Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Smile Welcome Home Trip & Mike

Welcome home Trip & Mike. I look foward to hearing all about you cruise and seeing pictures. Time to get busy planing the next one!
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Admiral

What? They can't be home already! Didn't they just leave?
Well, I hope you guys had a great cruise, and can't wait to hear more about it!

donna
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
What? They can't be home already! Didn't they just leave?
Well, I hope you guys had a great cruise, and can't wait to hear more about it!

donna

Hard to believe it's been a week already! I'm sorry it went by so fast for you guys!
Like I said time to start planing your next cruise.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its been nice following their daily activities on board and in ports. Yes, it does feel like they just left, but the ship should be getting into port this morning, a bit late, but they had winds to deal with.

Have safe trips back home, missed you guys around here, its been lonely...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

That was fast!! It seems like you just left. I do hope you had a fantastic voyage.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 7th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back....If you have the chance to book one of our CM cruises, you will have so much fun, and meet the nicest people. The cooking demos with Chef Matt were a big hit. This group just clicked so well, and the cocktail party, with a big thanks to Nancy, was a highlight for sure! Another winner, was the back pack tote bag, filled with goodies..I could spot them being used all week on board.

The only down side for me at the moment, is my swollen tootsies oh well, this too shall pass....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The only down side for me at the moment, is my swollen tootsies oh well, this too shall pass....
Trip, you need to sit up with your book and tea.

Welcome back to you and Mike.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Welcome home everyone. Sounds like you had a great time.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I would love to do a CM cruise. After my cruise in 2011 my next will be 2013. Maybe there will be something then.
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks so much for welcoming me back. I figured you'd be hoping I was kidnapped by pirates.

It was a good time. I liked the entertainment offerings of the Epic, Chef Matt did a great job and we all learned a few things. Another "Culinary Cruise" would be a wonderful thing. Hopefully the on board staff will treat Chef Matt and us as well as they did on Epic.

Epic is a fun ship but my best comparison would be that they tried "too hard" to put everything in. There is so much to do and so many places to dine that even a 150,000 grt ship has been packed full. As I stated in my daily report: "They put 45 pounds in a 40 pound sack."

I also have to say that I am not a fan of the "New Wave" cabins. While they have a lot of storage space the cabin is too narrow for me and it is not at all conducive for more than two people, especially if the additional people are not a spouse or child. The other thing that bothered me was that the "cubby holes" were plentiful but not very deep.

The food in the buffet is good and the non-surcharge restaurants were just fine but not fantastic. The surcharge restaurants were good to excellent with La Cucina being the only "fair" restaurant we ate at. I didn't like it and compared it to a couple of notches below Olive Garden with overcooked pasta, a pathetic antipasti plate and the most fishy seafood fettuccine I'd ever had. Cagney's, Moderno, the Noodle Bar and Shanghai's were very good to excellent. The salad bar at Moderno will almost make you forget about the meats. It is wonderful and first rate items. The beet salad, ceviche and seafood chowder were wonderful and I wanted them again for dessert. I am a bit amazed to say that the "comfort food" in O'Sheehan's was the most enjoyable and consistent.

I'm glad to be home and I have a number of things to now take care of so it's going to be a busy couple of days.

Thanks again,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Welcome back Trip and Mike from your wonderful cruise
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Captain

I wont say welcome back because im sure you both wish the cruise was still on going!!! I will say that I really enjoyed your virtual cruise on the Epic and am glad to be a part of a group with such great representatives on these group cruises!!

One question.....How was the motion on the ship with Hurricane Tomas in the Caribbean?

Happy sailing
Tim

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas 14
Carnival Splendor 15
Holland America Westerdam 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Norwegian Pearl Alaska May 2017
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Tim,

We were not impacted by Tomas but we were greatly impacted by a strong cold front that moved in from the mainland. We were hit by 55 mph winds while docked in Cozumel. The winds were so strong that they pinned the Epic to the dock and we were unable to leave for 14 hours. Once we were able to leave the ship had to run at 25 knts in order to make Miami by 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Welcome back Trip & Mike........guess I missed this......thougth I posted........must be old age.......

Sharon
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Admiral

When is the next CM cruise ?
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

January is the "Get Lei'd 5.0" Cruisemates Cruise. After that is the Allure of the Seas and there will be more to come.

Take care,
Mike

Old November 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Tim, for some people, depending where their cabin was, they felt very little. Our cabin was an aft balcony, and, we felt it all. It felt as if the ship was hitting the buffers on the pier, and I never really am bothered by the motion, but we rock and rolled all night..felt like continuous turbulance on a plane...

That said, I would book aft again in a heartbeat. The group was a nice bunch of friendly people, & I hope to cruise with some of them again. Nothing beats a Cruisemate cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
January is the "Get Lei'd 5.0" Cruisemates Cruise. After that is the Allure of the Seas and there will be more to come.

Take care,
Mike
I'm hoping for a CM cruise in 2013?
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Welcome back Trip & Mike (and all you other Epic CMs),

It was fun and informative to follow Mike's blog, especially since Kim and I will be sailing on the Epic come 11/27 (same itinerary, same type cabin -- but on Deck 9). In fact, I just found myself adding a few more items (beet salad, ceviche, seafood chowder) to my list of things/foods to look forward to. Sadly, I still haven't figured out what ceviche is!

I'm hardly surprised at your displeasure with the stateroom design, Mike. Just about all the comments I've seen on the subject said pretty much the same thing, about the strange divided "bathroom" and some of the other unusual cabin features that NCL has come up with. But I've noticed over the years that when NCL starts something that varies from the norm (Freestyle Cruising and automatic service charges come to mind), the other lines quickly or eventually follow suit.

This willl be our 8th cruise on NCL, beginning with the S/S Norway back in 2003, and we're especially looking forward to the entertainment package which they've come up with this time. We've yet to be disappointed in that area, not mention the great selection of dining options that the NCL vessels have featured for many years (especially since arrival of the Jewel Class five years ago). And the food is generally pretty good as well. Please note, I didn't refer to is as "cuisine".

Trip, I'm sure you performed admirably in your hostess role. After all, how could a lovely tea-drinking lady from Boston do otherwise? Actually, we would have joined you on the CM cruise if not for the fact that my dw Kim insisted that our cruise include her December 3rd birthday. And I was pretty sure that you and Mikey and the powers-that-be wouldn't be able to arrange that minor detail to coincide with your itinerary.

Anyway, welcome back guys. Wish that I could have come along!

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jack,

Good to hear from you. You will not be disappointed in the entertainment. It is first rate and a wide variety.

In regard to the cabin. I do believe that part of my dislike was because there were three of us in the cabin and that accentuated the issues of space and layout. I think it would have been less of an issue had it just been Betty and I. The "New Wave" cabin is a thing of the past and I don't think anyone is going to copy it. NCL has announced that there two newbuilds will not feature the "New Wave" cabin.

Say hi to Maria in O'Sheehan's for me. She's a great waitress and was working the night shift.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike
P.S. Happy Birthday Kim!