CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=278)
-   -   Cruise Directors (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405496)

Lakers Fan February 28th, 2015 04:36 PM

Cruise Directors

On my last cruise we had a horrible CD . We only saw him on stage to introduce acts. On all of our prior cruises (with the exception of one without a CD) we have had wonderful CD's .

How important to you is the CD ?

Pootersdad February 28th, 2015 04:43 PM

Cruise Directors

Not at all important. In fact, we get tired of all the "announcements" of upcoming events.....WE CAN READ THE COMPASS! :!:

nlb1050 February 28th, 2015 05:34 PM

Not important at all. It is up to us to make the cruise a great one not the CD.

Donna February 28th, 2015 05:44 PM

I do enjoy a good cruise director, while it doesn't make or break a cruise, it makes it a bit more enjoyable. I do recall going into town and seeing the CD among cruisers.

A good CD does a lot more than just come to the nightly shows, you should see them out on the pool deck, etc.

Manuel February 28th, 2015 06:40 PM

I too enjoy a good CD.

TM

nlb1050 February 28th, 2015 07:37 PM

On all of our cruises we have hardly ever seen the CD anywhere other than the stage introducing the act(s). But I don't care as I said it is up to us to make the cruise great and not them. I have seen too many that I have thought were completely full of themselves.

Lakers Fan February 28th, 2015 07:51 PM

My preference is a CD who mingles with the people cruising .

Fern February 28th, 2015 09:30 PM

We don't care much about the CD anymore, either. We don't do all of the shows or other activities like we used to.

I agree that a good CD should mingle with the passengers, not just be an announcer. I do recall one CD who was always out by the tour buses to make sure everyone got to the correct bus. I thought that was nice :).

That said, we've never sailed on Carnival with John Heald as CD. He seems to be funny and incredibly popular. Maybe we'll find out some day!

rollerdonna February 28th, 2015 10:45 PM

The CD hasn't, or won't make or break a cruise for me, but that being said, we've had some duds that were disappointing, and some who were so personable and talented that they enhanced our cruise experience. I too would love to cruise with John Heald as CD, maybe one day!

donna

Lakers Fan March 1st, 2015 10:44 AM

Our first cruise was on a Cunard ship and at that time there was no such thing as a Cruise Director .I cannot recall if there was one on our second cruise which was with Carnival .However,on our third on a HAL ship we had a wonderful CD.
In 2013 we did an NCL family cruise and the CD seemed to be everywhere .He spent a lot of time with the kids .

Sistersolo March 1st, 2015 11:17 AM

I certainly agree that it's possible to have a great cruise with a CD who seems to do nothing but introduce the shows. But I've been fortunate to have had two cruises with different CD's who were fantastic. Not only did they seem to be everywhere, all of the time, they were personable and interesting and created a great line-up of activities.

Mike M March 1st, 2015 12:40 PM

I always said that could care less about a cruise director. That was until we were on a Carnival cruise that had a bad cruise director. I don't care if they are at the shows, schmoozing around the ship or doing their daily TV show. When you have a truly bad cruise director is when things don't happen that you always take for granted.

On this cruise activities were either late or no one showed up to run them. You would go to the area for trivia or other games and no one from the CD staff would be there, or they would show up ten - fifteen minutes late.

I spoke with one of the staff who told me that the CD was new and had no idea how to do their job. He had changed their schedules and the times for activities but didn't check to see if venues were actually available or he had the staff going to the wrong places or double booked for two activities at the same time. They were as frustrated as the passengers and by the fourth day of the cruise you could tell. That was when I learned to appreciate a CD.

I still could care less who the CD is or really care about them being at the shows or hosting the marriage game. I do care that what's in the daily schedule happens and is on time and staffed.

Donna: I have cruised twice with John Heald and never saw him other than at the shows or the morning TV show. I think he spent most of his time in his cabin.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel March 1st, 2015 01:09 PM

We sailed with ' Ken Rush ' twice.

Once on the Oasis and the following year on the Allure. He mingles a lot and we think that he is a great Cruise Diector.

TM

Donna March 1st, 2015 02:43 PM

I've also had Ken Rush as a CD twice, he's one of the top ones, very funny personal man...

Lakers Fan March 1st, 2015 08:52 PM

2 cruises

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistersolo (Post 1515213)
I certainly agree that it's possible to have a great cruise with a CD who seems to do nothing but introduce the shows. But I've been fortunate to have had two cruises with different CD's who were fantastic. Not only did they seem to be everywhere, all of the time, they were personable and interesting and created a great line-up of activities.

One had to be a cruise we were both on ,I believe in 2012 .;)

Trip March 2nd, 2015 11:37 AM

For me they mean nothing...their job has changed over the years and their staff is who you see, rather then the cd. Being on time and having things run properly is important,and, I would not be happy if I ran into what Mike experienced.

We had Ken Rush a couple of times...he wanted to go "Hollywood," and was a bit to full of himself for my taste, but, he was ale to excite the masses when he needed to...

ship2shore March 2nd, 2015 04:25 PM

I think CD's are reluctant to "share their wisdom and experience" with their subordinates, for fear of being replaced by them. This results in a shallow talent pool, CD's moving on to greener pastures, and talent being promoted before they are ready. The flood of newbuilds in the last decade and the resulting "growing pains" are also a factor for certain. Our last CD was, shall we say, less-than-dynamic, but at least she did try...

DavidB March 2nd, 2015 05:05 PM

In addition to my other post, personally I think they are one of the laziest staff members on any ship. In their head they have made it after all these years working the lines,,,,a totally over rated post, that in reality is thier trip and does not bring much value to the rest of us!

Sistersolo March 2nd, 2015 06:07 PM

To Lakers Fan - Len, I remember that cruise. As I recall, you thought the CD was great, and I thought he was poor; but since then I've also had a couple of bad ones, so now I'd move him up to mediocre.

To me, the worst ones are those who have an unwarranted belief in how funny they are.

Lakers Fan March 3rd, 2015 12:24 AM

two

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistersolo (Post 1515298)
To Lakers Fan - Len, I remember that cruise. As I recall, you thought the CD was great, and I thought he was poor; but since then I've also had a couple of bad ones, so now I'd move him up to mediocre.

To me, the worst ones are those who have an unwarranted belief in how funny they are.

I believe we were on 2 cruises together with 2 different CD's .

Manuel March 3rd, 2015 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1515276)

We had Ken Rush a couple of times...he wanted to go "Hollywood," and was a bit to full of himself for my taste, but, he was ale to excite the masses when he needed to...

He is very personable and respectful. I talked to him a couple of times when I was on the Oasis and when I cruised on the Allure the following year he recognized me and mentioned a conversation we had the first time we met.
Considering all the people he see in a year, I was impressed.

TM