Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Default It's Tuesday, but it feels like Monday!

Morning Mates, from a very confused Canadian.
These long weekends, coupled with not working have me totally confused, I don't know what day it is anymore!

All I know is I have to out of here in half an hour because it's Aquafitness day at the pool, so I'd better get moving!

Hope your Tuesday is a good one....

donna
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Admiral

You are so right R/D! The same thing is always happening to me. I thinks it's simply because a job provides definite structure to our lives.

Boy was I wrong about yesterday's East Tennessee weather! The wind blew and it was rainy (sometimes heavy rain) throughout the day until dusk. The weather soothsayers predict to day will be nice and I sure hope so because they also predict tomorrow will be back to 90 % chance of rain and I have to cut the grass!

Prayers of course for those on the list and Blessings on all along with best wishes for a wonderful day for all and also, a fun and productive aquafitness day for our resident healthnut!

Todd
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Good mornin' gang. Still having record heat here in Central Florida. It's going to be in the mid 80's again today, with no relief in sight until the weekend. They're saying we may get a cold front that droops down this far, and will bring us down to more "seasonal" temperatures.
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are getting ready for yet another fantastic cruise aboard "Glory". We had to cancel our December cruise aboard "Ruby Princess" due to unforeseen business obligations, so I'm trying to make up for it in bits and pieces. (I love the Conquest class ships anyway, and "Glory" won't be here much longer, so I figured we'd take one last trip aboard her.)
Hope y'all have a GREAT day.

"SKY"
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All,

well from Eastern Ks. it's a chilly, damp morning with the anticipation of more rain today and tomorrow. In fact, the entire weekend was cold and blustery, the sun made an attempt to show it's face yesterday but to no avail the clouds would have none of that!

Now, it's back to work for me - I wish you all a great day!
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Morning gang,,

We are having chilly weather here on the east coast of Va. as well. Yesterday's high was in the mid 60's. Today looks to be sunny and a bit warmer.

Just getting back from Fla. on Sunday I am sure missing the record heat they are having. Sorry Sky,,,but I love hot weather,, I turned our heat on last night.

After being gone for over a week I am playing catch up at work,,,not fun.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday,,even if it feels like Monday

Prayers to those that need them,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest............fall has set in.......heat is on & running..........oh well...........

Still getting laundry done from the weekend..........

Y'all have a good day...........

Sharon
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Default It's Tuesday but It Feels Like Monday

Good morning from cold and rainy California. How nice to be able to say that!

We're off for our flu shots this morning.

Hav a good day!

Judy
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Not much happening here today... I was so happy to be able to sleep in a little this morning. I got up with d/h and packed his lunch, then crashed again. I did not realize how exhausted I was. It felt so good.

Well we're really counting down the days now until we leave for our cruise. 15 days til we leave and 17 days until we board the ship. D/S overheard us talking about how much we loved the canolli's while we were in Sicily last year. He said he sure wished he had tried one while we were there. So since we have a full day to shoot in NYC. we'd hunt down an authentic canolli for the boy (and us) to enjoy. It seemed like a fun thing to do. Also want to hunt around to see if I can find a good deal on Broadway show tix for that night. I love the shows there, but the last Musical I saw was Ragtime on Broadway in 1999, and at that time I was expecting d/s, but didn't know it yet. I have wanted to take the kids to see a Broadway Show but they always seemed too young in our past visits to NYC. Now I finally think they are at an age that they can appreciate it, and can sit still and enjoy the show.

The weather is clear and brisk right now. Last year at this time it was beautiful, everything was still green and 80 degrees. It figures, . It just makes me more excited to go on my cruise and get away from the early chill down. The leaves are turning and falling...sad, winter is on it's way,

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!!! I better get moving

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Good morning, Mates, from a warm and soggy Houston area!

We made it home after our 2 month RV road trip! The transmission on our truck went south before us, but we were able to nurse it back across the country. We had a tire blow out, on the RV, when we were 16 miles from home. That was very frustrating since we replaced all 4 tires in August, before leaving! As usually happens, the tire did lots of damage to the side and undercarriage. As I posted on another thread, I've been playing, now it's time to pay!

So..... you can imagine what my day will be like! Lots to do. The good news is that I need to get ready for our cruise in November! Busy, busy, busy!

Sending my prayers to those in need.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Good morning, from in the low 60's, Virginia Beach. I skipped going to the gym this morning because I had my annual sixth month health check up. For my fellow cruisemates, who are over fifty, I would suggest that they see their primary care physician twice a year. While at the doctor's I had my flu shot and blood work done. Rollerdonna, the days just go so fast that it is hard to remember one day from the next; I'm with you in that category! Hope all my fellow cruisemates have a terrific Tuesday!
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Having record low temps in Calgary. Yesterday's high was about 5 degrees F. Enough snow overnight that it's still on the ground this morning. EEK! If I didn't have things I need to deal with going on I'd be willing to head south NOW!

As I get older I better understand why there are snowbirds. My "old bones" are complaining vigorously about the cold weather.

I had some errands on my schedule for today, but I'm turning up the heat and staying IN.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Did someone mention cannolis! There are a thousand places to get good cannolis in New York City but if you like Italian pastries, Beenieweenie, you absolutely owe it to yourself to go to Ferrara's in little Italy down on Grand St. You walk into that place, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

I was taken there the first night that I moved to New York in Brooklyn (geesh, that was forty years ago ) and I didn't know doodly squat about Italian pastries. Nonetheless, I was stunned and became an instant Italian pastry freak.

When you leave, you'll have gained ten pounds just from breathing the air. They have huge cannolis, regular sized cannolis, small cannolis, etc. But I'm not a huge fan of cannolis. My thing are reall Ba-Ba's. That's a sponge cake (that can be filled with I believe some kind of Marscapone filling but I prefer the unfilled) soaked in a rum based sweet light syrup. That first visit in 1969 I knew they used real rum. Most bakeries ceased that practice however and I don't know if they still do. But I sure hope so.

The other of what appears to be thousands of various pastries will so confuse you you'll want to take one of everything......if you have a truck.

Take my advice B/W, it's worth it to go downtown.

Oh and be prepared to wait in line. It's probably not only the most famous but undoubtedly one of the best Italian bakeries in NYC.

I garrronnnnnteee!

Todd
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just had to reply when it comes to Italian pastries. Todd - you are correct, there is no place like Ferrara's and I know what you are referring to regarding the rum-soaked sponge pastries. Yes, they do make them and I live in a area where there are 3 fabulous Italian bakeries within a 5 mile radius. I recently had the rum cake - maybe they are now made with rum extract but they taste delicious. They are called "BaBaRum" cakes (phonetically pronounced).

BeenieWeenie - You might be able to get half-price tickets to a Broadway show. In Times Square there is a place called TKTS where all tickets are half price. They sell them a few hours before the show - Once in the morning for matinees and once in the afternoon for evening performances. The only problem might be getting 4 seats together but it is definitely worth it to try. FYI - Times Square has now become a pedestrian mall. They have tables and chairs and even beach chairs to sit on and just enjoy the sights. The ticket place is right near there. You might also want to check out Junior's. It is the place famous for the New York Cheesecake. Their original restaurant is in Brooklyn and they now have a place next to the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square. We ate there and it was fabulous. You have to try the cheesecake and then go for the Italian pastries. If you need any more information, please ask in this forum and I will be happy to respond.

Leyla from Long Island
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Mmmmmm.....as long as we're talking Ferrara's and pastry I've got to suggest sfogliatella (pronounced sfoy-ya-dell). They are sort of a clam shell shape of sort of crispy pastry with a ricotta type filling....mmmmm.....my favorite. Enjoy NYC with your kids!
Angela Z.