Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old May 26th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Plane tickets

Hello everybody, I have a quick question. It's my first time on a cruise, as a Video Technician with Carnival. They provide the plane tickets to the US and from the US, at the end of the 6 month contract. My question is, can I ask officially for my plane ticket back to be 3-4 days after the normal end of the contract? Being in LA for 6 months and not being able to visit anything is kinda sad it would be nice if I could stay just a few more days after, just to see the city.
A friend of a friend working at Carnival said it's possible, a month before you leave you have to complete a form and you have that option there. But I'd like to hear a second opinion. Thank you!
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilefido View Post
Hello everybody, I have a quick question. It's my first time on a cruise, as a Video Technician with Carnival. They provide the plane tickets to the US and from the US, at the end of the 6 month contract. My question is, can I ask officially for my plane ticket back to be 3-4 days after the normal end of the contract? Being in LA for 6 months and not being able to visit anything is kinda sad it would be nice if I could stay just a few more days after, just to see the city.
A friend of a friend working at Carnival said it's possible, a month before you leave you have to complete a form and you have that option there. But I'd like to hear a second opinion. Thank you!

The answer to your question depends in part on which passport you carry.

If you do not have a US Passport, you will be entering the USA (working onboard your ship) as a seafarer on a C1-D visa. This means that as you finish your contract in a US port, you will disembark the ship under your C1-D visa. US Immigration rules permit most C1-D visa holders to remain in the USA only 24 hours after disembarking a ship.

If you have another visa (B-1 for example), or additional permission to visit the USA, you generally cannot change from a C1-D to another visa while inside the USA. You would be required to leave the USA, then re-enter under your different visa status. Many European officers who want to stay in the USA after their contract is finished are disembarked under their C1-D visas, fly to Canada or Mexico for one day, then fly back to the USA using their B-1, or some other visa waiver arrangement. Even then, although this is legal, US Immigration gives them a difficult time, as it is obvious what they are doing.

Even with a US passport, disembarking a foreign flag ship in a US port can be a problem. I am a US citizen residing outside the USA. Two times in my career, I have disembarked - with my US passport - in a US port, only to be told by US immigration that I must leave the USA within 24 hours, because I do not live in the USA.
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I've been doing some research in the meantime but found only bits and pieces. That's good info, thank you!