Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old June 16th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default Attire during the day on ship?

Am I correct in thinking that during the day on the ship you can wear any type of casual wear? Jean shorts, tank tops, swim cover-ups, etc.? Then after dinner and beyond is when you wear your nicer things?

Also, what do you wear on shore excursions in the Caribbean? I know it would depend on what you were doing. We will be snorkeling on one and mountain biking on the other. Do people leave the ship with their swimwear on and a nice cover-up? Or do you just wear shorts and shirt and take your swimwear?

We will be on the Golden Princess.
Old June 16th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Attire during the day on ship?

Hi Abby,
You are correct, you can wear your shorts, t-shirts, etc. during the day and on excursions. If we will be going snorkeling, I usually just wear my bathing suit under my shorts and t-shirt, makes it easier and no lugging clothes along. You may want to take a towel offered by the ship along on those kinds of excursions, just remember to bring them back. They will have a bin where you can toss in your towel when you return to the ship.

Also if we are doing an early morning snorkeling tour, we usually just come back to the ship afterwards, have a quick lunch and change to go out and sightsee some more, or else just hit the pool deck.

You will find that your cabin attendant will leave a set of towels for you every evening, if not, just ask him and let him know you will be needing them, when you leave the used ones in the cabin he/she will replace them every day with clean ones, so enjoy Golden Princess. We were on Golden for New Years and had a lovely time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 17th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I'm with Donna ... the B-suit under shorts and a shirt when going ashore. You can always tuck some undies in your bag, along with your suntan lotion.

For men, Lands' End had some great combination cargo shorts/B-suit that dry almost instantly.

Old June 22nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Attire during the day on ship?

Ditto what Pamda said. If you think you might be getting wet, wear the suit. On top of that, either cover-up or shorts and shirt. Dry 'undies' (I love your words Pam!) are an appreciated luxury if you are not planning on coming back to the ship to change. And Pamda's tip on men's shorts/suits is perfect.

My tip is to wear water sandals, such as Tevas. Amphibious footwear works great for water related shore excursions.
Old June 22nd, 2002, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Ditto what Merm said on the amphibious sandals. Just take along some moleskin if they are new.

I'm still recovering from blisters from the Summit adventure.