Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Default Winter pre cruise attire

When you leave for a winter cruise leaving from the east coast do you tend to wear winter clothing or lighter weight garments to have more room in your suitcase ?
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:24 PM
Admiral

When I used to fly from Ct. to cruise in warm destinations, I used to dress in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.
I would warm up my car, drive to the Airport parking lot, leave my jacket in the car and get in the shuttle to the airport. After that there was no more cold until I came back home.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:50 PM
Admiral

It was cool when we sailed out of FLL last Feb. We do the layer thing, light jacket and sweater. I guess I am not as hearty as Manuel.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
When I used to fly from Ct. to cruise in warm destinations, I used to dress in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.
I would warm up my car, drive to the Airport parking lot, leave my jacket in the car and get in the shuttle to the airport. After that there was no more cold until I came back home.

TM
We will be in our car for 2 hours to NJ then on a shuttle bus to the ship .I am trying to determine if I should wear a winter coat ,an in-between coat or a lightweight jacket .
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Default Winter Pre-Cruise Attire

I guess this info is more for the ladies, but when I travel, I almost always wear the same outfit. It's airport proof: stretchy pants with no zippers and a long or short sleeve tee. All I have to do is remove my shoes.

Judy
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will wear no more then a light jacket or sweater...who ever picks us up, will bring a heavier jacket if needed on that day.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If we park at the airport I drop off my wife at the terminal and then park the car. We leave our coats in the car and I "tough it out" until I get into the terminal.

The only time it was a "bit chilly" was two years ago. It was January and when I went to get the car it was -18F. I turned those seat warmers on right away.

When we get home my wife goes to grab the luggage and I go get the car. I leave the garage and pick her up at baggage claim. By that time the car is warmed up for her.

If someone is picking us up then it's no problem.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=CruisinK n J;1413025]I guess this info is more for the ladies, but when I travel, I almost always wear the same outfit. It's airport proof: stretchy pants with no zippers and a long or short sleeve tee. All I have to do is remove my shoes.

Judy[/QUOTE
Ditto!
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On cruises out of the NE in the winter the cruise lines make a fortune the first couple of days selling sweat shirts and warmer clothing to everyone who came to the ship in " summer cruise wear".

I can tell you from experience, cruising out of the NE the first couple of days can be quite chilly. It's very different than sailing from southern ports, like Florida, where the weather can be warm as soon as you arrive.

Even on those cruises, the people coming from colder climes, who begin wearing shorts etc. right from their home, I think are also the ones who come down with colds, sniffles, etc. in the first couple of days

Henry... dress WARM. You are not flying anywhere, so no need to worry about room in your suitcase. Store your coats in the cabin, and you have them available when your ship arrives back in NJ.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Kuki, since you aren't flying, you want to be comfy driving in the car for a couple of hours, and you are cruising out of NJ - a nice pair of sweats,t-shirt and a zip-front hoody would be perfect. If its cold on the day you leave, throw on your winter coat, then you can either leave it in the car or carry it with you on the ship, and stow it in your cabin
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
On cruises out of the NE in the winter the cruise lines make a fortune the first couple of days selling sweat shirts and warmer clothing to everyone who came to the ship in " summer cruise wear".

I can tell you from experience, cruising out of the NE the first couple of days can be quite chilly. It's very different than sailing from southern ports, like Florida, where the weather can be warm as soon as you arrive.

Even on those cruises, the people coming from colder climes, who begin wearing shorts etc. right from their home, I think are also the ones who come down with colds, sniffles, etc. in the first couple of days

Henry... dress WARM. You are not flying anywhere, so no need to worry about room in your suitcase. Store your coats in the cabin, and you have them available when your ship arrives back in NJ.
Kuki,

I agree about cruising out of the NE in the Winter. Warm weather clothing is definitely needed those first and last couple of days.

I would never wear shorts, in Winter, while driving to the airport. But I sure won't be taking a heavy jacket with me to Florida.

BTW: There are quite a few studies that show that brief exposure to cold has nothing to do with coming down with illness. Sitting near a walking petri dish on an airplane does.

Then again, I stopped giving advice on water temperature and "cool" nights in Florida and the Caribbean. I guess 70 degree air temps and 80 degree surf temps are "really cold" to a lot of people. To me it's heaven.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Henry, Wayne and I just disembarked from the Explorer of the Seas on Saturday, Jan. 28th.

We drove down from Ontario, and left our car parked at the hotel where we stayed before the cruise. Because there was no snow, we left our boots in the car, but wore our winter coats, which we stored in the stateroom closet. We found the waiting area in the terminal fairly cool - even I kept my coat on. Once we were able to board the ship we had to leave the terminal and board a shuttle bus which took us to the ship. Although it was a sunny day it was cold, and the wind had quite a bite to it. It was a little warmer when we disembarked Saturday, but we were glad to have warm coats. As Kuki mentioned, we were happy to have packed some warmer clothes as the first 2 days at sea were windy and cold. On the way back, though, we had shorts weather up until early afternoon of the last day.

Based on our experience, I agree that taking a warm coat at this time of year is the best choice.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default No umbrellas ??

For us Scots, it is not the temp that concerns us - it is where is the umbrella?

For me, layers + umbrella

Annie
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If I was leaving from here,[n.e.] I would probably bring my mink, and sit by the pool, the first few days

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,Kuki ,et al.