over to where they x-ray it, then they send it on the belt. Fortunately with us, none of ours was opened, so I really don't know how that would work if they had to. I understand if they need to open and have a look, they will leave a note in it, stating that they opened it up.

Good luck and hopefully your luggage will safely pass the x-rays.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Do they open your luggage in front of you?

Thank you very much.
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Yeoman

Does this mean that if you wait while they x-ray it, you can then lock it and not have a broken lock when you arrive? At the airports where DH passes through (small) they make you stay until they have x-rayed it. Would they have any reason to reopen it once it has gone through x-rays? I bought some of those brightly colored straps that have a combination lock back before the new regs. Will they allow you access to put on a strap and a lock after x-rays?
Thanks ahead of time for your help!
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Do they open your luggage in front of you?

Hi Linda,
I'm pretty sure that after the luggage has been through the x-rays, you can not touch it again. I too used those colorful straps for the first time and they made it there and back with no problems. We just left the luggage unlocked and thankfully things were fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do they open your luggage in front of you?

Hi all -

My suitcase was selected at "random" (I was the only in line at that moment) to be opened and searched when I was checking in at an American Airlines counter in Fresno about 3 weeks ago. It was right done there in front of me and anyone else who was around on a table opposite the counter.

I don't know if this is unusual or not. It was a first for me...and it was the last time I locked my luggage on that trip.

Suzi
Old March 23rd, 2003, 03:15 PM
MaxMax

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do they open your luggage in front of yo

My understanding is that it varies by airport. I've personally seen it done both ways. At one airport, luggage was x-rayed and searched out of pax view. At another, it was done in the presence of pax. I was given the option of locking my luggage after it went through the x-ray machine.

I would suggest contacting the airport(s) involved and asking them directly.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:22 AM
ti

my friend had her lock broken open on the way to miami and on the way back stating that they inspected her suitcase
Old April 11th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Donna,

The way these new X-rays work, at least here at O'hare, you leave your luggage after its been tagged with the airline stickers for your flights, they then put it through the machine and you are not there, unless you want to wait around, so most likely if they see the need to open your luggage, you are not there and no one would know who's it is anyway.

This practice varies extensively from airport to airport. At some airports, the screening equipment is in the check-in area and passengers are asked to wait until the TSA personnel clear their bags -- which has the advantage that they will ask you for the key or the combination to your locks and re-lock your luggage upon completion of the inspection. The table where they open any pieces that they need to open may or may not be in plain view of those awaiting the screening of their bags. At other airports, the screening occurs "behind the scenes" in the baggage handling area so you are not there -- with the unfortunate consequence that they break any locks on whatever pieces they need to open because they don't have access to the combination or the key.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Sal,

What if my wife wants to bring her marital aids? Will she be completely embarrassed to do so? Are they going to check our luggage in front of us and everyonelse?

The practice varies widely from airport to airport, and may even vary between different terminals at the same airport. The stated plan was to put all the screening equipment in the airport's baggage handling area, to which passengers would not have access, and to require that luggage be unlocked (or to break the locks on any locked piece that the TSA inspectors needed to open), but the layout of many terminals apparently did not allow this practice. As a result, the TSA ended up installing the inspection stations in the check-in areas at many airports. Where it's in the check-in area, the TSA personnel do ask the passenger for the key or combination when they need to open bags that are locked -- and, more importantly, do re-lock the bags and return the keys. At terminals in which the inspection stations are in the check-in area, the tables on which they open bags are well out of reach but may or may not be visible.

Here's the practice at the airports where I have checked baggage this year.

>> Papeete/Faaa International Airport, French Polynesia (FAAA): The baggage screening here does not follow U. S. practice. You have to go though the baggage screening station to get to the ticket area. At the screening station, they affix "in cabin" tags to your carry-on bags and screen only your checked luggage. Once it's cleared, you take it to the ticket counter and the check-in proceeds as before, then exit the check-in area to the main terminal. They scan your hand luggage when you proceed from the main terminal to the gate.

>> Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Terminal 5 (Delta Air Lines): The TSA personnel direct you to a waiting area while they clear your bags. You can see the bags that are cleared, but not the inspection tables.

>> T. F. Green Airport, Providence, RI (PVD): The TSA personnel direct you to a waiting area while they scan your bags. The tables where they open bags are visible from the waiting area.

>> Vail/Eagle County Aiport, Colorado (EGE): There were no scanning machines (as of 05 Jan), but they do swipe bags for residues in the check-in area. The inspection tables, also located in the check-in area, are in plain view. The TSA representatives will move your bags to the check-in counter for you after they clear them, as you are not allowed to touch them once they are cleared.

I have thus far avoided flying out of Boston's Logan International Airport (BOS) and Manchester (NH) Regional Airport (MHT) because the reported practice at these airports is to inspect luggage in the back room and I want my luggage locked.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Linda,

You have to lock your luggage before they scan it because they don't allow you to touch it at any time during the clearing process or after they scan it. If they scan the luggage in the check-in area, though, they will ask you for the key or the combination if htey need to open your bag.

Norm.
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Yeoman

We secure our bags with wire bundle ties. Noticed they were secured with different ones when we got home. Nice note inside saying they had been selected after screening for search and resecured. Nothing particularly out of place, but then there wasn't anything particularly spicy inside. Gave up the mechanical aids a long time ago.
Old April 19th, 2003, 09:00 PM
MaxMax

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do they open your luggage in front of you?

In airports where they scan out of pax view, they have the right to break the locks...and they do. Some airlines/airports no longer permit locks on luggage at all.
Old April 25th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Beginner

What if you are not flying and just go to straight to the Port of Call? Do they open your luggage there? I'm driving straight to the terminal in Baltimore.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Norm: How can I get a list of airports like you mentioned in your post. I want to check to see how it is done at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, Arizona.

Thanks,

Robb
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Robb,

The airports that I named were airports through which I have travelled since the new procedures took effect. I'm not aware of any master list, but perhaps somebody else has travelled through Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) in Phoenix this year.

I can add one airport to the list in my earlier post. Huntsville-Decatur International Airport (HSV) in Alabama also uses the swipe method and does the screening in the check-in area, in plain view, like Vail-Eagle County (EGE).

BTW, the things that are most likely to require opening your luggage for inspection at airports equipped with the new scanning machines are (1) candy, such as chocolate and carmel, and (2) anything with large pieces of rubber or plastic. The new scanners measure the density of the materials in one's suitcase and apparently cannot differentiate between these substances and plastic explosives. I have heard reports that that thick stacks of books may also be a trigger, but have not encountered this problem as yet.

Norm.
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I traveled JFK to Salt Lake enroute to Anchorage (Sky Princess) June of 2002..the lock was missing from my bag when in arrived in my cabin..no note inside..assumed either it was checked or the lock broke..it was old and sometimes didn't lock properly. I can't remember if the flight was Delta or American.

on board ship purchased a new lock and to my suprise it was missing when I got back to JFK..again no note in the bag...I was to tired to check the bag and just hoped that nothing was missing.... Came home via Canada where you go through customs before you check in and give up your bag so I can't understand the lock being removed from the bag..flew Air Canada.

Going to England thes fall and definilty will check before I put any type of lock on the bag..I also sometimes use a locking strap on an older bag because the outside pouch zippers aren't to great and I don't want them to flop open...
Old June 29th, 2003, 09:26 AM
cantwaitogo

Default luggage

Do they limit you to the amount of carry on bags you take onto the cruise ship?
Old June 29th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: luggage

Hi Can't,
No, there is no limit to the amount of carry-on, but they do have to fit through the scanners as your board, very simular to the ones you go through at the airports.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:39 PM
another cruise virgin

Default luggage search

This question was asked, but I missed the answer. I am not going through an airport. I am going straight to the cruise ship. Do I lock my luggage for the ship? Does the ship scan or search my luggage? Thanks.
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: luggage search

YEs, absolutely lock, cable tie and be sure to secure your luggage. The porters on the pier are not employees of the cruise line. Also, a Tip is very important for the safety and security of your luggage. $1 per bag or more is acceptable.
Old August 7th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: luggage search

another cruise virgin,

No, there's nobody inspecting luggage going aboard cruise ships in the same way that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) gestapo inspect luggage that are going aboard aircraft. Some cruise lines do use X-ray machines to inspect luggage, but they don't open anything.

If you wish, you can carry all of your luggage aboard with you rather than using the loading services. I have done this on a couple cruises for which I arrived at the pier by taxi.

Norm.